1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Lebron..The Rockets need to focus on Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeemthagreat, May 29, 2018.

1. hakeemthagreat

And Butler's from the city. This would be great

Chanmarr and Vivi like this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Someone would say he isn't from the city though :D

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, he said I'm from Tomball, not Houston. I was very surprised at his comment. Perhaps, he might change his mind.

4. hakeemthagreat

Is he a free agent?

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think he already did lol.

No, next summer he can and probably will opt out so, same situation of Leonard and George one year ago. If Minnie underperforms i can actually see him asking for a trade, if not well, a couple of more months and he can be a free agent.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Marc Stein on Le Batard:

Team with best chance for LeBron?

Lakers. Ability to create extra salary slot to give someone else to bring with him. Doesn't mean they'll get him & still too soon to know what's going through his mind but they're the best chance right now.

Paul George?

The report is the Thunder have a better chance to keep him than we all thought when they lost in the first round. They made a great impression. A lot around the league seem to think the Thunder's chances are rising. Not saying he's definitely staying but many around the league think the Thunder's chances have improved & are better than we perceived when they crashed out to the Utah Jazz.

Kyrie's final season as a Celtic?

Kinda leaning yes. Not just because Kyrie has a wandering eye but Danny Ainge...if he senses any wavering on Kyrie's part, he'll do something. I think I'm on yes.

Kawhi a Spur next season?

No.

Expand?

I'm in the camp that says they won't be able to glue it back together and his exit via trade if not imminently soon is somewhere in the near future. I think they will trade him somewhere in the near future. That's a prediction.

Kawhi & LeBron on the same team next season?

There's a chance. Can't pretend I know that now. Is Kawhi on the list of guys LeBron will be checking with in this 3-week period? I believe so.

Durant's last season as a Warrior?

No I don't. I think he'll stay.

Where is LeBron going?

Miami. (Pretty sure he was joking.)

Sam Amick on Dan Patrick:

[...]

How does it not happen that he(LeBron) goes to the Lakers?

He doesn't get help. That's what so interesting about these next couple of weeks. You have the two parts of this question of where he's gonna go: market/organization and then help. If this was a power rankings on market/organization, it's the Lakers by a long shot. That's where all the buzz is, where it seems he has a strong interest in landing there but I guarantee he's not gonna land there if he doesn't have a roster that he looks at & says the Warriors will sweep me again. This is where the other names come into play: What's Paul George & Chris Paul doing? Guys of that nature. He needs help. I don't know what that looks like yet.

Paul George has to end up there I would think. What happens first: does Paul George wait on LeBron? Is LeBron waiting on Paul George? Is Chris Paul waiting on a 5-year deal from Houston & if not, more likely relocates back to LA? How do the dominoes fall?

For the last one, you're hitting the nail on the head. If he isn't getting 5 from Houston, he probably won't be a happy camper. By all accounts, the Clippers didn't put 5 on the table a year ago which prompted the move to Houston. That's where it gets tricky. If LeBron is gonna wind up in Houston with Chris, it'll probably take some sort of pay cut on Chris' behalf which people don't know how to reconcile that with the whole back story. He didn't go there for a pay cut. Maybe it changes when it's your best friend. We'll see. The other dominoes, again it's lying season, the latest smoke on Paul George is there's a very reasonable chance he winds up going back to OKC. I feel like his people, him, they're good enough at their jobs that they got to already have a decent sense of what LeBron is thinking. If this is where Paul's head & heart is and ends up going back to OKC, then the dominoes start with him & LeBron responds to that. I guess the outlier would be LeBron has some incredible scenario up his sleeve he can't pitch until late June and that changes the way they look at things but a whole lot of moving parts.

Possible he stays one more year in Cleveland/Lakers are not what I want now?

I can see that from a pragmatic standpoint. That'd be the cautious play. You just saw in the Finals what you can accomplish with this group. Who knows if they can move #8 for someone, some rumblings about McCollum, someone like that to come help LeBron. We all know you don't love the owner but it's the devil you know being better than the one you don't. If you don't have clarity on these other situations, you can wait a year. The part of me that pushes back against that is the mood at the moment, covering the Finals, that organization. It feels like it's over. Maybe I'm wrong. In the Finals, even leaning on other media members around that team every day, I couldn't run into anyone who felt like he was coming back.

Golden State's roster next year?

Interesting. It's all around the edges but the edges are really important. If you go back before Durant, one thing we forget is from 1-15 they had that roster on lock down. The 2nd unit was incredible defensively, every guy fit perfectly. When you have a chance for Kevin, you do it. You elevated the core to an unprecedented level but have lost grip a little bit on the "others", as Shaq likes to call them. The Youngs, McGees, all the way down the line, next year with that MLE I think the focus will be on guys who play both ends of the floor & bring it more consistently. I don't think they'll be as loose with their role player acquisitions.

Vivi, DonKnock and pippendagimp like this.
  7. jcage

jcage Member

Because people think PG13 wants to win a championship. The Rockets are the best bet to do that, unless he goes to Golden State.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

When did PG say he wanted to win a championship?

9. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

These writers have no clue how the salary cap works...specifically Houston's. Chris Paul's salary has zero bearing whatsoever on LeBron coming here.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Most NBA stars are driven by the opportunity to win a ring, especially if they haven't won any. Here's PG in his own words from 12 months ago:

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ge-extension-want-play-winning-team/98051748/

DonKnock likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

13. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Paul George is a injury risk to me. More of a when not if he will get injured again. I understand cp3 has had his share as well but I wasn't as worried about it. I'm still surprised how his season ended. Seems rigged lol. Maybe LeBron told cp3 to let the Warriors win that way he can come this off season. If we would of won than it would been just like KD situation. LeBron wouldn't go to the rockets if we just eliminated him in the finals. He would of never escaped that. Just like KD will never hear the end of it except way worse for LeBron.

14. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

He has to take a 10 million dollar pay cut with opt in to come to houston.

Not going to happen

15. The Cat

That's pretty obviously not what he meant. George said it while on an Indiana team that hadn't missed the playoffs in any of his 6 real seasons with the team, with the obvious implication that just making the playoffs as a lower seed wasn't enough.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe that Paul George wants to be on a contender.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Dude, George broke his leg three years ago and that's about it, Chris missed like 20/30 games per season (and i'm not considering the playoffs) in four of his last seven seasons, just saying...and he's 33, George is 28.

17. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Ughh we only played that due to injuries. We played 9-10 deep all year. Harden and ariza played their least amount theyve played in their career here. Green, moute, gordon were all major contributors all year. Nene doesnt mstchup vs warriors but fine vs most teams.

We played
    Paul. (Got hurt)
    Harden
    Ariza
    Anderson( got hurt)
    Capela
    Tucker
    Gordon
    Green
    Moute (got hurt)
    Nene
    Even black some.

We ran a 9-10 man rotation. 11 if you count black. Think before you type. In the playoffs every team shrinks to 7-8 man. We lost our 7th and 8th man

#197 Gorilladunks, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is the summer of pipe dreams

Spurs gonna trade Kawhi to 1 of their rivals for scraps?

19. steddinotayto

I don't dispute that George wants to be on a contending team. I'm just in the group that his priority is to be in LA first and then contend.

20. The Cat

I might be wrong, but I'm in the "fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice..." mindset when it comes to marquee FAs and the Lakers. This has been going on for 5+ years now. Maybe this year is different, we'll see, but I'm not willing to assume he's as dead-set on LA as most think based on anonymous media sourcing... because said sourcing has been wrong plenty of times before. We'll see.

DonKnock likes this.