1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Yao be the Herschel Walker for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Charvo, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Charvo

Charvo Member

For folks who do not know about this trade the Dallas Cowboys made a long time ago, read this article.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/football/cowboys/classic/1013classiccowboys.htm

Yao is really the only player on the Rockets who can really get a really good trade package from another team that consists of draft picks. For the Yao-only fans, this will free Yao from this horrid offense and Van Gundy. I suggest Golden State since I think they really want Yao for the economic benefits. I'm a Rockets fan, and I think there is no way this roster has the capabilities of beating a big 5 team in the Western Conference. They need to get some decent draft picks and get some good players via this route rather than the free agent route which is not possible since the Rockets are capped out. I think Yao will be happier not playing for the Rockets. Golden State will be happy since they will get to actually market to the huge Asian population in San Francisco. Mike Dunleavy will be sad to go to the Rockets and play in Van Gundy's offense. Les Alexander may be sad too since he won't be getting any of the Yao revenue anymore. Rockets will be sad at first to let go of Yao, but the long-term should be good as long as they make good selections with those draft picks.

2. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

I think any trade involving Yao would be good. Yao will be able to do his thing with another team and the trade will solidify the Rocket's lottery status for the next 10 years, or however long Francis plays here.

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Terrible! Terrible! I guess this way Steve could go back to being the primary scorer like you have been saying.

Draft choices??? Not All-Stars but Dunleavy and draft choices. Are you sure you are a Rockets fan. ?

4. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

This is a poor year to have good draft picks, but I assume such a trade with Golden State would work around that. I'm not really interested in trading Yao, but whatever.

5. Charvo

Charvo Member

The Rockets' deficiency are much too great to overlook. There was a post concerning the composition of the Rockets' roster compared to the Grizzlies'. Grizzlies have a much deeper roster since they have drafted well. Bryce Drew, the Turkcan guy, Eddie Griffin, and Jason Collier else are examples of why the Rockets have absolutely no bench and also bench-quality guys starting. Adrian Griffin is no great shakes, and Van Gundy said he will play an important role when he gets back. Free agents who are passed from team to team shouldn't be important players on playoff contenders.

6. New Jack

New Jack Member

If standings stay the same, the Warriors would currently hold the 14th draft pick. A mid first rounder is not my idea of a decent draft pick for Yao.

7. sup123

sup123 Member

once again why whould u trade yao and not steve. Steve been on the team the last 4 years and no playoffs. Come on people think!

8. Charvo

Charvo Member

I don't think Yao is going to be able to play his best in Houston. Is he actually happy playing for the Rockets now? It sounds like he is miserable. Even Steve sounds pretty down when he talks to the media too. Has anyone tried to do something while being unhappy? Steve's game is suffering. Yao's game is suffering too. Maybe if Yao is surrounded with a lot of Chinese fans in the San Francisco area, he will get more aggressive since that is what he is comfortable with from his days in the Chinese basketball league. Steve can go back to being the man, so he can be happy again being his iso self.

I think there's something about Rudy T that was important to this team. He seemed to make the players think optimisticly. Van Gundy does not. I think this dark mood has spread through the entire Houston Rockets team and even to the fans.

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

You think Yao is unhappy because of Houston? Show me proof that the guy is unhappy! Show me one little article supporting your claim. You're pulling crap out of your back end! Don't mistake the BBS' dark mood with the organization's. He will get more aggressive if he were to move? Pure BS. Your argument has nothing to do with Yao being happy. All of your posts have the same theme. You try but you always revert back to Steve moving to the two! It's getting old.

10. Charvo

Charvo Member

I just know that there would be some mammoth trade offers if Yao were available. That's what I meant by a Herschel Walker-type trade. When the Dallas Cowboys traded him, they were at the bottom. They got basically 3 Superbowl rings from that trade.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

The big difference between football and basketball is that one player does make the difference in basketball. Numerous draft picks in football don't equate to numerous draft picks in basketball.

12. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

Rockets shoud either trade Yao, or make it absolutely Yao's team by sending SF/Cat/MT to another place.

13. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

The problem with that is we really do not know Yao yet. Yao might be a very good number 2 guy because of his attitude. A Yao led team might be too soft. But, I do agree that something needs to be done. Someone must go! I think the guys that have been on this team for a long time are too comfortable. I would love to shake the team up by getting rid of Moochie or MoTaylor. But, we do not get any better by doing that. There aren't any simple answers out there. We need to start somewhere though! Change is needed.

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

You say the Rockets should assemble a bunch of draft picks for Yao. Then you go on to point out all of the terrible draft decisions the Rockets have made in the past?

15. rvpals

rvpals Member

Because no one will take on Steve's for this price.

16. mag

mag Contributing Member

Even if we trade Yao with some good players, this team will continue to go to the lottery as long as SF runs the team. SF style of game is flashy and makes TV hightlights, but that type of game won't take any team to the playoffs. The NBA is 5 on 5 and ususally teams that go deep into the playoffs have players that complement each other and make other players better.
    In the Rockets case, giving the ball to SF will mean seeing a lot of ISO and flashy plays but every year we will be wondering who else is needed.
    SF has not lead this team to the playoffs. He has had all the time needed to show his value as a team player and all we have found out is that he is great player on one to one and ISO. Unfortunately that does win games!!!

17. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

very good point. That's the only hope for the rockets to go to playoff. Either trade Yao, or trade SF/Cat/Mto.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Like to Seattle, for Rashard, Ray Allen, Luke Ridnour, Radmonovic, Brent Barry or some combination therof.

19. Charvo

Charvo Member

I think the Kings wouldn't mind having Yao be the successor to Vlade who is going to retire in a couple of years. I think they may give up Webber, Gerald Wallace, Bobby Jackson, and draft picks for Yao, Maurice, Moochie, and JJ. Of course, Maurice and Moochie are attachments to make the deal work salary-wise. This definitely gets the Rockets into the playoffs. Gerald Wallace dunked on Boki in the preseason. Other than that, I don't know that much about him.

20. Charvo

Charvo Member

Throw Don Amaechi's contract in there too. Rockets' side of the deal is $21.7 million for 2004-2005. Kings' side would be $22 million.

Steve Bobby Jackson
    Cuttino Piat
    Gerald Wallace Boki Adrian Griffin
    Webber (Rockets may get Tony Massenburg too to backup PF and center)
    Cato