1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can you be a true Rockets fan and also root for the Spurs as your 2nd favorite team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tanviraman, May 16, 2008.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

No, you can't ever root for a team that is your divisional rival even as a 2nd favorite team. To me, if you a Rockets fan, you can have as your 2nd favorite team, a team like Cleveland or Washington or anyone else in the Eastern Conference but really not any team from the West (although I do like Phoenix) but definitely not from your own division.

2. pz350z

pz350z Member

while i don't hate the spurs as much as i do the jazz or hornets.... :eek:
    I just can't ever see myself rooting for any other team than the rockets when they go to war in the playoffs.
    Rockets or bust!

3. tanviraman

tanviraman Contributing Member

I'm just wondering if all the Rockets/Spurs fans are going to lose sleep over their teams elimination from contention. I definetely lost sleep over the Rockets losing, so I'm assuming the Rockets fans that consider the Spurs their second team may too. I personaly am ecstatic that I don't have to watch the Spurs in another boring low rated finals.

Thank the basketball gods!!

4. sparky

sparky Member

My hatred for the Lakers much outweighs my hatred for the Spurs. I have always respected the Spurs and I downgraded my hate to dislike after giving us Scola. However, that status can be upgraded to hate at anytime if we are completing for a playoff spot or their is a chance that we will meet them in the playoffs.

5. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

As a Rockets fan, I did support the Spurs as my second favorite team until I moved to San Antonio eight years ago. Now I have a hard time cheering for them no matter who they play. Even to the point where when they play the Jazz in the playoffs I just hope the Jazz win and get blown out in the next round. I HATE the Spurs fans and the San Antonio media more than I hate the Jazz fans.

First of all, living here, you never hear mention of the Rockets or even Mavericks for that matter. They sometimes won't even publish the score to the Rockets' games in the newspaper. Certainly won't even flash the score on the nightly newscast. I remember growing up the Chronicle and the Post would at least acknowledge that the Mavericks and Spurs existed. Also, living here, the Spurs fans are May-June fans only. They wear their jerseys, put up Go-Spurs-Go banners all over town, etc. But before the playoffs they can't even tell you who the starting 5 is. My co-workers sometimes ask me "Hey did the Spurs play last night? Do you know if they won?" I'm thinking to myself, as a Rockets fan I KNOW every time my team is on the court and plan my day/life accordingly.

I guess for me its not so much as routing against the Spurs, because I have met a few of them and they are really good guys. Even Bruce Bowen is decent off the court although I think his game is dirty and unsportsman like. I think I more root against the fans and the city. I live for days like today when no one will even mention the Spurs. Its like they never existed. Everyone is getting ready for the "Cowboys" now. That's another thing. You have a 50/50 chance of seeing the Texans on TV here and if Dallas is in the same time slot you can hang it up.Even though Houston is about 150 miles closer than Dallas, I can't buy a Texans T-Shirt or Jersey anywhere in this town. That just further pisses me off.

When I come home to visit I have to stock up on Rockets and Texans gear just so I can represent out here. Its like its illegal to sell in the local stores. If the roles were reversed, I PROMISE you the Spurs fans and the San Antonio media would not gve two flips about the Rockets. Wouldn't even make the 10 o'clock news.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the definition of a "True" Fan is whatever each individual makes of it.

I would not root for the Spurs, but if a buddy of mine did, that doesn't make him less of a Rockets fan to me.

It is all about personal choice...

DD

7. cptcrunch

cptcrunch Member

San Antonio is hard not to like. They play hard as a team and with dignity. I like all the Texas teams except for Dallas. I hate every California and New York team.

Yep I'm a Houston 1st and San Antonio 2nd fan.

If it matters my 3rd favorite team is the Pistons and my 4th favorite team is whoever plays the Fakers.

8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

the only team i hate more than the spurms are the j*zz.

9. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Dude, that sounds just like the Jazz, I don't think the Spurs are near as bad. I had family groing up that lived in SA. They of course rooted for the Spurs while we rooted for the Rox. I have come to respect their organization and my only real hate that I have ever had for teams was early to mid 90's Jazz, Bulls, Sonics and Nuggets.

I have always thought that the Jazz were dirty and that Malone, Stockton and Homocek were a big gay threesome. Now it's Boozer, Williams and Kirilenko with the gay antics. The Sonics aren't so bad now, until they put some pieces around KD, not to mention they're moving to Oklahoma, and all us longhorn fans know who we hate from OK. (on a side note it's funny I was talking to an Aggies fan and they were talking about our rivalry, and I just laughed and said, "our real rivalry is across the river.")

For the most part throughout my life I have been a Houston first and then Texas fan. I rep the Lone Star state. I've seen a lot of the world for the past 9 years and I have to say, there are some great places to visit, but Texas is the only place to live. We're the only state I know where a lot of people are unhappy there and the grass is greener and whatnot, but you really get a sense of pride in Texas when you live outside of it for a few years. Other folk just don't do it the same.

So in conclusion, yes, I think it's perfectly fine to root for your teams from Texas as long as it's not the Aggies...lol. Sports is a great source of entertainment and we don't need to go turning in to soccer hooligans or anything. Those folks really need to find something more constructive to do with their lives.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It really depends...

I think you're not a "true" fan if you're just rooting for a team because you're team isn't playing or becuase a certain team is winning alot now.

If you're a "true" fan of any team you root for them through the good and the bad.

11. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

HEY WHAT HAPPENNED TO MY BROWSER!!! LOL

12. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

lol..Well your job is a lot easier, my wife is from New England. Try dealing with these inlaws and their crazy sports fanhood.

13. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Man, even worse was the all of a sudden life long Giants fans I had to deal with after they won the SB. Some of these kids in the military these days, no loyalty anymore. In fact that's probably what's wrong with sports, marriage, and having good friends anymore. It ain't like it used to be.

14. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

no. same state, same division. The same division kills it. They are rivals and nothing else. I don't like the concept of second favorites but I would say if a Rocket fan has one it should be an Eastern Conference team.

15. ibm

ibm Member

bad analogy maybe, but i was once engaged in a long debate about vegetarians. i don't mind people being vegetarians at all. but if those same people point their fingers at me and say how cruel i am in eating meat, i'd have a big problem with that. :cool:

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Hate the Spurs and Hate the Mavs. The rockets are the only team for me. If I had to chose a distant second it would be either the Lakers celtics or hornets this year. It changes for me all the time. But when it comes down to the spurs....jazz ... and mavs.... I hate them with a passion

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

How bout the Wiz and the *awks?

18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I don't buy the argument that if the spurs are from texas, then root for them.

F#*( THAT!

The fact that they have more titles than the Rockets is what haunts me. The Rockets set the tipping point for NBA supremacy in Texas and now the f'n spurs have taken the glory. True Rocket fans understand this.

I hate the Spurs but I respect Tim Duncan. Other than that, I really have nothing to say about SA.

PS - looking forward to hopefully a good Lakers vs Celtics series!

19. laowan

laowan Member

Not from the Sates.Spurs is my fav team.But i surport Rox because of Yao.

20. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Watched Timmy take a two step sideways shuffle toward the post while holding the ball, then dribble and shoot. He knew he was doing it. No call btw. Traveling! They are all cheaters.

Happy both the Spurs and Jazz are eliminated. Can't stand either. I will root for the Lakers as much as they are a WC Champs and rep for our conference - and was happy they slapped the Spurs down. Enjoy Kobe's game but it is all a very limited enthusiasm - professional respect.

I am originally from Cleveland and I wish the Cavs well in the back of my mind, but really do not root for them at all.

Go Rockets! I keep it simple. :D