1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cannon or Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cxdom, Oct 23, 2014.

Tags:
?

Cannon or Smith

1. Cannon

87.1%
  2. Smith

12.9%
  1. bmd

bmd Member

I'm not saying that's the only reason. I'm saying that's probably why he's ahead of guys like Harden in that department.

2. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

if only canaan was 5-6 inches taller.. we wouldn't need this debate.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think they are pretty much both .... hot garbage. If you could combine them into one player , you might have something ....

I don't know which way I'd go because they are like polar opposites of each other and both ends of the spectrum are needed at different points in time.

I'd probably give Canaan the edge in making the roster solely because of his contract.

I think we'll only see a three guard rotation with Harden , Beverley & Terry getting the majority of the minutes at both guard spots with Garcia seeing most of what's left.

I'd really like to see them "fix" the position but think the assets are better spent getting T.Jones out of the starting lineup as he just looks lost far too often.

Maybe there will be a surprise cut from another team they can pick up.

To be quite honest , I'm more interested in who makes it between Black , Adrien & Dorsey. If you go strictly on production Black has to be ahead.

4. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

There is ONE BIG PROBLEM with CANAAN..............

MILK HAIR

McHale just doesn't trust/like Canaan or whatever. I think if it is up to McHale, the backup PG job is already Ish's, even though I agree with most here that Ish sucks to me.

Canaan is by no means perfect, but he is light years better than Ish with way more upside in my opinion.

MILK HAIR might just do us in again this year. smh

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

One thing's for sure, to best defend your perimeter, every city needs a Cannon. Best we keep ours to avoid those Mavericks in the north from getting one, or worse, the Kings.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

1st....people need to get over their irrational hatred of McHale.

2nd...if Morey wants to force McHale's hand, he can just cut Ish.

7. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

true, i think he would belong best on a team whos trying to build. and not a team that wants to win it all right now, like we're supposed to be. it's a little unfair to him because we're holding our PGs to such high standards to meet our season expectations.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

smith has a guaranteed deal and can't be traded. if morey needs to cut him he's going to have a real good look at him in pre-season.

9. FANfrom86toNow

I understand that, but I've had a real good look at him this preseason, and he needs to be CUT.

10. FANfrom86toNow

1st......I don't hate McHale, I hate MILK HAIR's non-coaching ability

2nd....Who decides who gets cut, McHale or Morey? I thought Morey did the trades and McHale did the cuts, but I could easily be wrong as a lot of people here think Morey does everything.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am hoping that the Celtics will waive Will Bynum. DM should pick him up, and cut Ish Smith.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nick Cannon or Will Smith?

13. ratsass

ratsass New Member

naaaa

Cannan might b ok4 inda future but we need exp now not confortable with J.Tdurability

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Morey and the front office make all roster decisions, including cuts, trades, signings, etc. They even decide who McHale's assistant coaches are.

Too many people have a rediculous perspective of McHale. It's not his fault that we don't have depth at point guard or a starting quality PF, yet he continues to get the blame for it. His in-game coaching is average, and his player development has been pretty good. Beverley, Parsons, and Daniels were all given opportunities under him and flourished. He's giving significant minutes to Black, an undrafted undersized center, over veterans like DMo, Dorsey, and Adrien.

"Milk Hair" is one of the best players of all-time. He knows how to play the game, and was selected by one of the best GMs in sports to be the coach of this team. My guess is everyone wants to take the easy route and blame the coach for everything, rather than except that the issues are more complex than just coaching.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For someone who is supposed to be a great shooter, Canaan sure does clank a lot of shots.

I'm not a big fan is Ish's game but I have no confidence in Canaan. He's at least a year away from not being a total drain on the team when he's out there.

17. Beebo1911

Beebo1911 Member

Give me cannan he's still getting better kinda reminds me of lowery when we first got him from memphis raw but with a motor. But I would still keep ish as a 3rd pg at the end of the bench

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

For the most part, Canaan has played well in the limited minutes given to him this preseason.

44% FG
    36% 3-FG
    27 FT attempts
    11 assists
    5 turnovers

We just need to be patient. He's a scorer at heart and isn't inept at passing....a good fit next to Harden and Howard if he develops.

I would suggest comparing Daniels and Canaan in similar roles. Obviously Daniels is the better shooter, but Canaan isn't bad in his own right and he's a much more talented passer and penetrator. If Canaan was shooting 40% from 3, we'd regard him as the better player and I think he will be that type of shooter eventually.

Just for comparison, here's Daniels stats so far:

38% FG
    43% 3-FG
    7 FT attempts
    1 assist
    5 turnovers

At this point, Daniels is who he is......an incredible 3 point shooter with little else to his game. He has not been aggressive inside the arc, and hasn't shot well in the few midrange/layup attempts he's taken. Right now, he's strictly an off-ball shooter.

We are asking A LOT more of Canaan. He's played 50 less minutes than Daniels this preseason, but has 20 more free throw attempts and 10 more assists.

One last statistic: True Shooting Percentage. This factors in FGs, 3s, and FTs.

Canaan: 60%
    Daniels: 56%

And this is with Canaan shooting just 36% from 3 and 75% FTs. If you assume he improves at both (no reason to think he won't), even if he turns the ball over more and doesn't finish at the rim at the same level, he will still be a very good player statistically.

Be. Patient.

19. shawn786

shawn786 Member

If Smith could shoot he'd be a starter on most NBA teams.

That being said I'll have to give the nod to Cannon.

20. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

My problem with Canaan isn't that he can't pass, it's that he often doesn't know when to pass. His awareness is lacking. I think that's something he can improve upon, but it's hurting him in the short term.