1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cap Situation Going Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball1217, Jul 13, 2014.

1. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

First of all the bench is weaker. We don't know if the PG's on the roster can replace what Lin gave us, and I know for sure we have nobody that can give us the defense that Asik did.

This team wasn't playing well last season, this team is different from the team of last season.

We replaced Parsons with a catch and shoot guy who can defend. Sure defense will be better but as we say when parsons was out last season, the offense went to **** because we didn't have guys moving without the ball, the ball became stagnent etc.

OKC and the Clippers have pretty much the same team but smashed us all season. Portland got stronger with Hawes, Golden State is about in the same place. Spurs have kept the same group together.

This team will be fighting for the 5/6th seed.

2. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

Question:
    what is the value of lin's TPE, can't we just trade for someone and fit it into the cap space???? and if we sign someone it is extinguished so what is the value??

3. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

QFT (Quote for truth). This is so spot on, wish I could rep twice.

Here's the challenge; Getting someone who Minnesota is very interested in, that has a long enough contract to make it worth Minnesota's while but at the same time not clogging up the long term cap flexibility for the Rockets. That is a very fine line there. I'd say you would do best using it on someone on a rookie scale contract that will end up as a restricted free agent, that way the contract length means less. That said, the larger salary rookie contracts are usually either elite players that aren't going to be traded, or perhaps they are busts.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The value is Lin's cap hit, 8.37m, it takes up cap space (but we are above that), we can use exceptions, such as the MLE without it being extinguished. It means in effect, we can sign up to say $65m (or whatever) then trade for someone =< 8.37m

1 person likes this.
  5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am not so sure. Our euro guys are not in that high regard. We''ve got Papa... for basically nothing in the TRob trade. Capela was a late first rounder this season. Dorsey? Adrien? A 8.2 million dollar player that another team just wanted to dump (otherwise we would at least lose a pick)? Outside of the NOLA pick I wouldn't call any of these a real attractive asset.

We are basically gambling again. We try out several talented players and hope that at least one surprises us - and thus turn into a valuable asset or piece of the rotation.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Jones is valuable, but his salary is too low to do much of anything in a trade without filler.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

how does it look now after all the new players, including the kostas deal if it goes through?

8. basketballholic

We have enough salary available in Jones combined with the non-guaranteeds, combined with Hamilton and/or Garcia that we could trade for a player(s) making over $15 million annual salary.

We have 2 TPE 's as well that COULD be used to take back long term salaries (like Kevin Martin and Chase Budinger).

The TPEs may be held as we use the BAE and MLE to sign guys that can be traded on December15th.

9. bball1217

bball1217 Member

See post #36

10. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Kostas will be signed using BAE or portion of MLE.

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I think we have one TPE (Lin)... when we got Ariza in the 3-team trade, no TPE b/c of Ariza's salary/*

12. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Yeah, that's right

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

After reading the Larry Coon FAQ again I am almost 100% sure we
    Can use the TPE along with a player to sign and trade a higher salary player. Yes, a TPE cannot be combined with any other execptions but the FAQ does not say anything about it not being able to be used in conjunction with another player. Also in the Ariza sign and trade ( a three way trade in which all teams sent out and received players ) the wizards received ( or more accurately generated) a TPE equal the the Asik one. Until I get official confirmation ( BIMA or another respected journalist / poster ... I'm going to be extremely confident that we can sign and trade for a player for a larger contract than just the TPE allows.

14. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Replaced Parsons with Ariza- one of the most inconsistent players in the NBA.
    Replaced Lin with Canaan- IC is as green as they come and has only a handful of minutes in the NBA.
    Replaced Asik with - nobody, probably top 5 defensive center lost with no replacement.

We added - Dorsey (a scrub,9 teams 8 years), Gee (a terrible scrub) and Hobson (a scrub)
    Picks Johnson and Capella will probably make the dleague this year and brought over for need.

So I ask YOU why do these things not make us worse so far this offseason?

15. bball1217

bball1217 Member

You can't. See Coon's FAQ #85:
    We can however use the TPE to aquire a player with salary under 8,370,000 and then use that player in another trade. And Bima already confirmed we don't have a TPE from Asik because we absorbed it by getting Ariza in that trade.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Wizards generated a TPE because they traded Ariza into the Rockets cap space took back no guaranteed money. I think the Ely contract may have knocked a small piece off of the TPE, but that's it. They weren't traded a TPE, they generated one.

Note that you don't actually trade TPEs to a new team. The TPE exists on your cap and allows you to absorb salary into it. It sometimes looks like you are trading the TPE because it can generate a TPE for the other team in the process.

You cannot combine a TPE in the same transaction, but it is possible to work two separate trades where you are combining the player with the TPE as long as it is possible to construct those deals independently of each other.

Also important to know: The TPE is a fixed number. If you acquire a player for less than the TPE, you still keep the remaining amount so you could technically use say an 8 million TPE to acquire multiple players.

17. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

After listening to Morey, I now feel like it doesn't really matter who we pick up as long as we keep cap flexibility and aquire tradeable assest. It is all about getting a 3rd elite player.

He is not worried about building a team. To me, with 2 of the top 10 or 15 players in the leauge, you should be a title contender every year. Seems Morey feels differently. His only goal seems to be getting a 3rd elite player and until then he will keep getting assest or flexibilty.

There were enough good players that you could have built a very good and deep TEAM this offseason with our cap space, but his main focus was on Melo and Bosh. If you get them great, but to have that as your only real option has left the fan base dissapointed.

I've been a huge Morey guy since he has been here, but the desperate NEED for a 3rd Elite/Max player has made me realize that Morey cannot or will not build a TEAM.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Where did Morey say for going for a 3rd elite player in next year or later? Are we going to make Howard mad to leave for waiting before we can pass the first round? The team has to pass the first round before talking about winning a NBA title with or without a third star. A third star does not mean anything if you do not have good role players and good coach.

19. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Didn't Morey say history tells you a 3rd elite player is basically needed to win a Championship?

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think its much more simple than any explanation we've heard so far....

He doesn't want to be Dwight's Orlando Magic team all over again. Matching Chandler's contract made the next 2 to 3 years about as un-flexible as anyone can imagine. That's a great way to lose your star players as previously shown and about the worst thing a GM can do to a team that is good but not great.

I think Morey could give a rat's a#$ about cap space (although its nice to have for trade purposes). I think he wants as many assets as possible, valuable contracts, and good players that are sought after around the league or can be moved in two shakes of a lambs tail if they dont pan out.

Essentially Morey wants a team around Dwight and Harden that is similar to the one Post Yao that is good, but can easily turn into... well Pau Gasol & Nene, or another James Harden.... but is still pretty good at the same time. Think about that team with Lowry (prev. one of the best contracts), Scola (was a great contract before extension), AB (rookie salary), Budinger (rookie salary), etc. I think he wants that type of team with those types of contracts on the roster around Dwight/Harden in the short term that can easily be flipped for an "elite talent".

The only thing cap related to note is 2016. Obviously due to several different items, Morey is setting up the salary cap to have the ability to rebuild & make a significant offer to the many players that will opt to become free agents that year due to the new TV deal, CBA changes, lockout, etc. that will make that off-season free agency period pretty damn epic.

Oh... and Kevin Durant.

#60 dobro1229, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.