1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car Audio & Accessories Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mathloom, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hi guys,

I'm trying to do a few things with my friend's car.

I need to:

1) Fix anything that vibrates. He wants to install sound system and doesn't want those annoying noises.

2) What's the absolute best heat protection (windows) out there? What's the best affordable heat protection I can find online?

3) When people install sound systems, do they soundproof or semi soundproof the car? Isn't that dangerous though?

He's installing a sound system and one of these for his tablet: http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/twist-lock-suction-mount-6-flex-arm-diamond-base-p-1488-c-450_442.html

Any ideas/comments much appreciated.

2. liljojo

liljojo Member

If you're listening to music and the stuff in your car vibrates, you need to turn it down. Why would anyone want to destroy their hearing like that?

Unless you're using your car speakers as a PA system, there's no reason to get a system so loud it needs soundproofing.

3. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

With my Maxima which i recently sold I did a lot to stop vibrations.

Here is what you need.

Decent sized sheet of dynamat or similar product and weather stripping for doors and windows available at home depot. The padded kind with a sticky side to it.

Open up your card door (remove the screws) and unplug the harnesses.

Vibrations are caused by metal vibrating or harnesses jostling around. To stop metal vibrations you must add weight and that is what Dynamat does. You don't need tons. Just enough to stop the vibrations. For the harnesses cover all four ends with the weather stripping so when it hits the inside of your door it has cushioning.

I suggest with metal vibrations, add some dynamite, drive around and see if the sound it still there. If so add some more.

Are you adding 12's to your trunk? So much of the virbation from that comes fromthe license plate. Add dynamat to the back and it will knock out a lot.

1 person likes this.
  4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek:

mechanophiliac???? :confused:

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

6. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

If you are getting annoying vibrations because of your woofers, then try to pinpoint where is it coming from. In most cars, the license plate only has two screws on top and none on the bottom. This causes the woofers to vibrate the license plate and make that annoying noise.

Two ways to take care of this. First, you can use dynomat or a similar product. Second, you can go to Kinkos or Fed Ex or similar store and get a Manila envelope with the bubbles inside. Shove the envelope between the trunk and license plate and that will take care of the problem. The second way is obviously the less expansive way to take care of the problem. ;)

If the vibrations continue, then you need to check the car doors because that is another source for the annoying vibration noises. These are a bit harder to take care of and you definitely need dynomat or a similar product.

After the car is fixed, then you and your friend need to get in the car and bump the **** out of the system to these song:

E-40 - Rear View Mirror

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2SDP1g7eLi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

E-40 - Takin' Em Back

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RCO26r8CxdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Turf Talk - Bring The Base Back

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ra1qWMYB_c8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And finally, don't listen to this guy. He doesn't know what he is talking about. :cool:

Good luck with the task. I need to get a new car and re-install my woofers. I miss those ****s thumping my trunk.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Wasn't planning on it being loud at all actually. Just that his car has a lot of vibrating parts, and I know this from listening to the stock sound system.

#7 Mathloom, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Cars have feelings too. Haven't you watched Transformers?

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Who's car is it, exactly?

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Ok this is great advice. My friend spoke to a garage and they said they can dynomat his car quite cheaply (basically the online cost of the product + $100 labor). I think the guy told him he can get the entire car compeltely done for about $800? Is that decent? Is it worth it?

Keep in mind we live in Dubai and the dynomat does both sound proofing and insulation from heat. So he's wondering if it's worth it and whether he should use his 40% off gift voucher on it?

I'm completely out of touch with subwoofer and sound system technology so I'm not sure what we're going to do there. I've only just starting doing some research. If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's my ex-car :( lol sorry should've said his car