1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela rejected Rocket's 5 year $85 million offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James.B.H, Jul 11, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

delusional. definitely kidding yourself.

amazing cf's. get a true elite impact player. still complain and whine they're not worth it. smh

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's one of the best players in the league. Not worth 35m for 4 more years. If Capela is worth 15 right now, he will easily be worth 20 in a couple years - he has demonstrated that with hard work, improvement, effort and loyalty too.

I don't have to choose between these guys. I'm a fan of both and the Rockets. But you made it seem like Clint is worth what you happen to think. That's not how the Rockets value players. If Clint were another team's RFA and we had cap space, we would offer him 20 per.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

based on the market and timing it sure looks like it.

and based on what? you just guessing?

4. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

You know Ryan got overpaid on a season where every player got overpaid a lot too his contract is decent compared to others and if he would played like he did his first season with us he would have been traded already or we would have probably won more games. Anyway is his hesitation to hit open shots and he seems unhappy with his role then he got injured.

And cp3 is a HOF without him we wouldn’t have won so many games last year. In fact we couldn’t beat the warriors after he got hurt. We still had Clint and Harden. And Clint was a no show. Capela is replaceable but cp3 isn’t as easy to replace even if he is 33.
    What Capela bring is he knows he role on the team. But there are other players that could fit here instead of him. But if Clint leaves to another team who knows if he will be as efficient.

No one is saying Clint hasn’t improved or helped us. He has but we could find someone else to pnr w harden and cp3. If he doesn’t want 85m/5yrs I hope he gets the QO and sees how he fairs in FA market. But would be very risky and he could lose money lots of money but trying to get more than he is worth atm.
    Look at Harden he got paid 15m or so before his big time contract he prove he was worth it and he got paid. Clint should get his money and get a big fat contract after 5yrs.
    He risk getting paid next year in another team and show he wasn’t worth it then after that contract getting paid less. If he stays w the rockets he already shown he knows his role here and Harden makes every center better by making the defense focus on him. Then after 5 years he could get an even bigger check. But that’s his choice getting a big check or risking getting DMOed.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

The team that pays Capela $100m will never reach relevancy, much less sniff a championship.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know about that. CP is a special case. I think Morey knew that Paul would not be worth 40m when he was 37 years old. But you had to pay him or you would go back to rebuilding mode. And he has value outside of his on court performance.

Ryno was a mistake Morey would take back. In fact, Ryno could well be the lesson Morey learned so that he would not give Capela more than what Morey believes he's worth no matter what the market told him. Overpaying a non-star player will tie your hands for many years. I think it comes down to whether Capela is projected to be a star player, worthy to be called part of a Big 3.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

There are 2 players on this team whose salaries illustrate that the Rockets do not only sign players to conservative contracts. It is objectively false to say the Rockets would not do it if they could. You asked me to GUESS who would, and I told you that's not possible. I don't have time for you to just jump from subject to subject, would rather discuss a more diverse set of views here. Thanks.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

i didnt ask you to do anything.

you said the rockets would throw $100 mil at him and nothing really shows that would be true.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Any other team, maybe. We can pay him it right now and be the 2nd best team in the league so you're definitely wrong with that statement.

lionaire likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I know all these things. I'm just illustrating that the Rockets do pay more than the value of a player's existing skills based on a variety of other factors.

11. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Why did he outplayed them? I wonder if our offense had anything to do with it. Our pace was too fast for them not just Rudy or KAT but their entire team. Once Utah got a plan Capela wasn’t as efficient. I think that was game 4 or 5.
    And if he wants 100m then he needs to improve either one of this or two at least. His frethrows, stop going soft on his layups instead of dunking (too many missed shots or attempts getting blocked even by smaller players), stop trying to block every shot especially when he is late, losing his position on rebound, stop trying to switch with smaller players even when his team mate could stay with his man ( that creates a mismatch for Clint a la Harden or for the other player covering their center inside the paint), stop trying to create shots on his own ( usually he loses the ball, or gets stolen, poked aka turnover or he takes a bad shot) so yea st least one of this and he should get paid that.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Look at Capela's stats and development every year he's been here. Imagine he just continues that trend at half the pace for 2 more years.

Now do the same with Paul.

I know we had to pay Paul - probably because we promised it in advance - but he is not worth 35m. If he were an RFA this summer like Capela and went onto the market, no one would offer him that money. That's the point I was making.

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I'm tired of this narrative that Capela only exists because of our team. There are other good teams out there who would be better than they currently are with Capela. Also, Capela will improve, and nothing of what he does will suffer except some offense. Capela is not demanding all this money based on his offense - he brings defense, rebounding, shotblocking, yearly improvement, playoff experience and athleticism too.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Listen guys, it sucks for ME that we can't just pay Capela a few million more than what his past performance dictates in anticipation of future improvement. In a perfect world, almost any other season, that would be enough to get us a trophy. But our top rival consists of as much talent and lots of paycuts. So if our superstars were interested in winning it, they would take BIGGER paycuts than those guys, and our owner would shell out significantly more than their owner to make up the difference.

But there are realities about this whole thing that we have to come to terms with. Paul has pride and Tilman doesn't want to break even with this asset called the Rockets - he wants to make money with this highly profitable asset he acquired. There's nothing ethically wrong with that, just like there's nothing ethically wrong with Capela squeezing every $ out of a team that does the same in every situation. Let's hope it goes well and we come out better than last season.

15. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

I hope he takes the QO that way we could see if he was worth it or not. Yea he could go to another team but he won’t be the same. Only if he goes to the warriors, I was gonna say the Celtics too but na they need a center who can shoot at least mid range. Maybe clippers but oh wait that was when Chris Paul was there. Which brings the fact that Dj wasn’t as efficient after he left the clips. He still got around his stats but not in efficiency because he didn’t get point blank shots. And dj always goes for the dunks. I’m trying to think which other team would bring the same kinda efficiency for him but maybe you can tell me.

And I brought out the gsw coz every center they bring has a good year like zaza, bogut looney

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

5 years 100 Mill
    Team Option on the 5th year

Rocket River

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Didn't Paul lead the NBA in wins shares or real plus minus again last year?

18. FR0497

FR0497 Member

In 2 years his shot will still be absolute garbage. We're wanting to pay a PnR guy with average defense $20+ mil a year. Crazy what today's NBA has become.

If he had at least a half decent shot then he'd be worth that money.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

We're not paying for last year, we're paying for the next 4.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't want to pay him $100M or even near MAX money because he's not a guy who can ever be The Man for you or make his teammates better. when paul went out with injury he couldn't pick up the slack, because he's so limited offensively and quite frankly in just not an Alpha. he's a great great complimentary piece but even on defense he's rarely able to dominate and take over a game from that standpoint either.