1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela Has Made Dwight Obsolete

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'd pout too. There's only so long you can fight for position and not get the pass, being hacked on nearly every play with a no-call, before you stop trying. I don't think Howard was the problem this year. I'm not saying I think it's something else -- I'm flummoxed -- but Howard hasn't been the problem. When he gets passes he scores in double digits. When he doesn't, he still boards in double digits. And he is still a force on defense.

Bit ironic to see you posting about someone else pouting too much, btw. Still upset over Boki I guess. I understand. :(

1 person likes this.
  2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yeah. Dwight deserves to be pissed. This team did him dirty (while he was our most consistent player) by not even bothering to learn how to do a damn post entry pass.

Over the last 3 season I must have seen hundreds of plays where Dwight's seals his many completely off and no one can get him the ball.

What an embarrassment.

3. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Dwight is no longer a force on defense.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You are such a little "try hard" aren't you?

Boki, lol - that is weak sauce.

Dwight is a problem because he doesn't try, and that is weak, I get why it is, but he can't be counted on anymore and as such we don't need him.

DD

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He has no moves whatsoever, regardless of where you get him the ball. On the offensive end, if it's not an alley oop or a put back on a rebound, it's wasted time when the ball runs through Dwight's hands. Their spacing and energy is completely different when Capela is on the floor in place of Dwight....and it's better.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Between FTs and sealing his man under the basket, DH should be able to avg 20pts a game without issue. Then add in put backs, alleys, and the occasional post up and he should be putting up 24-26pts a game. AND have his name mentioned along side Lebron, Curry, Durant, etc as one of the best players in the league.

DH is one of the biggest wastes of talent in NBA history.

7. DaDakota

He is a more athletic Asik at this point.

And this weak minded passive aggressive little bull**** he pulls is exactly why Barkley and Shaq are all over him, and stick people like Durant call him a p***y....because he is 100% a front running player who folds when things don't go his way.

The sooner this loser is gone the better this team will be.

DD

#67 DaDakota, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  8. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Dwight Howard should play like Capela

9. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

He sure doesn't hasn't played like it and that's all that matters the last time I checked

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think that's a little much DD, but I will say this-

Not sure i've ever seen a player go from underrated to overrated this quick. He really regressed this year, and if not for a strong postseason last year, he would have looked even worse last year.

Dwight's public perception from his departure in LA to the end of last season was uncalled for and made him sort of an underrated at the time. However now as he's declining and not adjusting to make himself more valuable, he's instead reinforcing all those negative things that people held over his head for years when it wasn't really an issue then. Now those issues are real issues that affect him being productive for the team.

Those issues are - his arguing and whining at the ref after every SINGLE PLAY and not getting back. His free throws. His slumping personality on the court when he's not getting the ball. Always pointing the finger and raising his arms when someone else on his team (he thinks) made a mistake. His off the court aloof personality that shows he doesn't take the game serious enough. etc. etc.

All of those things weren't issues when he was still dominant. Now that he's not, and he still does these things that drive folks like Barkley & Shaq crazy, he's just reaffirming that they were right to begin with.

Dwight is who he is. He's not all the sudden going to change this year. Maybe in a couple years he will finally grow up, but its not happening now. I think the team will take a step back in talent, but make up for it with a cohesive locker room, and we can either see Capela grow or go out and find another Asik to do what Dwight does for this team.

Also.... the fact is the Rockets SHOULDNT NEED a Dwight Howard in the middle to be a halfway decent defensive/rebounding team. With better execution and discipline from the other guys & better coaching on that end of the court, the need for a Dwight Howard will be reduced. I'd rather see the rest of the team just simply get better defensively, rebound, and hustle then to have to resign, overpay, and deal with Dwight Howard.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Capela did well protecting the paint last night and has a somewhat bright future. No sure if he'll ever be starter material, but he should be a good backup for over a decade.

He needs to bulk up and improve his FTs.

12. DaDakota

Ditto, declining stars who get by on Athleticism and never develop their skills are not who you want to tie your franchise to - witness Steve Francis rapid decline.

Dwight is done as an elite player, he never developed the skill game that will allow him to transition to a quality player after his athleticism completely leaves him.

Better to cut your losses and run now.

DD

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why isn't DMO the backup center being 7' and Capela playing forward at 5'10?

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Debbie, Capela is not 5'10, more like 6'10 with long arms

He has a longer reach and wingspan than DMo and is a far better rebounder and shot blocker. Also his offense is limited to PnR slams and offensive put backs. He cannot play the 4 effectively

15. dragician

dragician Member

WELL SAID!

16. StrawberryJamm

His declining foot speed and many years of programming that he needs to be defending the rim make him a liability against the pick and roll, smart teams can easily get open shots with him on the court. I don't see it as an effort issue, I like Dwight. What Capela has that Dwight doesn't is the ability to switch or show and recover, and it's a big deal. This is also why Jason Terry should only see the court to shoot free throws to close out a game.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Because Capela can't stretch the floor. He is a smaller version of DeAndre Jordan with a little better touch.

BTW, I wish Dwight could play the DeAndre Jordan role. He should be able to do that quite well if he stays focused. That's all we need him to do at this point of his career.

18. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

No way is capela better than howard right now. Id still rather have him on the court because howard has quit on the team, or hes injued.
    The only focus of this team should be to doing everything on making the playoffs, yet all he does during games is pout, whine, miss fts, miss rotations, miss close outs, and doesent box out. I will say however yesterday he was boxing out and battling inside for the rebounds, even though adams beat his weak mind again and got him to have foul trouble all game.
    No way does a quitter deserve a max, bye bye dont let the door hit you on the way out.
    He knows how to **** up 3 years of great work in one big swooop, first orlando now here.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Dwight has been a major force in the playoffs for the last few seasons. That's one thing we CAN'T hate him for.

He's been so bad this season that I almost feel ashamed saying, but he was a strong performer in the playoffs each year that he's been here.

This year has been so bad that I have no idea what to expect IF we make the playoffs.

20. rockets13champs

I feel dwight is injured and keeping it quiet he has a history of doing this