1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cannon or Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cxdom, Oct 23, 2014.

Tags:
?

Cannon or Smith

1. Cannon

87.1%
  2. Smith

12.9%
  1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Canaan all day everyday. Smith is terrible

2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I have not been able to see the preseason games. How is Canaan on defense now? He didn't look good with that in limited time last year........

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Wow! That's the first time I've seen that pointed out, and I think that's HUGE if he can keep it up. I didn't think he had that in him. That's why I wanted Ramon Sessions actually, so good for the kid!

Rep'd.

4. cxdom

cxdom Rookie

lol sorry about the typo but I still think everybody gets the point. I don't get all the Canaan bashing. He is the most talented pg on our roster and he has the ability to develop into a legitimate starter. I think he just needs a chance. We need a scorer at the point because Harden will have the ball the majority of the time anyway and Harden will play around 40 minutes a night. Canaan is fearless and is not afraid to take big shots, he just has it.

5. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I prefer Canaan. He has better chemistry with guys like Troy Daniels and Dmo who I think will get a lot of the bench minutes. Ish sucks and should playing in China or Europe but it seems like they really want to give him a chance with all the minutes he's getting so far this preseason.

I wouldn't mind a bench lineup of Canaan Daniels and Terry Just bombing 3's while Black/Adrien/Dmo/maybe Dorsey focus on D and rebounding.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It will be ok once we get Rawndo

7. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

i wish he had toney douglassssss

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Excellent point, and one I hadn't considered. He's averaging about one free throw every 2.7 minutes during the preseason. Harden averaged about one every 4.2 minutes last season. Lin was every 7.8 minutes.

Sample size, scrubs......even still, Canaan obviously has a propensity to get to the line.

Also, similar to Harden, Canaan is a multi-dimensional offensive player. If his shot isn't falling, he can contribute in other ways. The Phoenix game is a good example. He was 0-4 from 3, but got to the line 8 times, dished out 3 assists and committed no turnovers.

At this point in his career, he's not a guy you ask to run your offense. I think he could become that guy if he's given minutes, but you don't demand that right now. I'd play him as a two guard next to Harden or a savvy vet like Terry.

9. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

They both wack lol

10. bmd

bmd Member

I would assume it's because Canaan plays the 4th quarter when teams are in the bonus... so any foul sends him to the line.

11. basketballholic

Good assumption but inaccurate. Canaan consistently made trips to the foul line in d-league and in college. He knows how to draw contact and get to the line.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

They both great dreams.

13. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Yesssssssssssss.

14. StrawberryJamm

Cannan, go full viper on em, put him in with Troy Daniels and launch 3s. Pap will be in too, let him create plays.

15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Cliff Paul or Steven Curry

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I doubt Ish Smith makes this team. Cannan was a draft pick...would be anti-Morey like if he was just cut.

17. apugh832

apugh832 Member

If I had to keep one, I would prefer Ish Smith. His speed and play making ability is value! He will keep guys on the floor happy bc they know they will get the ball when open instead of being look off. Smith plays within his abilities and I am cool with that, and he can guard his position.

Cannon is not a point guard. Cannon is a scoring guard with NO feel for the game and makes none around him better. The point guard position is a position of feel, which is something Cannon DOES NOT have. Yes he can make a shot, very inconsistent but he can make a shot.

Comes down to personal preference, whether you want a inconsistent shooter or a high level play maker...

Personally I would rather get rid of both and pick up Bynum once he is finally cut. Bynum has a ton of value, and he is a DOG that can pass, score, and draw fouls as well.

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Canaan is 38th in the whole league in FTA per game, even though he plays only 12 minutes. He's 10th among point guards. If it was just a matter of being in the bonus, then why isn't everyone getting to the line like he does. Someone has to play for all 30 teams in the 4th.

19. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Why would we just cut canaan..

Guaranteed contract second yr player. Relax bro

20. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Some need to google his highlights. Not at just jumpers but by any means a way to score he can do it well. He has to translate that to the NBA. Players like him are hard to find and he will not be cut. Traded maybe.