1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela: Possible trade destinations!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Jun 1, 2019.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tatum, Brown and Hayward all play same spot. You can start 2 of 3 but not all 3.

Thinking 3 team trade. Send Hayward/lotterypick to Orlando or Indiana.

steddinotayto and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Good work.

Grizzlyshark and steddinotayto like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think the Celtics might have some interest in Clint in that scenario, i just don't know what Ainge would be willing to trade, 14th pick, 20th and 22nd...not sure i would trade Clint for those picks, even if all together, but like i said i don't really know the players who are going to be available in the draft so...

D-rock likes this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Should start with identifying the teams that actually need a long term answer at center:

Atlanta - Yes
    Boston - Maybe (Future of Al Horford)
    Brooklyn - No (Jarrett Allen)
    Charlotte - Yes
    Chicago - No (Wendell Carter Jr)
    Cleveland - Yes
    Detroit - No (Drummond)
    Indiana - No (Myles Turner)
    Miami - No (Bam Adebayo)
    Milwaukee - Maybe (Resign Brook Lopez?)
    New York - Maybe (Resign DeAndre Jordan?)
    Orlando - No (Mo Bamba)
    Philly - No (Embiid)
    Toronto - No (Gasol)
    Washington - Yes

Dallas - Maybe (Is Porzingis a center?)
    Denver - No (Joker)
    GSW - No (Looney)
    LAC - Yes
    LAL - Yes
    Memphis - No (Valanciunas)
    Minny - No (Towns)
    New Orleans - No (Zion)
    OKC - No (Adamson)
    Phoenix - No (Ayton)
    Portland - No (Nurkic)
    Sacramento - No (Bagley, others)
    San Antonio - Maybe (Poeltl / Aldridge)
    Utah - No (Gobert)

Yes - Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland, Washington, LAC, LAL
    Maybe - Boston, Milwaukee, New York, Dallas, San Antonio

IBTL, Deuce, Ramo$e and 2 others like this.
  5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Good post, but I would add Toronto to the MAYBE list. I don't feel like they necessarily look at Gasol as a long-term solution at C. I could also see them valuing Capela highly based on age and contract status.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Milwaukee would eventually look at a guy like Dedmon if they Lopez i think, Bud signed him in Atlanta too...
    New York have also Robinson
    Toronto might be rebuilding so, not sure how they would consider Clint, but Gasol would be gone if that's the case
    Dallas yeah, i think Porz is not going to play center, not as a starter at least
    Sacramento i'm not sure, are they even considering Bagley a center? he played the 4 most of this season i think...but i guess the 5 is where he's going to play most going forward...they also have Stein (restricted this summer) and Giles, even though i think he's more of a 4 than a 5
    Spurs yeah, i think they'd take Clint

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Dude, you wanted to trade Capela for Thon Maker who has an effective field goal rate below 50%. You definitely appeared to have guessed/foreseen/accurately-assessed that Capela wasn't ever going to beat Draymond Green consistently in the paint, but your answer was to trade for a garbage player.

Are you willing to say that Thon was a bad idea? Maybe if you are, your detractors would be willing to chat about your good call. Maybe they'll ask you what you saw, maybe they'll ask what you see as the solution, but being right about our player ******** the bed isn't like some great thing to celebrate. I have to assume you wish you were wrong about Capela.

8. basketballholic

Look at the dates and keep things in context. That was at the draft in 2017. If we had traded Capela at that time we would have avoided the last two post season disasters with Capela. And Dedmon (a player we could have signed who was and is a better fit for beating the Warriors than Capela) and Maker may have been raining 3's down on the Warriors and Draymond.

When we trade Capela for Biyombo or plumlee or Mozgov or Mahinmi or Miami's bad contract plus and we get a pick out of the deal.... let's just ignore the pick and focus on the crappy contract k? Would you'd accept that? No you won't. You'll focus on the POTENTIAL of the whole deal collectively.

But that's what the moron class is doing with this trade suggestion i made 3 years ago. They're not looking at what we could have done over all, who else we could have signed, and what our cap would have looked like last summer when we were forced to pay Capela and not pay other guys like Ariza and what it costs us in assets to get out of the tax.

Do you not realize that it costs us a first and a second rounder and Melton to move off Anderson and knight and get out of the tax????? Would we have to have done that if we had moved Capela for a first and signed a budget center like Dedmon?

Do you not realize that Jordan Bell or Jarrett Allen or Harry Giles or Jonah Bolden may be Rockets with one of those picks we lost dumping Ryan Anderson?????

Do you realize we may have been able to bring back both Ariza and Luc ... or at least have a replacement for Luc or been able to sign house jr long term or sign bruno to a long term low salary deal????

I mean..... really??????

Look....WE HAVE WASTED TWO POST SEASONS RUNNING CAPELA AGAINST THE WARRIORS. TWO POST SEASONS!!!!!!

If you cannot see now in hindsight that we would have been better off without Capela the last couple seasons and with low cost replacements with our assets invested elsewhere.... than you're a part of the moron crowd.

And i haven't even gotten to having all our picks today and sitting on a nice fat $20 million Ryan Anderson contract.

WE SHOULD HAVE MOVED CAPELA OUT FOR A COUPLE SECOND ROUNDERS..... RATHER THAN PAY HIM..... at the cost of all those assets. And you're trying to make a case that i was stupid suggesting Thon for Capela??????? Gimme a break man.

