1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we stop with the "no heart" nonsense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oschadha, Apr 20, 2008.

1. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

You cannot win 22 games in a row without heart. That being said, we are the underdogs in this Series. We are playing a deep, talented, and physical Utah team without our starting center and above average PG. Yet we played a spirited and hard fought game yesterday that made me proud to be a Rockets fan. Sure there were some glaring mistakes and questionable lineups last night. And fans have every right to debate and critique those issues. I have no problem with people debating and critiquing the strategy, rotations, and mistakes made last night. There are a lot of things the team can improve on going forward.

However, the homerism on this board is at an all time high. Such homerism leads to exceedingly high expectations. And when those expectations go unfilled, the homer, still being the homer that he is, comes up with lame excuses of the players having no heart or toughness. Instead of tipping his hat to the other team (yes, the Jazz), the homer begins to throw his team and players under the bus. "McLady", "Disappearing Shane", "Cheap les" and "No heart" become the prevailing themes.

The blinded homer misses shane's 7-7 line, TMAC's tanacity with a bum shoulder (which is discounted because homer thinks TMAC is still 22 and can fly and drive by anyone at will for 40+ minutes), Scola battling and almost picking a fight with Boozer, and Deke drinking from the fountain of youth again.

Nobody expected this team to make the playoffs. Just sit back and enjoy the series.

2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

great post.

3. diehardrockets

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is not really about heart but more about "playing smart and efficient"

Tmac wants to win, I am convinced. Yes, he coasts from time to time....but my problem with Tmac is that when he dominates the ball, the team loses.

When they play like this, they are too easy to guard, and the only way the team wins is if Tmac goes nuts...and that is more and more infrequent.

I want to see less Tmac at the top, and more Tmac coming around screens and off the ball.

DD

5. oschadha

Totally agree, problem is, without Yao and Rafer, we do not have that luxury. TMAC is the primary ball handler

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Somewhat related....

Did anybody else get a kick out of hearing Byron Scott playing his violin during halftime of the Mavs/Hornets game?

"Nobody has given us a chance...." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    "Nobody respects us......" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    "Nobody thinks we can win....." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Please keep complaining Mr. #1 seed. We won 55 fricken games and people act like we barely snuck into the playoffs. Hell, teams were TANKING so they could play us. They might as well take our winning streak and put an asterisk in the record books next to that too, right? :rolleyes: :mad:

Anyway, sorry I wasn't trying to derail this thread. My point goes along with your original point that we should be damn proud of this team and that nobody thought we were even going to make the playoffs in the first place. I'm happy just to be here regardless of the outcome.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

For me it's more about playing with a sense of urgency. We play fast against Utah and we took the lead. We don't push the ball, which allows Utah to get set on D. We don't have enough low post options to play against that type of team.

8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

totally agree. he wants it so bad but he needs to be more of a scorer and he needs to handle less

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Someone should have brought up how he is a shoe in for coach of the year (at least from what I am hearing) despite the fact that our guy in Houston won practically as many games with another year of injuries.

Let's see Byron win 55 games with Paul and West combining for 40 missed games.

10. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I think with the lost of Yao Ming even the biggest fans admited that Rockets can't win it all, but I'd so love to see Rockets advacing first round, heck men even Hornets that sucked last year can or probably will do it.

I mean TMac isn't so "popular" as LeBron James or Kobe Bryant and he'll not get so much talk about him, Rockets aren't entertaining even when they won 22 in a row.

This night I heard a amusing comment from my friend, Fakers fan, Turriaf is more valuable than Yao. How? Well he plays...

People will talk stupid things but 99% of them don't watch games.

11. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

But with Bjax handling he will just jack up a three or make the pass right back to mcgrady with him at the top of the key at the three.......Mcgrady will pass it back to him he will shoot miss..........Scola gets rebound misses but gets fouled and misses at least on FT................To stop all of this we must run better plays........But the free throw problem is beyond me......Underhand it.....

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Let's hope Rafer will be back tomorrow

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm with you man....

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=3623048#post3623048

14. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

I bet you if we put a brave army veteran, an extreme sport athlete, and firefighter, any who you think have a big heart, and I promise you even Kwame brown beat his ass.

Why? because is about talent and making shoot. Ryan Bowen have huge heart, Chuck too, but they suck. Is all about execution and talent, not heart.

Last year we lost to Utah because we have no bench, this year with Yao and Rafer out we still have no bench.

I say health and talent >>>>>>>>> Heart. Anytime, anyday.

15. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

Rockets has heart. but do we as a fan has heart ? that the question.

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Can we please stop bringing up his age. Look at what Kobe, AI, Pierce, and Garnett are doing.

17. oschadha

Kobe - has not been out of the 1st round since Shaq left. (only this yr with Odom and Gasol will he advance).

Garnett - failed to make the playoffs the last how many years?

Pierce - see Garnett above.

AI - plays with Melo, Martin, Camby, Nene, and they still suck. haven't been out of the 1st round in how long?

Each one listed above is a great individual talent. None have carried a team by themselves. TMAC is no different. People expect TMAC to carry this team by himself which is unrealistic, to be both the facilitator and scorer.

The reason given for TMAC not advancing - he doesn't make his teammates better and he lacks heart. The reason given for those other players not advancing, the team around them is trash. Give me a break.

#17 oschadha, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  18. bbjai

bbjai Member

well
    AI did make the NBA finals

19. oschadha

Yeah, I thought about that. Probably the one exception. Deke was in his prime back then ;) Ahhh, I forgot Lebron, but he is a freak of nature....

#19 oschadha, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

health and talent >>>>> heart is an invalid argument since anyone at the top of their profession has to compete with other people who are equally as talented and healthy. What differentiates people at the top are their heart.

And just look at Deke. He's 40 years old but he still plays like a warrior out there. Whenever he was in the game there was a calming influence. Did I mention he made it to the NBA finals before? Heart does make a difference ladies and gentlemen.