1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car accident in a parking lot - any advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BEAT LA, May 6, 2013.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Her lane leads to the entrance/exit. You should have yielded and checked both ways before proceeding instead of just going through and stopping in the middle. Sorry bro.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Wait, so you saw a car coming to the side of you and braked into the collision instead of speeding up to avoid it?

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Last night I saw your picture and was puzzled.

Thanks for clearing it up.

In general, EVERYONE should be looking out for their fellow drivers in every parking lot, no matter who has the right of way. It is, however, maybe a fault of the store owners or the strip mall peeps to not have a stop sign or a way to stop you from going straight across traffic that is exiting. Until then, you should probably apologize to the lady and thank the G upstairs you're with no harm... and... realize you did not have the right of way. :cool:

4. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

I think we have all learned our lesson at the end of the day. Be aware of others, don't assume you have the right away. There was a Gomer Pyle episode like this. Gomer witnessed an accident and told both drivers he saw the whole thing, so they both try and butter him up offering him bribes... hint hint.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but yeah, I agree with the others. If there is a "right of way" in this instance, she appears to have had it.

But if you know a lawyer who works for an insurance company it couldn't hurt to get their opinion.

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I thought parking lot accidents were no fault accidents? Maybe that just implies when both of the drivers are backing up though. From your picture it appears you may be at fault since she seems to have a right of way. However, I would bet money this will be a 50/50 and you will just have to pay for yourself and her the same.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Parking lots tend to be no fault if there are no signs. Parking lots are at the discretion of the insurance companies. I don't foresee her insurance paying out on this ordeal.

OP should have yielded and is in the wrong. The other driver should have stopped, but there is no way to prove she didn't have time.

Own up to your mistake. If you're a real ass, sue the business park for not having a stop sign up.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Regardless of fault, this is the right thing to do. This is what you pay your insurance company for...to fight for you, especially when it's not crystal clear who's at fault.

9. Classic

Classic Member

1300 in damages? File it under your collision deductible through your insurance and be on your way. Ain't nothing positive going to come out of this for you by trying to come out ahead. IMO. Witness might help but I wouldn't count on it. Your insurance company may try to subrogate this on your behalf and perhaps you get a portion of your deductible back down the road.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused: SRSLY? Read the entire thread again, man.

11. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Note to self, don't pull in front of someone and just stop.

12. leroy

You're right. Because the ClutchFans Morality Police Force says he's completely 100% at fault, he should give up and pay all damages.

This is how the real world works. He's not going to be absolved of any fault. The insurance companies will fight it out and eventually determine how much at fault each party is. If they determine the other driver has some fault, he'll get some of his deductible back.

#32 leroy, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Unfortunately with the 2 recent claims on his policy, he does have a valid concern abour possibly being canceled.

14. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I don't think anyone would say it was her fault with the pictures you have provided, so go for broke and sue the shopping center for not having adequate signs posted?

15. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Damn OP, you pulled out in front of this girl in her car...slammed on your breaks and caused the wreck then come on to CFs asking what you can do to put HER at fault?

Just man up and admit fault. You effed up.

16. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

From your drawing, it looks like you're at fault. She's on the main portion of the driveway where you look like you're supposed to stop or at least yield to see if there's any cross traffic. You can't just zoom out of your lane into that intersection. If you do, a crash is waiting to happen.

17. leroy

Many moons ago, my brother was driving down Woodlands Parkway, going about 50 in a 45. A woman made an illegal left turn in front of him (ran a red light and turned from the wrong lane). Both cars were totaled. Clearly her fault. But...because it was determined that my brother was speeding and he made no attempt to stop (whether he could have or not), it was determined that he was partially at fault.

The insurance companies will decide what percentage of fault each will be responsible for. Due to his past claims, yeah, he might have other problems to consider.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, you should have yielded. She's on the "main" road. It's yo fault.

19. The Law

The Law Member

Typically, no report will be taken by the officer if it was on private property. The only exception to that rule is if there is over 1500 dollars in damage then the officer SHOULD do a report.

You don't have to write a ticket to show fault.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm sorry, but people who have wrecks in parking lots, shouldn't drive. Chances are, one of you was probably looking at a phone.