1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela: Possible trade destinations!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You're outlining situations where I agree it would be awesome to have someone who can defend and rebound. Every 3 pointer made is the equivalent of 1.5 blocks. Every shot changed is the equivalent of drawing your defender out to the perimeter.

All I'm sayin is we're not going to get everything. I think that if you were presented with the components of what's needed to win, we would agree that while a brutish big would be nice, it's not more important than wings, attacking guards, defense or overall depth. Also the brutish big is the most easily acquirable component, highly likely to become available in trade or for the minimum during the course of the season. It's the thing teams are most likely to waive/dump, and lots of non-playoff teams will discover they have absolutely no need for those guys.

Wings and attacking guards? You better stock up.

Before the season it feels like we can apportion our resources to get what we need. When the market opens though, everyone will have their hands on everything. Unless we're playing with leftovers - which has been a failed strategy for a couple of seasons now - we are going to have to be more dcisive with what we want to grab early.

I don't think we need to be worrying about the Nuggets, Blazers and Sixers. None of those guys can beat this version of James Harden. We need to be worrying about the Warriors, Bucks and Raptors.

IBTL and BaselineFade like this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Capela trade destinations: any team that knows they won't be competing with Golden State for a championship.

3. basketballholic

Capela will be traded.

jb86 likes this.
  4. basketballholic

Here's just one sampling of your opining. I ain't got time to chase them all down. You were clearly of the opinion that we should keep Capela unless we could trade him for a superstar and that we corks win a championship with this current roster.

And your ignorance is further on display with your statement about Ariza and Luc.

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

Just admit you were wrong.

#44 basketballholic, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  5. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

It is highly unlikely.

Do you know for sure any team looking for hot garbage?

6. basketballholic

It is highly likely. And may be announced before July 1.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where did I say we should only trade Capela for a superstar? I only said it was irrational to trade Capela for Thon Maker and that we have a dangerous team - so far we are the only team in the league to challenge Golden State supremacy in the KD era.

Luc and Ariza have done nothing significant in the last year but fade as they age and Luc as he still recovers.

You are spinning what I said to support your own narrative.

8. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

The basis for this conclusion?

Who willing to take our garbage, and why?

Is there a young team looking for a mediocre center?

9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

with all these trade rumors, i bet our locker room is going to be extra cancerous this upcoming season unless the players involved actually get moved.

10. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I mean if he unloaded Corey Brewer he can unload anybody, I know that. Im just saying, I dont think Morey's phone is ringing off the hook with Capela proposals. Especially after that series. Sometimes it isnt good just to trade for the sake of trading.

I doubt this league will help us any shape or form.

11. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

There is always trade rumors even during the season. They are pros they will be fine.

BamBam likes this.
  12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I went back and checked to see if there was buzz about Capela last summer in Atlanta. To my surprise there was. I’m talking about local media outlets and writers not the Hawks organization.

Popular opinion seemed to be that Clint would be a great fit with both Collins and Young. They want to play fast and get easier buckets in transition. Clint’s speed from rim to rim seemed to intrigue the locals.

Now I didn’t find anything from the Hawks organization or their GM. Everything I read was speculation but their was a moderate amount of buzz. Here’s a sample:

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/the-hawks-are-in-a-prime-spot-to-steal-clint-capela/

Clint may still have a lot of value for a team like Atlanta. But who knows. I can’t get a true measure of what Clint’s real market value is.

Clint still ranks pretty highly among nba centers in several categories, and I’m not including catching lobs. He can still out run most nba centers, just not Draymond. He can still be be effective at what he does against most nba teams.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketbal...ckets/players/clint-capela/rankings/19/10/169

Y2JT likes this.
  13. jowman

jowman Member

Yeah lakers are gonna give up their trade pieces for a star to get capela. Dream on.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Right now at #8 many are projecting Cam Reddish to be there for the taking and ATL has been taking the BPA the past couple of years. That said, going at #10 would probably be the best center prospect available. Is whoever they take at #10 better than Capela come opening night? Nope. Could he be better in the long run? Possibly but centers taken that high are always very risky and Capela, GSW warts and all, is a much safer investment.

The Hawks have more than enough capspace to absorb Capela's $15 million salary next year. Prince could become expendable not only because of Reddish but because he's due for a new contract next summer after his rookie deal ends. You take the #10 and Prince for Capela and you also get a trade exception of around $12 million (Clint's $15 million - Prince's $3 million) to use in a future acquisition.

Atlanta would have:

Capela
    Collins
    Reddish
    Huerter
    Young

That's a solid young core. Hell that team might actually end up being better than whatever Phoenix can manage to build/draft and they had the # 1 pick and Booker.

Who the hell can you get for $12 million?

Brooklyn:
    Spencer Dinwiddle. If the Nets end up getting Kyrie to pair him with a re-signed Russell as some are reporting, Dinwiddie could be the odd man out. With 3 years / $35 million left he could be an extra spark plug we add for depth or hell even be Gordon's replacement.

