1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela rejected Rocket's 5 year $85 million offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James.B.H, Jul 11, 2018.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

have to include the playoffs in that too. homey shot 40% vs GS :confused:

lw17 likes this.
  2. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Even if we are capped out for the entirety of his contract (likely but not a given), as fans we should also care about how much Clint makes, even beyond a practical understanding that Tilman and almost every owner have a point where they aren't going to keep paying obscene tax penalties for minor improvements. The value of his contract as an asset of the Rockets for trade purposes is inversely proportional to the amount of money he is owed under his contract. If Ryno had 2/24 left on his deal instead of 2/40 he would be much easier to move.

The Cavs conceivably would have been able to surround Lebron with better talent if guys like Tristan Thompson and JR Smith had better contracts and wouldn't have been as difficult to trade, even though the same rationale of "Hey, we're capped out. It's just Dan Gilbert's money" applied. Just saying we'll be capped out for the next four years and there's no way we could want to trade Capela over the next four years is something that's not even close to 100%.

#242 ChillyPete32, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    dlite316 likes this.
  3. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Capela wants a Big Contract "100 Mill" plus want the shortest contract so he can hit free agency again in his prime "4 years". Not happening. Morey wants to control your prime years.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Man i love the Rockets and i want Capela to retire here but man i even find it hard myself to give him $100 million over 4-5 years.

Remlap and Htownballer38 like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Jettison him. He's the next Chandler Parsons. You've been warned. ;)

DaonlyLA and lw17 like this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

All emotion aside, Capela is really pushing his luck here. He's an above average defender, pick and roll man, dunker, alley-oop man and has good hands. That being said, he cannot hit a shot to save his life, is not mobile enough to play against the likes of the Warriors, goes up weak plenty, turnover prone and still fouls way too much. He's not a force like Adams, not the defender Gobert is, not the scorer that Lopez or Horford is,. Just because others throw out ridiculous contracts at DJ & Adams, doesn't mean we should too. I'm 99% confident he will be back, but it won't feel as good like before.

7. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Sign DJ next season 3 year 60 million.. after we move Ryan Anderson and Gordon's contract. Clint QO $4.83 million plus DJ's 60.. maybe less..

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He is worth it, just not to us. It so happens no one can offer it right now. They will next summer.

There's no shame in saying we can't afford him. No one else on this team took a pay cut or did any favors, so the hardest worker is not going to do it anyway.

Remlap and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Remlap

Remlap Member

I AM somewhat disappointed in CP 'hamstringing' our salary cap. (pun intended)
    He's surely no longer in his prime and if he TRULY wants a ring, then he can also make sacrifices.
    Players on other rosters have taken paycuts for the good of the team. LBJ once did it, and another
    player ***not to be named*** did it here recently for our archrivals.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed that CC is thumbing his nose at $85Mil. SMH. . .

heypartner likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Name me a team that would give Capela $100 mil. Just one.

11. aroundtheblock2

Hell no!!! Wow!!!! Absolutely terrible suggestion. That's a huge ripoff.

sotelo1111 likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

How could I predict the future? The Rockets would pay him that if we had it.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dallas next year. 5 years - 100 million.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yup, sucks for us and I'm sure Clint is bummed out. I actually dislike the "it's a business" argument. I'm just irritated with the people who shell that sentence out all year long, only to expect loyalty when it comes to Capela. Like I said before, asking for too much is no different than offering too little. It's a business. The payer doesn't sit on a golden throne.

15. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

No he isn’t worth 100m. He deserves more like 15m per year that’s fine but 20m that’s not what he is worth atm.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

doubt it. for a team thats so focused on value, they wouldn't throw 100 mil on a pnr center who isn't a franchise player. they're paying to be the role player he is

cerophilik likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

This is not a reasonable position for a team sitting on a 35/yr Paul and 20/yr Ryno. This team looks at value and market and situation, as always.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

you mean the hof pg who isn't a better fit next to the mvp and everything he brings who took this team to championship level isn't worth a max? a true elite player like cp3 is worth every bit of max. Whether you want him to take less or not as a sacrifice is the only question thats valid

its well known how ryno got his contract. not even worth discussing

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He's worth what the free market offers him + a number of other factors - and if he becomes UNrestricted we'll learn a valuable lesson. This is not Chandler Parsons. Clint Capela is 23 and just outplayed KAT and Gobert in consecutive playoff series before being sidelined by the best defensive big man of this generation (who himself did **** all in the series until Paul went down).

To us, we can't afford not to pay him that. We can't afford to be locked into Paul, Ryno and Harden for 2 years.

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Both situational. Paul is not worth the max. Any play WORTH 25m would have gotten us that far, didn't have to be Paul. Also Paul is still an injury risk and older than ever.

Ryno example is very important. It was what we had to do and it's illustrative of how this team values player as a whole. Ryno's career was not worth being paid 20m a year, but there are other things which you are leaving out in analyzing what Capela is worth.