#68 basketballholic, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    RichieBanks likes this.
  9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree. Definitely possible, though I don't know what a trade would look like with them.

After thinking about it a little more, I can see Kevin Love. Clint's problem was twofold...he couldn't defend Steph and he was one-dimensional on offense.

Love can't defend Steph either, but he can score in a variety of ways and facilitate the offense.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Maker isn't raining threes on anyone. He averages 5 points per game. You have to hit at least three a game to call yourself a rainmaker. Dude doesn't even hit 1 a game. He's a loser and he'd be a loser if he was on the Rockets. Nothing and no team is going to make him the player you envisioned.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. This is hothead garbage and you're not even trying to communicate your idea.

Your trade idea was for Thon Maker 3 years ago and if we had that garbage right now, we'd be in horrible position to improve.

We didn't have the money to sign Dedmon in 2017. We signed PJ Tucker instead and that was the right move. We got damn close to beating the Warriors because of that decision. Your magical thinking regarding some magical signing of Dedmon (who signed elsewhere for real money not your play minimum he was supposed to magically sign for) is utter bull-tshi and you should know that, but occasionally you just start typing in anger for no god damn reason. Great material.

Ryan Anderson would have been a good signing if his career continued on the path it was on when he signed in Houston. His 14 ppg on 40% from super deep three would still be useful today if he stayed in that type of shape. He dwindled and now you think you're owed some apology by D.Morey because he didn't have a magic ball on Anderson? Again, magical thinking going on in basketballoholic land.

Capela isn't the solution for Golden State, but neither is your magical thinking. The Rockets brass always do their best to project what's going to happen. Also, your heroes Luc and Ariza went 7 for 35 from three in the playoffs against the Warriors. He's not a solution to beating Golden State. He/they went 2 for 18 from three in close out games and THAT'S your big highlight of Morey's mistake? Dude made 15 million. Why would we hold onto him for that kind of money if he's hitting 2 for 18 in closeout games.

Your thinking might have been right about Capela, but how in the world does that make you the brainiac for every other decision made out there? You're pretty full of yourself man and you made your bed on a somewhat iffy call. You're not on nearly as much solid ground as you seem to believe.

If you knew what humility was, you'd probably have more friends around here. I generally try to be friendly around here with you, but you saying I'm a moron if I don't buy your magical thinking... that's some serious bull. You're welcome to apologize for proposing to call me a moron with your if/then statements if you'd like. I'll have a hard time remaining somewhat friendly with you if you don't.

Richie_Rich, Roomba, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  11. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Within a season of trading Capella he will develop a mid-range jumpshot and generally plays better than ever. Anybody here, even the best athletes, ever been severely ill with two viruses? Takes some time to not only fully recover but get your feet wet again into the flow of the game. Especially with favored officiating for Warriors players that are flopping and undercutting.

12. basketballholic

I didn't envision Maker becoming anything. It was about resetting our salary cap and getting 4 years before we had to make a decision to pay a big man. If we had traded for Maker we would probably have rewound with Ariza and another 4/5 and been in a much better position. And we would not have had to give up a first a second an Melton to get out of the tax.

I'm not going to keep writing this over and over. It's plain as the nose on your face unless you've snorted so much cocaine that you don't have a nose left.

And I've never claimed brainiac status. But I am telling you I ain't stupid. (Did you go in that thread?)

Anybody that cannot see how we wasted the last two seasons with Capela and how much it cost us in assets to keep him and stay under the luxury tax so we can pay Paul long term is a part of the moron club dude. Sorry. You've got to be blind not to see or understand.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Id personally suggest (as a long time member of the board) That we ban holic for a year or so. Let him spew his vitriol on reddit.

There is a difference between arguing with civility and not arguing with civility.

Example 1.... Wagers his existence on board and goes back on deal when he loses.

Example 2...... 90% of his threads just contain inappropriate condescension towards someone.

I'd urge the other longtime members of the board to stay out of the mud with him. This is clearly a person who has no comprehension of humility. This is an internet forum for god sakes. We are all wrong about all sorts of s*** all the time and if you can't admit that (on occasion) then god help you.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Another way to look at the roster...how many players do we have that can add value (or just have neutral value) against GSW:

CP3
    Harden
    Tucker
    Gordon

We need 3 more players to add to that group.

Your other resources for adding a few more guys to the above group are the MLE, Capela, Nene’s expiring and our 1st round picks.

Of all the guys I want to bring back this offseason, IMAN SHUMPERT is someone we should prioritize. Everyone that wants to let him walk is being reactionary. He’s still in his 20s, is a good defender and can hit the 3 at an average clip. Since he doesn’t cost us any assets to bring back (unlike Rivers), he should definitely be part of our plans.

Deuce likes this.
  15. basketballholic

Ha. @Francis3422 is the Eric Swalwell of Clutchfans.

16. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Holic u overeated bud,u think u know everything and u think u are the smartest guy on clutchfans.stop it

17. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Hollic so u a rockets fan yet u have a miami heat player as your user pic?

18. biff17

biff17 Member

yeah I have to think his illness had a lot to do with his no show it you are that sick you don't recover that quickly, I also think things just snowballed on him and he got rattled.

19. basketballholic

Babble babble babble

20. basketballholic

Last response. Become a contributing member.

SinceEverSince likes this.