1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Yao Defect?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Truth, May 30, 2002.

1. Truth

Truth Member

Like many of the Latin players in Major League Baseball can Ming defect to the US? Or when he's here can he file for his citizenship?
    :confused:

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

him getting his citizenship here was an idea of mine earlier. someone replied and debunked that idea. i dont remember the reason.

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I believe Heypartner/someone else mentioned that we do not grant asylum to citizens of countries that we have diplomatic relations with. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Relativist...I believe that was the reason

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It wasn't me. I was just passing it on. ctx and ttc (i think those are their monikers) and several other Chinese Americans are saying he can apply for citizenship. Defection is not the right word, and rumor has it that Yao stopped talking to Falk last year when Falk suggested "defection."

Further, ctx and ttc say that several athletes (soccer, woman's bball, etc) have refused to come back to play for the National Team with no repurcussions except for permanent ban from playing for the National Team, and ostracism by their fan base. Yao wants to play for his National Team, wouldn't you want to play with your national team. This is apparently blown out of proportion as the National Team doesn't play much more than our national teams.

People keep telling us that all we need to do is work out a fair compensation package for the Sharks. The rest is not really something to fear.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

heypee, didnt you also say recently that the Nuba rules would keep teams from giving the Sharks what they want as far as financial compensation? I ve read sooo many Ming related posts over the last week so if it wasn't you , maybe you remember what I mean?

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Ming doesn't want to defect. He's incredibly proud of his country. He wants to be the first Chinese citizen to succeed in the NBA.

8. TexasG

TexasG Member

That's the exact same reason Wang won't defect. The Chinese people are very loyal to their country regarless of how American's feel about China. Yao, and Wang will never defect.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's right. All indications are that they will demand compensation above the $350K that an NBA franchise is limited, too. Pau Gasol paid out of pocket for his release. I'm not sure if someone is allowed to give Ming a loan or something. The NBA Office could compensate another league with ownership committee approval. I'm not sure if Houston businesses or the city could do something with Oriental TV (the owners of the Sharks), but it seems so perfect for the league to do it.

in short, what I was speculating on is that:

franchise to franchise compensation will not happen

player to franchise compensation does happen, but probably won't be enough...although that could reach phenomenal levels if Ming lands some endorsement deals.

league to league compensation or business to business is a possibility.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its not like he's oppressed in China. He doesn't have to defect. He can apply for citizenship. My girlfried has dual citizenship (U.S. and India) so its not that uncommon. Defectionhas more to do with political asylum like Cuba where the trade embargo and a lot of their human rights aren't up to standard. Thats not to say human rights haven't been violated in China, its just if someone wants to leave China, i think,not really sure, they can leave. Defection is the wrong word. I think after the first couple of yrs and maybe the olympics, that him missing training will not happen as much. Once he gets here, it willbe upto him whether he wants to continue to give up his money or go back to compete.

11. TexasG

TexasG Member

I think people are suggesting he defect so that he no longer will have to do what the Chinese Gov. tells him to do.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Ming were ever to apply for dual citizenship,the Chinese would consider it to be a defection and might try to force him to make a choice to live in the US or China.

13. tty

tty Member

Hi, it seems you guys are not familiar with US immigration policy. It is not necessary for Ming to apply for US citizenship. He can appy for Long Time Residentship. So he can keep the Chinese citizenship and at the same time live in US. A lot Chinese celebrities, incuding some athletes, live in US with this status. Actually, he can apply for this from US embassy in China.

Defection = political asylum. That means he will lose Chinese citizenship and it's not guaranty he will get US citizenship. Even he get it, it's very possible he will lose the chance to go back China for ever. I think that's not what he want.

BTW, US does not acknowledges double citizenships. neither China.

14. D-Up

D-Up Member

Dual citizenship is recognized in the U.S. and most countries, but with restrictions.

For example, you have to be under a set age. Under U.S. law, a "child" has to chose his citizenship before the age of 18.