1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela deal lined up pending on Butler agreeing to rockets deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 28, 2019.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, my point is that it seems it would make the most financial sense for Butler to actually opt in and get that crazy super max next year especially if the 76er's are only offering a 4 year max (just speculation on my part). Of course this is assuming he doesn't need that money now.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is just me speculating, but if this is really the Rockets trying to bring about the opt-in scenario, I wonder if they are really prepared to go through with the hard cap scenario or if they would end their pursuit if we get to FA.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

I kind of agree, but three things about Clint bug me, and I'm not sure he'll fix any of them:

1. He should've developed that hook two years ago and hand it down pat last year. It's still iffy.
    2. He's not a threat from outside the paint, either via a jump shot or post moves. I'll give him credit that the post moves showed up a little bit last year.
    3. I really want to see him ramp up the aggressiveness. He has a height advantage against small-ball bigs and a quickness advantage against traditional centers, and I want to see him *aggressively* exploit that whenever possible.

He's a solid starter with borderline All-Star potential. That's not as hard to find as an All-Star wing with a mean streak who plays both ends of the court and has proven to be great in the clutch.

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Ah I see, show Jimmy how serious they are about acquiring him but really hoping he will just accept an opt-in trade so we can keep more assets and not be hard capped.

Also, it is interesting that we have not heard any rumors of potential deals around Gordon or Tucker today. Since the rumor is only about Capela, maybe that means we are pushing hard for the opt-in trade only right now. The opportunities are limitless with an opt-in so here's hoping Jimmy does the right thing.

malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  5. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Could be Ainge spilling the beans.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  6. lionaire

lionaire Member

If so I believe the last day for that would be today

7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

We'll find out tomorrow as the deadline for Bulter to opt in expires after tomorrow.

saleem likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'll say this much: After last summer and this summer, if Butler decides to go elsewhere, I think Morey should give up for good.

I'd hate to see the presser where DM and MDA are all smiles on either side of a 34-year-old Jimmy, a la the Melo conference.

J Sizzle likes this.
  9. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would the luxury of gold in Capela”s hair put the Celtics in tax payer status?

Bids9 likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

How would that pressure Jimmy? It would show him instead that the Rockets don't want him bad enough.

We are trying to hoodwink a guy out of millions of dollars with the promise of winning a championship..we need to show him how much we want him and that we are rolling the red carpets and have everything ready to get him.

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Butler is a great player. Obviously we need someone who can hit another gear in the playoffs. I still feel like it doesn’t matter with The coach that we have. Hard to get too excited.

saleem likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I can't see the Rockets backing out at that point.

The organization has already been raked over the coals by the media and fan base.

What is going to be interesting is the Rockets/Sixers negotations. The Sixers will have a tremendous amount of leverage because the Rockets will do just about anything to get Butler by that point. The Sixers will likely come out of the deal quite well.

BigMaloe, Deuce, fattz and 4 others like this.
  13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

At this point, the Rockets have to land Butler. It’s hard to imagine Capela and Gordon being happy as members of the Rockets next season.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Not sure. Brand is a rookie that has already proven that he isnt that good, and is under immense pressure to salvage some kind of asset.
    Especially if Harris has some meetings in the meantime and there are leaks that some team offered him the full max and he's about to leave..

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Clint's our Red Lobster who flames out when Draymond pins him down or whispers dirty details about his mom

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

All the pieces are in place. Let's get it done, Jimmy!

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lol expect fireworks on opening day

18. Nook

Nook Member

Brand was dumb dealing all the assets for Butler AND Harris last year.

I am sure he is somewhat fighting for his job, and if he can recoop multiple picks from the Rockets then he can likely save face.

What I find more interesting is the whispers about the Sixers.... basically that their two best players just aren't dedicated or serious enough to win it all.

19. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Rockets news today is pointing more towards an unsure direction from Butler's camp. Seems Rockets have done everything they can to get him here, now its really on Butler to be vocal like CP3 was and force the issue. I think Sixers are ahead but Rockets are definitely a 50/50 shot rn. Another question, do you all think that Jimmy not opting out yet has some significance to it?

RichieBanks likes this.
  20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Unfortunately, it’s not that surprising. Ben Simmons did nothing to develop a jump shot or work on his free-throw shooting after his rookie season, and Embiid has been in the league three years and has yet to develop a proper diet.