1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can yao be voted into the starting 5 of all star team next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eattoomuch, Aug 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. eattoomuch

eattoomuch Member

if yao did better in first half of the season, say put up 14-16p 10-12reb, 5blocks.
    and if all these chinese fans united behind and him and just vote him into the starting five, can nba stop that? i mean if all these chinese fans put their votes together, no way usa fans can match that.
    that is pretty lame so...

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

ROFLMAO!! I can see it now.

Ming - 2 billion votes
    Shaq - 1.5 million votes

Ming in a landslide!

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't know about starting, but Yao could definitly make it. Only way I see him starting is if Shaq's surgery takes him out the whole first half, which it isn't supposed to do. Not everyone in China is a bb fan, and not every fan has computer access.

But it could still happend....right? :confused: ;)

4. aznlincolnpark

i feel you man :D

5. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

I think that Shaq would be a shoe in but depending on his injury status and Yao's performance, Yao could make a push. I wouldn't count on it though.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I take it that you are converted also? Good for you, enjoy the bandwagon :)

7. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

No, I am by no means on the bandwagon. However, I think that Yao will command a huge amount of attention that will only be escalated if he performs well. If Shaq happens to miss a good portion of the first half of the season, Yao could create enough interest to get voted in.

8. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Not converted?

BULLSH1T!!!

"If he performs well"?? Sounds like a concession to me (weak as it is). Before, it was a sure thing that he would suck and now he gets an "if"?

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I thaught the All Star Starters were voted in by the Fans!

10. because24

because24 Member

Yao might be second or third in the vote getting if he play well, he most likely won't beat Shaq in vote getting. He might be voted in by the coaches though coming off the bench.:cool:

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Why not? :confused: Yao is a Houston Rocket, he plays the one position that is hardest to fill and he has proven that he can perform at a high level against the NBA's elite.

So what is your problem with Yao?

12. coolpet

coolpet Member

if he is in East, yes he will. in west, NO..by the way, are there any rookie made to all star game?

13. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Talk about suffing the ballot box!!!! :D

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Yao only has a chance at starting if Shaq misses the entirety of the season with an injury, and Duncan isn't considered a center on the ballot(which should be).

However, due to the weakness of the center position, Yao has a fantastic chance to be an All-Star - especially if the Rockets win a number of games.

15. timvp

timvp Member

guess how many chinese fans have computer and internet accesses in China?
    tell u guys a funny story. two years ago, a chinese soccer player was picked up by a famous Germany Football Pro Club.
    That chinese wasn't very popular at that time even, but guess what? in about half hour after the club announced the news, more than half million people tried to click the club official web, although 99.999% of them don't know German at all.
    the result is, the web site crashed right away because it didn't have enough server to handle the browsing.

ya, BB fans are not as many as soccer's in china. but i am sure they are way more than lakers fans, even 100 times more. so Rockets may have 100 times fans than Lakers or any other teams in the new season.
    ps: i know many Japanese and Korean people have become rockets fans as well due to yao.

16. lovethisgametoo

welcome aboard, timvp. You finally registered!

17. timvp

timvp Member

thanx
    Rockets brought out The Dream to NBA fans. Hopefully, Yao can be another great player from this team.

18. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Yes I thought that the All-Star Starters were selected by most votes by fans via internet or going to Sears.

19. mfclark

mfclark Member

Yao has a chance at making the all-star team, especially if the NBA expands voting to China much like MLB did in Japan. However, it's probably unlikely that he'll be more than the starting center for the rookie team.

Even if he continues to show the skills that he showed the other night, he still won't get voted in ahead of Shaq, injury to Shaq or not. The West doesn't always take a 2nd center, either, and all it takes is a fast start by Divac or Robinson for the coaches to look towards that, even if Ming does start off well.

It would be a major accomplishment for Yao to be the rookie of the year next year. There will be many all-star games to come in the future, likely starting with the 2003-2004 edition.

20. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Are you trying to say that the NBA may *gasp* snub a Rocket? NO! NEVER!:)

I didn't think about that. I figured Ming would be better than those two, but I forgot about the 2 center thing. But they may do it to make a little extra dough from China.