1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. acruz2

acruz2 Member

In my opinion Capela is not a 20 million a yr player but when you see a guy like Parker who had 2 serious knee injuries back to back yrs and he gets a 2 yr 40 million dollar contract it is understandable why he wants to get paid not to mention a guy sitting on our bench getting 20 million a yr to ride the pine. It is my belief the Rockets are gonna have to give him a 4yr 80 million deal.

TEXNIFICENT and Cstyle42 like this.
  2. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

You know what... sure..... if we can get rid of that pile of trash in RA... then sure... give cap the 4/$80 mil.

3. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

But the Rockets got to work with what they have.. and Signing Capela to a Max is not the end all be all to winning a championship, Morey have to win off the court and sign good healthy deals as well.. We can't just throw money around especially its already tight.. Chicago had the money to throw around like the Rockets had in 2016.. Ryan Anderson is our Jabari Parker and you see how that is working out..

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Holy mackerel, dude. Nowhere in that segment did anyone say "Capela's reps are saying something different." You are putting words into the mouth of that segment.

In fact, Ramona says they aren't saying *anything.* No denials, no nothing. She talks about how "it's interesting when contract offers leak. You have to say, why did that leak, who leaked it." She then says,
    • "I don't think this [leak] came from Capela's camp."
    • "Nor do I know if the offer even existed after he left the room, [July 1st]"
    • "It may not have been just a money thing as to why he didn't except *that offer*." She keeps saying "that offer." referring to 85/5.
    So, she speculates that he indeed rejected it that day. Offers after, are after, if they indeed are different now. I came away think Ramona indeed believes the offer was made.

Otherwise, she would have said she thinks that isn't the real offer...or was never made. And, one would assume Capela's camp would say something to correct/deny the offer numbers leaked....because it does them no good for teams to think the bar is higher on what Rockets will match.

Regardless of the facts, that segment does not say what you say it does.

#584 heypartner, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    mikol13, BigMaloe and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Please quote the part of the segment where Ramona says the Capela camp are "saying something different?"

Am I on crazy pills, or did Ramona not say that ... but rather The Cat assumes that's what Ramona meant and is spinning it into fact that they *are* saying something different.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Honestly on this particular subject I'm not sure what was offered or rejected on either side. I'm just hoping we can keep Capela long term on a contract that doesn't exceed 90 million over 4-5 years.

jch1911 likes this.
  7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Clint isn’t signing a 5 year deal when he knows he won’t get his targeted salary, not without a player option

8. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

In 2 years, if Capela doesnt develop a 3 point shot, his position could be non existent. No matter how good he is or gets, his value will decrease. If I were the Rockets, I wouldnt commit longer than 3 years for his new contract. 3 years @ $60 million with a team option for the 3rd is what needs to happen. That's what would be best for both sides.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Parker got $20 million guaranteed. The second year is a team option.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

"I don't think this [leak] came from Capela's camp."

The leak she's referring to is the 5 for $85M. THAT leak did not come from Capela's camp, so I'm in complete agreement with her. It's the 4 for $60M that I believe did.

Unless you think Tim MacMahon and Kelly Iko are making things up, the 4 for $60M report (or "Nurkic range") came from somewhere. I think the obvious conclusion is that it came from Capela's people, whereas this report came from the Rockets. And if an offer is only valid for a few moments and isn't available afterward, as she hints at, that's extremely important context.

I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth. I did not say Ramona said Capela's camp said something different. It's admittedly my interpretation of all the various reports and the best way to make sense of it all. But that's an ironic accusation, considering that's exactly what you did to me a few days ago.

P.S. As long as we're lobbing insults, how'd your theory work out regarding the Rockets having a shot at LeBron after he opted out?

jch1911 likes this.
  11. The Cat

Here are the facts:
    • Iko reports "Nurkic range" offer
    • MacMahon reports 4 for $60M offer
    • Feigen reports 5 for $85M offer
    • When asked abut the 5 for $85M offer, Ramona says "it's interesting when contract offers leak. You have to say, why did that leak, who leaked it... I don't think this [leak] came from Capela's camp."

Unless you think MacMahon and Iko are just making up numbers out of thin air (i.e. lying), their intel probably came from somewhere. And if Ramona is saying the 5 for $85M offer didn't come from Capela's camp (and based on the fact that it was a Feigen report, I feel confident it was from the HOU front office)... it shouldn't take a genius to figure out where the 4 for $60M report probably came from.

Now, did Ramona explicitly say that? No, and I never said she did. Just think most folks are capable of connecting the dots on this one.

#591 The Cat, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    BigMaloe and jch1911 like this.
  12. 1234567

1234567 Member

15 16 17 18 19
    Pay 85 for 5 and 5th yr player option

16 17 18 19 20
    Pay 90 5 year team option 5th yr

This should be ok by both parties

jch1911 likes this.
  13. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Might just boil down to if Capela wants to stay in Houston with his designated role or venture elsewhere with expanded responsibilities.

5/85 sounds like a reasonable contract given what he's showcased here so far, but could very well be a low ball on the open market.

14. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

What’s the timeline that Capela has to sign a contract or take QO?

htxaf likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When I saw that Feigen 5/85 report, I got the feeling that was leaked out from the Rockets organization to calm the Rockets fans.

The fanbase witnessed Ariza leaving, Moute leaving. People calling Tilman cheap. That 4/60 Capela report came out. We see Tad Brown telling people to calm down. "Do Something Morey" stuff etc. Then the Feigen article comes out and generally from what I have seen most people feel that is a fair offer to Capela.

Those are the optics from the fanbase and media landscape.

Now. My speculation. That 5/85 offer could have had a time limit on July 1. And the Rockets could have told Capela that offer is off the table if you leave this room and it reverts to 4/60. And at that point you are welcome to find your market with another team where we could match. So Capela decides to shop around ....and at that point it is true on the 4/60. But the Rocket initial offer is ALSO TRUE. It is just about timing and perspective. And each camp wanting to look good in the media optics.

NOW.....the Rockets from a negotiating standpoint, could COME BACK and say, "ok that 4/60 offer?....lets end this and we will bring back that 5/85 offer from day 1 and get this signed." Maybe at that point Capela would be glad to get that offer back.

Just a theory.

mikol13, dlite316, BMoney and 6 others like this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It depends on the value of the player. If the player is a starter, it's reasonable to assume that something could be gotten back via trade that's better than the bottom of the barrel free agents left depending on the point in time.

17. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Capela doesn't have a leg to stand on.. So he rather lose 12 million to earn 20 million more? that's a year wasted all for 8 million.. Rockets should offer 5 years 88 million no incentives and keep it pushing if he says No.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There's no reason why someone can't enjoy $60M on a good team in a good environment. $85M even more so. That's more money than 99% of us on Clutchfans will accumulate in our lifetimes.

I'm sure these players aren't going in and having stare-downs with seasoned executives over these things, it's the agents doing it. The only way the agents get paid is on commission from inflating the value of their client roll. Everything in business comes down to incentives. When you de-personalize a negotiation with a third-party agent, you're going to stretch capitalism to the extreme, and that's what we're seeing over and over in the NBA.

tl;dr - I don't have any ill will towards Morey or Capela at this point. Until I hear more, I'm sure that this is agent shenanigans. Gotta love 'em.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

One need only look at Isaiah Thomas to see how quickly things can turn

Hakeemtheking and Pat like this.
  20. The Cat

Agree on all points. Well said.

jch1911 and Deuce like this.