1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela Has Made Dwight Obsolete

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No he doesn't he continually let's people know he is injured he is 100% an excuse maker - blame the officials, blame the teamates not getting him the ball, blame, blame, blame.

The sooner he goes the sooner the Anvil holding this team down is lifted.

DD

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I meant 6'10". Ok, that makes sense. Thanks;)

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't you mean because he has no shots outside 3 or 4 feet?

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Shaq on whether Dwight Howard should go to Orlando in FA next year: &quot;I think that would be good for the city.&quot;</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/717050970606161920">April 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I was listening to first take this morning and I heard Stephen A. Smith say that players have told him that they feel as if Dwight is not being used so that his value can go down and he can be resigned for cheaper. Wonder who true that is.

6. tzou88

tzou88 Member

But does it matter if he doesn't help us get there first?

7. rockets13champs

I think hes injured bc u see what capela is doing when be comes in for dwight. Dwight isnt being his explosive self. The rockets do try going to him early but he misses all his post ups and hook shots. Dwights causing his own problems. He needs to admit to his injury or something. I know that MCL is bothering him from the WCF. I remember he used to run the fast break first bc he wanted to catch a lob now he isnt going for those lobs. Im pretty sure hes injured.

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

We're going to miss some of Dwight's rebounding and rim protection when he leaves.

Clint is nowhere ready to be a starter. He needs muscle, some sort of offensive game and a ton of hand-motor improvement. He has difficulty catching passes and finishing strong on his initial attempt.

We're going to need some better help in the front court. I mean, if Beas isn't here (for whatever reason), we're going to war with DMo and Clint. That is terrifying.

9. DaDakota

100% disagree, Capela is already a better rim protector, is becoming a better rebounder, and is a willing team player.

Dwight has those exact same problems in catching the ball and now we took away his stickum!

Agree we could use more front court help....when Dwight leaves - but he has to go he is holding this team back.

DD

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

are we watching the same Clint Capela?? :grin: although I suppose I agree that he is a willing team player. ;)

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

transactions are not done in a vacuum.

While I don't disagree that Capela is ready for prime time and a starting job it is:

a) obvious that the team has flat out played better without dwight in the lineup this year
    b) will be able to back fill with another big(s) that costs less and will impact the team in a more profound/positive manner

I just don't see a world in which Dwight is any longer a valuable NBA player considering the money he wants - and I don't limit my view to the Rockets.

If he were willing to play for a team at a contract of $10-$12M/yr, I could see him being of value - but at $18M + he creates a significant problem for any team.

His offense is no longer even passable and his defense has steeply declined. Given how centers age - there is no reason to believe that this downward trajectory won't continue at an increasingly steep rate over the course of his next contract.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If Dwight committed to setting screens like Capela does, he'd still be a terrific offensive option. Unfortunately he doesn't, therefore he willfully limits himself. It's a damn shame.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

even if that's completely untrue it's a problem if a guy like SAS, who is supposedly in the middle of a lot of player conversations, is hearing about les and morey being that low. does not bode well for free agency

14. DaDakota

#94 DaDakota, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's not injured he hasn't looked good in years. He steps it up for the playoffs though so lets hope that happens.

That is way too much of a conspiracy theory. He is in the game for a lot of minutes and I doubt the Rockets brass can somehow communicate to all the players not to pass him the ball so he can be resigned on the cheap. Some of these things Smith comes up with are truly crazy.

16. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Have been a fan of Dwight's throughout his career, but something is really off at the moment. Whether it's injury, not happy he's not being used, locker room problems - whatever. But we can't keep the current Dwight and we shouldn't sign him at the max.

Haven't been as impressed with Capella as most. Still don't think he's ready to be a starter - but he's made great progress. He's only 21 damn it!
    But last night in the 2nd half he was a BEAST. I've never seen him with so much effort, enthusiasm, excitement. Can we get that Capella more please!

17. rocketsmetalspd

Dwight has been reduced to being Capela's back up. Dwight is not happy and will be heading out ASAP! I just hope he can just keep playing as he has for now. I also wish JB will give playing consistent playing time to KJ, Goudelock, and hoping for Harrell to get back from RGV. He still needs to serve 3 more games on his suspension.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

To me he's just out of the team, maybe they all know this, or maybe he's thinking this way by himself but yeah, after the all star (trade deadline) his game just went down hard, sometimes you can see that he's just not in the game, it seems that he plays cause he's forced to do it.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't realize that blocks per minute of a second squad player against other teams' second squad players was the KEY indicator of one's NBA starting center readiness potential. Thanks for helping me understand that. ;)

Look, I think "rim protection" is a lot more than just blocks per minute. For example, I don't see Capela as the presence in the paint that forces almost all opponents' players to alter their shots the way Dwight does. That's also "rim protection." Dwight still affects the course of play with how he positions himself, how he directs traffic, and how he communicates with his teammates on defense. Don't get me wrong: I am still disappointed in Dwight's overall performance this season as well. But I do not think that Capela is (a) "better than Dwight" in any ultimate, meaningful sense, at least not yet, nor do I think that (b) Capela is an NBA starting center right now, today, this minute.