1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela Has Made Dwight Obsolete

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Shotblocking, hustle, finishing around the basket.

Of course, to my eyes, Dwight has been a net negative in many games this season, so seeing Capela out there doing anything positive is refreshing to me.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

True, the blame is not all on him though. I'll wish him well wherever he goes.

Capela really hasn't been good this season. Obviously he had a good game today, but I'm not sure he can be a starting center in this league. Time will tell I guess.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think Dwight's made himself obsolete. Capela's reasonably good production at a fraction of the cost of Dwight's contract is just the final nail in the coffin. This team would be insane to bring Dwight back next season, even if he was willing to accept less money.

4. malakas

malakas Member

shotblocking and occasional hustle which leads to an enormous foul rate which makes him unfit for a starting center. He's not a good finisher at all for a C. Because he's still weak.

Now if in the summer he puts on 15 pounds and improves his defence and finishing and his foul rate he could be a backup for a contending team. But as he is now? nope.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Howard is the better player but he isn't worth $20-$30 million anymore. His defense has regressed and his offense has always been just out athlete everyone.

Between the injuries, miles and age he could see a massive decline very soon.

Similar guys like DJ and Drummond are surviving because of their youth. Howard just doesn't have it any more and we need to move on. Capela would be fine along with Dmo or another vet as long as you add a max player or two next year.

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

He's shot 76% on 6 tries a game for the last month after he changed his shooting form.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Howard should just practice where he ever leave the ground to do anything, not even block shots, to focus on skill rather than any type of athleticism. Changing shots around the rim as well as using the rim to shield the defender.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

To think Dwight almost got traded to the Bucks...

9. dmoneybangbang

Of course Dwight isn't "obsolete" and we are going to need "playoff Dwight" against either GSW or Spurs. Dwight will be playing for his last big contract and has every incentive to do well. Otherwise, he will be looking at a winding down career.

1 person likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Rockets are better off if he doesn't play any more - he doesn't want to play, doesn't play hard, the team plays better without him.

We need a Faux Ankle sprain so we can sit him and move on now.

DD

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Unfortunately that's going to be impossible as he's spent his entire basketball career - even spanning back to pre highschool - just being quicker, stronger and able to jump higher than anyone.

He's never had to work on fundamentals. And we're seeing that now.

12. Mr Chuck Norris

no he hasn't stop it.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dwight and his pouting made himself obsolete.

DD

1 person likes this.
  14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yes! This is what I was referring to.

Plus Capela is still very young, he has time to work on it especially this summer.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are looking at the end of his career. He will never be a significant piece to anything.

He's not a bad guy, just not a very useful one.

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is Capela playing center instead of DMO? It seems like Capela is better suited to play forward with Dwight or with DMO, but not as the Center. I don't like DMO and Howard together on the court. You need someone quick and agile like Capela to get back down court quickly for offense. I think that was Brewers role honestly. Too many times we transition back on offense and our bigs are still on the other end of the court when we take a shot.

17. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Let's see what playoff Dwight brings this year

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Playoff Dwight will show flashes but mostly will disappoint. He's not the same player as last year even. He's declined.

One big reason this team is mediocre is that Dmo has not been healthy and Dwight has declined.

I think Dwight plays very slow and soft now. He will get you rebounds, but not much more.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Can people shut up about playoff Dwight now. I really don't care if he averages 20-20 in the postseason, you don't get paid $22 million dollars for 4-7 games (because we will lose in the 1st round).

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

If you liked Hack-a-Howard, you're going to LOVE hack-a-Capela.

I'm still very high on him though and I think he's the sort of workhorse that might be able to overcome free throw problems with time. He was thrown into the deep end out of necessity and has had to grow up too fast. I expect a lot out of him when he's had another off-season to train.