1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

caprock canyons and palo duro

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jo mama, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

going camping for the first time up there next week and just starting to do some research...figured this was as good a resource as tripadvisor or yelp so here i am. leaving thursday morning and coming back sunday in time for breaking bad series finale. if you have been, what would you recommend to a group that has 3 days?

what are the cool trails to hike? sights to see? me and my group are all experienced campers and hikers...hike-in/primitive camping is preferred. how is it there? i also read something about cabins that have showers and kitchenette...anyone know about those? i also see pictures of a nice big lake at caprock...is that swimmable?

palo duro seems more popular, but i think caprock is bigger, has more hiking, looks cooler and would be less crowded. if you had 3 nights would you do them all at caprock or maybe go camp at palo duro too?

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I would do Caprock......cool buffalo and close by the home of Bob Wills.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

No Texans?....:confused:

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Can't say for Caprock but went to Palo Duro. Drive and scenery was nice. It was a daytrip hike and we did the Lighthouse trail. I liked it.

5. updawg

updawg Member

Are you going from Houston?

6. jo mama

i hate football. plus breaking bad series f***ing finale, so yeah.

austin.

7. updawg

updawg Member

That's a lot of driving for not much time there. But have fun. Palo duro is very cool, especially if you can catch it during a storm

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I will put a blind eye towards you not liking the Texans...;)

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

nice timing on this thread. i am planning a solo roadtrip next month. my friend who is an avid hiker recommended big bend, guadalupe peak and palo duro. please update after your trip.

10. Buck Turgidson

Go hike in France.

1 person likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great cheese!

12. jo mama

its about a 7-8 hour drive. ive driven further to spend less time at a place.

its not that i dont like the texans...i dont like football.

my sister was a cheerleader for the texans if that helps (she was the blonde one).

ive been to big bend about 8 times...cant say enough about how awesome it is out there.

i wish!