1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Yao get to 20-10?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Icehouse, Mar 10, 2009.

Tags:
?

Can yao get to 20-10?

1. Yes

216 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. No

118 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. redcapital

redcapital Contributing Member

b/w the two, i'm more concerned about his scoring ability. coz when his having hot hands, the inside out game makes the opponent really struggle on defense, that's how we win games. :)

2. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

I think it cant be both. And he probably will have 20 pts per game. With Scola in, he doesnot have to work that hard like before to grab rebounds.

3. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

He will get to 20 points, that's easy for him.
    But I don't think he will get to 10 rpg.
    He is not forcing anything and he is saving himself for the playoofs with the blessing of the coach.
    He got plenty of help this year, no need to go all out for meaningless regular season achievements.

4. ty185

ty185 Member

well... apparently he is aggressive enough to get 9.7 rpg, but not aggressive enough to get 10? talking about arbitrary cut-off points. :)

I personally don't really care about whether he achieves 20-10 or not. He has proven that he could average well over that line for a season in the previous seasons, his ability would not need to be justified by an (again) arbitrary statistical line anymore. :)

5. rocketgenius

rocketgenius Member

easily
    he's a 23-10 player
    but likely won't happen, this team shares the ball more often than before
    yao needs to be a better passer and rebounder
    he's stepped up blocking shots thou, so that's a good sign

6. allforone

allforone Member

does it really matter?
    stat-wise, i'd be glad to see his 20-10. but as long as we roll, his 16-8 wont seem to be too bad.

7. joesr

joesr Member

points should be easy but rebounds I say no

8. sky1

sky1 Member

I don't think Yao could get the 20-10. Definitely,he has the ability but he is a team-work super star. He is willing to sacrifice his data to help the team win more games but not care about his own data. :)

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think he can, but won't. If he gets to one magic mark over the other, it'll be ppg.

10. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I'm with you. I voted yes, because he is capable of doing it. I just don't think he will.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Yao will have a couple 15-17 rebound games to catapult him into the double digit rebound category, he will stay there and fluctuate below 10.0, but will ultimately finish the year at 9.9 rebs per game

12. Seth

Seth Member

20 games before i would say yes, now i have to say "i don´t think so" he would have to get over 12 rebs per game on consistent basis to get it done for this season, and reality is, that right now Scola is our number one rebounder on the team, last 20 games of both, Yao failed to get over 10 rebs in 10 games while scola failed to do it only 3 times.

Is actually good that Scola is outrebbounding him, so he can concentrate more on the offense where we still use him much more than Scola.

Same goes for double doubles, i wouldn´t be surprised if scola end with more DD than yao as by the end of march Scola had 14 Double-doubles while Yao had 23, and now Scola has 25 and Yao 30, meaning that in games during January, February and March, Yao had 7 double-doubles while Scola sits at 11 and is becoming a consistent double double player.

As i said, good for the team anyways.

13. eixty

eixty Member

I'm sure he could reach the 20 point mark average, but I highly doubt he'd be able to reach the rebound average.

14. Ashes

Ashes Member

The one thing I can't stand about Yao is his rebounding inconsistency.

He may average almost 10 a game, but when you watch him, he'll get like 5 Rebounds one game, then 15 the next. I'd rather have a guy that gets 10 a night, every night. Especially with his size.

15. yao123

yao123 Member

yao needa punch scola in the face and take his rebound...i know yao is nice and **** but i always see scola stole the rebound away from yao many time...time to who whos boss YAO

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I hope so but I also think anybody that follows the NBA closely should realize Yao gets doubled more than any player in the league. Not only that, but he's reaching the 20 PPG mark on only 13 shots. That's pretty remarkable when you think about it: of the 80 shots we average per game only 13 are used on average by our best player yet he still manages to reach the 20 PPG mark.

As for rebounding, as many have already mentioned due to Scola and Landry's improvements they "take away" a few boards from Yao. Not like that's a bad thing though considering Yao is still currently 7th overall in boards per game.

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I voted that he won't. Rebounding being the problem. He SHOULD be able to, but I don't think he will.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Dido, although, I think more playoff wins should be more important than personal stats.

19. OlajuwonShake34

Agreed, also because his minutes have been limited this season. In the past, it has been proven that if you give him enough minutes he can get you 10 rebounds easily. 20 points has never been hard for him to do, but 10 rebounds has.

20. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Probably not. This has something to do with the way the Rockets run its offense, but more is due to Yao himself.

If you look at Yao's game, mainly inside game, it usually takes more than half of the 24 seconds for him to establish the position & get the ball. Once he get the ball, he usually takes a couple seconds to read the defense before makes his move. If the defense send any helper over, the ball is basically out of his hands for that possession, since there won't be enough time left for him to receive the ball & start another round of offense. This doesn't mean he is doing badly, since the ball usually moves to someone who was open, but it does reduce his shots.

The only way for him to get 20-10 is to be more active and hit the offensive glass harder. If he can just add ONE more offense board per game, it will easily raise his stats to 20-10.