Cleveland:
    Larry Nance Jr. Looks laughable at first but Nance has put up consistent per 36 numbers of at least 12ppg/11rpg over the past 4 years. He also took about 100 3s last year, expanding his range. He's not the defensive equivalent of Capela but you're getting a player with the same bounce but also with more range.

Denver:
    Will Barton. HUGE PIPEDREAM here as I don't see Denver doing us any favors other than helping them to stay below the luxury tax line. Barton would be a Gordon replacement for sure as he can score, has range, and defense has improved over the years.

LA Clippers:
    Montrezl Harrell. I guess another pipedream as I'm not sure Jerry West will let Harrell go considering the year he just put up. That being said, at $6 million next year he could afford us the ability to use the remaining $6 million to add more depth.

Minnesota:
    Robert Covington. Everyone's favorite prodigal son! Although he helps Minnesota moreso than any cap room that can be generated with the removal of his salary, this would be a badass acquisition. Tucker, Prince AND Covington? Talk about a switch heavy defense.

OKC:
    Jerami Grant or Andre Roberson. Would Presti want to help Houston out? Probably not. That being said, would Presti want to help HIMSELF out by shedding some salary given that, right now, OKC is projected to have a tax bill of about $50 million next season? Roberson will be on the last year of his deal and Grant still has two more. Either player would be a huge get for us IMO.

Clearly the list above is heavy with wing players but I don't think that's a bad thing. What if you bring in, say, Nance Jr? The roster would look like

Nance Jr
    Tucker
    Prince
    Harden
    Paul

Gordon

We still have the #10 pick at our disposal to take the BPA or trade it for a future 1st or package it with Gordon for a better player. Who knows.

Hell maybe things go Morey's way this summer and he can use the exception generated to nab Will Barton, use the #10 and Gordon to get Myles Turner (Gordon has a homecoming season who also replaces Tyreke Evans, they get a #10 pick, and Sabonis now has the green light to be the Pacers' starting center).

Turner
    Tucker
    Prince
    Harden
    Paul

Barton as your 6th man

Would that be better than the current core? I'd think so.

#54 steddinotayto, Jun 3, 2019
    Y2JT, Hard_foul, treyk3 and 3 others like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

@steddinotayto Clint to Atlanta really makes sense, good partner for Collins and especially Young, he's still young and the contract is good...i don't know the centers available in the draft in their range of pick, on paper they could also package the 8 and 10 to get a 4/5 i guess, are there any better centers projected there?

Regardless, it seems pretty clear they have not much interest in resigning Prince since they shopped him this season, i guess they just don't know exactly what kind of role he would have there, cause he showed he can score, although not consistently, but he doesn't exactly look like a 3&D guy...personally i don't really know how good of a defender and role player Prince can be, but it's an intriguing player for sure. I don't see the Hawks give him away with the 8th pick though, maybe not even with the 10th for Clint, but they have a lot of interesting pieces to get, 8th pick, 10th, pick, Prince, Spellman, 36th pick...

As for the other names, just my two cents:

Dinwiddie, Trez, Covington and Grant are not getting traded if not in a package for an all star or a great pick imo, as for Nance and Burton i'd pass, especially Barton, he's too much of a chucker for me, he also got benched this post season in favor of Craig.

#55 Vivi, Jun 3, 2019
    Richie_Rich, Deuce and steddinotayto like this.
  16. steddinotayto

All fair points. From a team building perspective, the Hawks would have more of a need for Clint than the 10th pick, Prince or even both. Prince, from what I've seen, is a solid complementary player--something we sorely needed last year.

I agree with you about Trez, Covington and Grant probably being non-options or pipedreams as I had put it. I think with Paul's contract being improbable to move, using Capela to replenish the talent/depth cupboard is a must. Clint's a great center but I think Harden can work his magic with any big that has a high motor and good hands. That small sample size when Faried played significant minutes for us in the regular season is what I hope Harden can do with any incoming PnR big.

Y2JT and Vivi like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah absolutely, I'd be curious to see Prince here, he has talent and he's still young so, you never know, might even develop into something more...and as for the Hawks seems pretty clear their core is Collins, Young and Huerter so, they basically need a center and a SG/SF, they could draft Reddish and get Clint, they would set their starting lineup which would be kinda great since they've been rebuilding by just one/two years.

steddinotayto likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Boston another option if AD trade does not happen.

19. steddinotayto

Who do you think we can get in return from Boston? Genuinely curious because I would hope Clint can net us Brown but if Kyrie isn't returning then trading for AD makes little sense which means that Ainge would want to build around Tatum and Brown. Horford (once he opts into the last year of his contract) and Hayward's salaries are way too much to do a 1 for 1 swap.

20. basketballholic

We are after Cam. But not Reddish. Johnson.