1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela rejected Rocket's 5 year $85 million offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James.B.H, Jul 11, 2018.

1. omgTHEpotential

He'll get the max, and his value will plummet. It will be so much lower by the time he'll be looking to sign his next contract. In the long-run, he'll actually leave money on the table by NOT signing with the Rockets. It's the perfect fit for him here. His strengths are highlighted, while his weaknesses are hidden. Dude will get so exposed on a less talented roster...

slothy420, jojolover and rocks123 like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree with you. 2 points in a crucial Game 6 is not good enough. Once the P/R was taken away, PJ had to play to the point of exhaustion. Clint did block shots well and rebound, but his perimeter defense wasn't good either. I know Ryan Anderson was mostly to blame for PJ having to play for 40 minutes a night, but Capela had a part in it too. Clint did play well in Game 7, I admit, but he has to improve in the off season. I don't think he is a 20 M guy. 5 yrs 85 M is generous on the part of Rockets, in my opinion.

3. rocks123

rocks123 Member

Capela you're too young to plan for your early retirement. Take the damn offer play great and get another big contract. You will not thrive on another team without harden and chris. Remember what Durant said? Your job here was easy. Dont be too greedy or you might lose more money in the long run.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Get money Clint, you deserve it you magnificent b*stard. All the kiddie posters in here eat booty anyways.

5. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

I’m guessing 4 years/72 mil might do the trick...

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that about double the max I’d have offered.

What’s the problem Clint?

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Capela needs to take this deal. If he rejects it for the qualifying offer, he immediately gives up an additional 12-13 mil next season that he would've made. What's he expecting to be offered next summer when half the damn league will be entering free agency? Best case scenario is probably around what DeAndre just got from Dallas. So he'll make an extra 6-7 mil a year. Ok, but he just gave up 12-13 mil in one year. So it wouldn't be til Year 3 of his new contract that he's actually coming out ahead on this. And all of that ignores the very real possibility that he sustains an injury this upcoming season or plays subpar and doesn't get a 22-25 mil/yr offer.

Don't be a schmuck, Clint. The market simply isn't there. The Rockets' offer is generous. Take it, get over yourself, and realize that you can still sign one more big contract in your late 20's if your skills don't decline.

slothy420 and DaonlyLA like this.
  8. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Clint wants to be in a City like L.A. not Houston..

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

DMO is actually Capela's agent.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's possible that a team has told him "Hey if you were unrestricted we might have offered you the max..."

11. count_dough-ku

No team even has to tell him that. Clearly he and his agent are assuming he's worth that. But what's the best offer he can get next summer if he signs the 1-year QO? 4 years/100 mil, right?

So here's what he's looking at:

Year 1 - 4.7 mil(QO)
    Year 2 - 25 mil
    Year 3 - 25 mil
    Year 4 - 25 mil
    Year 5 - 25 mil

Total earnings over the next 5 years: 104.7 mil

The Rockets' offer would pay him 85 mil(rumored to be up to 90 mil with incentives) over 5 years. So yes, he theoretically would be leaving between 14.7-19.7 mil on the table over the next half decade. But that's best case scenario for next summer. What if a max deal isn't out there for him? What if he can get a max offer, but it's with a team where he'd pay high state income taxes(the Lakers for example)?

I get Clint's thinking. Coming into this offseason, especially with the way he played in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs and parts of the WCF, he and his agent had to be thinking he was due for a massive pay day. But the market dried up quickly and a max offer became a pipe dream. It's bittersweet and frustrating for him, I'm sure. But now he needs to lick his wounds, accept the still very generous offer that's on the table, and move on.

luckyman76 and slothy420 like this.
  12. justtxyank

It's actually around $110 million that a team could offer him over 4 years, maybe slightly more next year.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rockets will probably match anything. Meaning they agree with this statement 100%...'er, maybe 98%. I'll have to check with 'holic

If I were Capela, my approach would probably be to demand the Adams deal from Rockets, and tell the Rockets, "You're paying tax due to Ryan, not me. I have no sympathy for you. You can get out of tax by dumping him, or when he expires. In the meantime, I'm not taking a pay cut." That's Morey's weak-spot, and I would just keep saying that to Tilman, since he didn't sign the contract; and he just might fold, because he doesn't have to blame himself, but rather Les.

But along with that, I'm negotiating with other teams on a 2yr deal plus PO. That PO will get me to 7yr tenure, which I can use for 30% Max if I really bloom. But if I become indispensable, I might drop the PO and resign early, because that will be the year Ryan comes off the books. And if I truly am a max player, and don't fear injury, I might do a 1+1 on the 6th year, or at least leverage a max length, max raise contract, by given the Rockets a 6yr-tenure max discount.

malakas and Aruba77 like this.
  14. count_dough-ku

Ok, I stand corrected. For the record, I don't think he'll get close to that amount. Not with all the other players also vying for dollars next summer.

15. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Capela should look at Nerlens Noel's situation.

Passed on 70M and now he's making MLE money for the Thunder in a back up role.

htxaf and BigShasta like this.
  16. justtxyank

I'd be surprised as well personally. I just don't think he's worth that type of money.

Who knows though, maybe Cuban has indicated to his agent they'd max him next year. Would be absolutely shocking to me.

17. justtxyank

Actually Noel is making the minimum. :eek:

Even MORE of a cautionary tale.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

...because he's actually not very good. He's better than the minimum, but he's really nothing special.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We are recycling the same contract calculation posts from DMo days. This is different. This is a legitimately high-valued player. DMo was high-risk, due to injury unknowns.

I'm a firm believer we are looking at this contract wrong. Capela may very well go get a 3yr contract to match (2+1yr PO), rather than likely any max-length contract at significant discount. It's much better to sign a shorter contract than a longer one, if he's giving a big discount vs Adams.

Where do you get that $10m number from? One deal is for 5yrs, the $100m deal is for 4yrs.

Capela not only has to accept $8m/yr less money, but he has to give that huge discount for an extra year. (Morey's wants his cake -- a big discount -- and to eat it, too -- 5yrs at a discount.) And if he hits that "unlikely" performance incentive, then he is surely a Max player, and even more stupid for giving an extra year at $17m.

If Capela is willing to give such a huge discount over Adams, Capela should go get a 2+1 contract with Player Option 3rd year. That will get him paid the fastest, as he will become UFA in 2 yrs with Ryan's contract expires and, if he really wants, he can take the PO and hit the market right on his 7yr tenure.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There are a lot of guys who are entering free agency next year. 36* players this off season signed 1 year deals so they can be a FA next year.

There will be a lot of players disappointed next year. Yes, more teams will have more money, but there won't be enough to give all of these the big pay days they're all looking for.

I'm not saying Clint should do this or that, but I just want to throw out there that next year's free agency might not be the bonanza that many are hyping it to be.

*As of several days ago; number is probably higher now.

hieuytran likes this.