1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Yao Ming Rebound?Block Shots??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VinceCarter, Nov 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

These are the TWO MAIN things everyone expects from him early on.

I HAVE ONLY WATCHED ONE ROCKETS GAME..

So i am not sure if the Boxscore is telling the whole truth.

Can someone explain why he can't do these simple things at his height?

Yes he got 20 points on 9-9 shooting....that's all good.... though what the rockets really need is a Shot Blocker(to keep teams afraid of coming down low) and rebounder. We have enpough people to take shots.

And ya TRADE CUTTINOcancer---he is a disease on the team. He's a good player though does not use something called a Brain. simple dribbledribbledribble.

:rolleyes:

2. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

He is worried that he will get a foul. He can rebound, just wait tell he gets more comfortable on the court. He never realy was a shot blocker though.

3. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

He cant rebound or block shots? I dont know what game or boxscores you have been looking at. 6 boards in 23 minutes is not bad. And you didn't see Yao swat Stoudamires mess away the other night? He had a double double with 5 blocks against the Dream Team in the WC.

I think you are a cancer to this board TROLL!

4. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Ummm...Yao didn't even play half the freaking the game. The guy had only 23 min! and grabbed 6 rebounds. So what if he didn't get any blocks, he just played 23 min! I am sure if Yao would've started and actually played the mins he should be playing, he'd average atleast 2 blocks and thats being conservative.

5. heech

heech Contributing Member

Yao is also getting much better at boxing out. It's clear he understands that's his job (while covering the tallest player on the opposing team) at this stage... keep *him* away from the ball, and let the rest of your team snatch up the rebounds.

I think he'll get more aggressive actually going for the ball once he has a feel for what the guy he's defending is capable of.

6. TechLabor

TechLabor Contributing Member

After Yao gets comfortable with the defense schemes, he will be able to block a lot shots. This day will come very soon.

His rebounding will strugle for a long time due to his lack of vertical leap and upper body strength.

7. BigBnLC

BigBnLC Member

if you ask me 6 rebounds in 22 minutes is pretty good just think of what he could do with even 10 more minutes

8. spence99

spence99 Member

In my opinion, he can rebound and block. I think his problem on the defensive end is jumping out to guard people on the outside too often. I think as soon as he learns to stay camped out down low on defense, his rebounds and blocks will improve.

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

He can block and rebound. He had a couple in Phoenix and other games.

Oh by the way this team isn't doing too bad on shots being blocked with Griff and Cato before he left.

10. cujo

cujo Member

People that are naysayers about Yao, will always find something negative to say. The guy just scored 20 9/9 shots 6 rebounds in 23 minutes. His rebounding has improved and with time, you will see the blocks.

#10 cujo, Nov 18, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2002
  11. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Vince Carter!?! What kind of a r****ded moniker is that? From 99? This is a puppet, this has to be a puppet.

If this is really a real person who really comes to a rocket's fan site and says I have only see one game - then I will answer you question. Yes, Yao can Rebound and Block Shots. He led the worlds in blocks at almost five a game and was second in rebounding. Bear in mind that he only averages about 14 minutes a game so far. His rebounds and blocks per minute are among the highest in the league.

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Yao will grap more rebounds and block more shots when he starts staying home inside on the defense of end. Right now hes getting caught on the perimeter on picks, which is too far from the basket to snab rebounds. Once he learns to stay inside, watch out!

13. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I agree with Rocketeer and others that mentioned the fact that Yao is stuck away from the basket on picks. Several times, he'll set a pick, and before he get back to the basket, a shot is up, and a rebound is out of reach.
    As far as blocks, as mentioned before, he comes away from the basket a LOT to help out-away from his man. Due to this, there have been several times when the ball will get passed under the basket, and an easy layin is the result-with Yao out of position to block-or even deter the shot. I've seen very few times when someone challenges him straight up, they always come in the back door-very understandable.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Yao has 3 blocks in 8 games, and only one of them was legit. One was a guy taking a desperation shot at the end of a quarter, and one was on Sabonis when he threw up a shot as he was falling on his ass. Guys have challenged Yao, and pretty much had no problem.

An interesting stat. Blocks/48 min
    1. Yao Ming 1.18
    2. Steve Francis 1.19
      [/list=1]

Yao is not playing well on defense. I know that's no indictment on this team, but it's a fact.

15. MASTERASIA

MASTERASIA Member

This is just silly!!! Look at the games during the World International Basketball Championship!! Remember the eight blocks against the US team? After they learn about his blocking ability they tended to stay away from him. That could be the reason Yao isn't getting higher percentage to blocks cause could it be that people know not to penetrate him because they know that he will block them?

Another thing is that his low(which i don't consider that it is per min) rebounds is that it pretty much Houston got themselves a pretty well rounded rebounding team and totally doesn't depend on one particular rebounder.

16. Jeffshi

Jeffshi Member

1. Stats don't always make sense, when Yao 7'6 is on court, Lakers have to jump more shot outside, that's his value on D.

17. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

It lookes like everyone likes to think i'm NEGATIVE about Yao. Man i told you i don't even live in the country so watching one game up North is Good enough. I look at Clutch's Game reports and the boxscores.

I never said one negative thing about yao...just a question!!?!!?!!?....and half you people act like as if dissed a GREAT Legend of the rockets. He has only played so many games so chill about HOW GREAT HIS GREATNESS IS. :D

And where are all you BOKI fans....some of you were calling him the better player fo the two rookies.....:p .......how quickly the tide changes.

Franchise2001--------your old news bro.....just look at your nick.

LeGrouper-------haha Vinc Carter is a puppet......if only he was a Rocket.....only then would he be the "greatest thing in the NBA":D .

Some of you don't use a brain when you write.....just like our BALLHOG...Cutinno "Dribbledribbledribble" Mobley.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I've been a little disappointed with Ming's shot blocking. I thought he would be able to come right in and block everyone's shots being 7'5. If he will learn how to just hold his arms up in the air he will change so many shots and thats almost as good as a block. I don't know if Ming will ever become a dominate shot blocker but he still can be a presence down low.

As far as rebounds go the man had 6 in 23 minutes. He's rebounding just fine and will get better as he gets stronger.

19. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Let's look at why we would need a shot blocker. Really 3 blocks a game doesn't really effect of the game that much only on those three blocks, the main job of the shot blocker is to be an intimidater, scare ppl, change shots, change offensive schemes. Yao does that, ppl always says this or that guy took it to Yao, when most of the time Yao wasn't even close enough to make a good play or he's in foul trouble. What I do know is that most of the time ppl shy away from the inside and shoot more jumpers while Yao's on the floor, to me that's mission accomplished.

20. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Alright, you have to be a puppet considering you are writing like you don't even have the intelligence to turn on a computer.

But just in case I am going to try to help you out. A puppet is a Username created by someone who already has a username in order to either support his views or just to post ridiculous posts like yours so that he can laugh at everybody responding to them like me.