1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can you be a true Rockets fan and also root for the Spurs as your 2nd favorite team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tanviraman, May 16, 2008.

1. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

NOT jelafied man.. NOT jelafied.. :D

2. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

My girlfriend is a Mavs fan. But she's dead now.

3. chinayao&yi1860

yes,i think so,i love yao ,t-mac,all the palyer in rockets :D

4. chinayao&yi1860

what'a pity :(

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

CERTAINLY NOT! A FAN IS A FAN not a HALF FAN, NO SECOND TEAMS, ESPECIALLY IN TEXAS :p :p

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

By that I mean I've smothered her Maverick soul (with Cuban's help) and hope to turn her to the Rockets side of the force by next season. One of my friends did the same thing with his wife. It can be done. The heathens must be converted, even if by the blade of the love-sword.

"Honey, I'm just saying I'd love you more if you were a Rockets fan."

What could be simpler?

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I really have a hard time rooting for any team besides the rockets.

But I do root against the spurs.

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Hell no.

Rooting for the Spurs when you are a Rockets fan is a freakin' travesty.

I mean, not as bad as rooting for, say, the Jazz, but still...

9. RedGlare07

RedGlare07 Member

You mean, is it okay to be a bandwagoner and all?

Apparently so. People do it all the time. It's amazing how many Steelers fans suddenly showed back up when they finally made it back to the SB a couple of years ago.

Bangwagon fans come very close to impressing me some of the time.

10. ibm

ibm Member

i just want to make this clear - we're not talking about rooting for the spurs or any other nba team on a regular basis. i think we're talking about after the rockets have lost in the playoffs (or sometimes not in the playoffs), is it ok to root for any other team; be it spurs, lakers or whatnot.

any sports fan with at least a bit sanity would say yes.

11. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

whoever created this thread ate a little too much

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/alex1018/*****_please.jpg

12. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Absolutely not

13. tanviraman

tanviraman Contributing Member

This has nothing to do with sanity. There are plenty of yankees, red sox, cubs, cardinals, dodgers, redskins, niners, cowboys, lakers, celtics, pistons, spurs, bulls, man. u, just about any prestigous soccer club fan, and many Rockets fans that would disagree with you.

Your logic does not make sense, because I would think even you would feel a Rockets fan rooting for the Jazz last night(thank god they're done) or a Rockets fan rooting for the Mavs in the 06 finals would be flaky.

The only reason that some people on this board support the Spurs is because they're too young to dislike the Spurs, or they don't consider them a huge rival. Because they didn't feel a division rivalry that I felt in the 90's that was competitive or one that was mentioned earlier in the thread from the 1981 playoffs.

If we lost to the Spurs in a close series in the first round this year and they were flopping and crying like they always do. The dislike in the younger generation of fans would be present. But I just don't understand how you could ever root for any division rival unless you just hated the team they were playing more. And thats not really rooting for a team, thats rooting against another team.

#53 tanviraman, May 17, 2008
    Last edited: May 17, 2008
  14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

not imo, it waters down your rox fanhood to root for the spurs as your "second" team.

however, if that's what rox fans want to do, I won't lose sleep over it.
    wgas

15. monster

monster Member

If the Rockets are still in the race, then I hate all other teams. Once the Rockets season ends, I pull for the Spurs. I'd rather a Texas team win it all, as long as it's not the Mavs :)

However, it is not acceptable under ANY circumstances to pull for the Dallas Cowboys.

16. monster

monster Member

also, when I think of the Spurs, I still think first of David Robinson and Tim Duncan....both classy players.

17. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I can honestly say that the Rockets are the only team I'm a fan of. But I'm a fan of players that are not on the Rockets and I may sometimes root for them. And, of course, I root for every team that plays against the Mavericks.

So I do occasionally root for Cavs (LeBron), GS (Biedrins), Portland (Roy; Outlaw), Sacramento (Artest) and yes, even the Jazz (Deron) but it has nothing to do with the respective teams. The moment Artest leaves the Kings, I don't care about Sacramento anymore. The moment Deron leaves Utah, I probably start to hate them and so on.

18. Gwill88

Gwill88 Member

It is NOT okay to root for a team other than the Rockets if you are a true Rockets fan. However, you MAY root for a Euro (etc), NBDL, or WNBA team. You'll find this information in the Rockets Fan Rule Book code 23, section 15, line 9. :eek:

19. sook

sook Rookie

Yea you can root for them? Texas teams have been to the finals from the west more times than any other team in the last decade. Any team from the SW division except the Mavs i can deal with

20. Seth

Seth Member

(I have to first say that i am from Argentina and a long NBA fan but Rockets fan since they got Scola)

When i think of the Spurs i think Old School, and in this new NBA full of greed and cocky players you gotta love a bunch of old schoolers kicking the new guys arses.

Those who think the Spurs are dirty must have watched very little of the Hakeem Rockets, over those years a no call is what these days gets you a flagrant, the NBA is becoming a girls league in that regard, when the refs let the Spurs play this way, the surely will.

About the fact of being floppers i think the league is full of it and is another thing that can be changed by allowing hard play, flopper will never ever get the call because they get the benefit of small contact that even if exaggerated won´t be called.

And about the being Stern´s, what can i say, Stern himself said his dream matchup is Lakers vs. Lakers why would the Spurs be getting benefits by the refs being a small market and i think the less marketable team for the casual fan, Real Basketball fans might be attracted to the way they play because they are all players that know the game very well.

Overall i think it has to be a matter reduced to hate, i won´t say anything to someone who hastes the Spurs because of the rivalry but to hate them for the other things is just the crap that these days NBA has put into your minds by selling you cocky dunkers over real team basketball.

My 2 cents on the matter