1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we stop with the DMo/Jones stats per 36 minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Aug 8, 2015.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol no it's the Harden argument.

On OKC with less shots and usage he produced a certain amount.

On Houston with more shots and usage he produced a lot more.

I'm not arguing for more shots for Dmo. I'm pointing out the facts as to why some players score more per minute. They get more shots and they get the ball more.

You won't get an argument from me about his rebounding. It's not good.

1 person likes this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what are dmo's per36 #'s compared to tjones' in playoff games? :cool:

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If DMo does start getting more shots and usage, game over! That will mean he deserves it, demands it and fills a role we've missed for a long time. It will mean that despite getting Lawson (another high usage player) to match with Harden, DMo has gone to another level that cannot be denied.

That's our dream. Some here use stats to illustrate the possible dream, but which is still just a dream (hence, this thread). I like to keep it simple in my mind. Until it happens, there is a reason it hasn't happened. Until DMo start playing 34-35 mpg, and starts getting higher usage like all-stars, there is a reason. And it usually goes something like this, "It's because he's not an all-star."

4. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I think your basic premise as stated is wrong. If you want to just say dmo isn't as good as people think, that's ok. But saying per36 is a useless stat bc players don't play 36 minutes is missing the point of the stat. You can take the same 13 players above dmo and take them for a per 30 stat and you still get the same rankings bc as others point out its a rate stat. Someone who has 36 points per 36 minutes will still have 30 points per 30 minutes. So the stat is still a comparison stat. If dmo only does 29 minutes a game a you want a rough comparison to other pfs and centers then run a per29 on all of them. People just need to understand that his rebounding sucks but his defense is better than many or even most of the pfs above above him. Also, that's he's only had 2 full years in the nba itself (and 1 in d league), is 7 feet tall, runs like a gazelle, has awesome post footwork. The biggest drawback other than his rebounding? He's a restricted free agent and will get close to max or max next year assuming similar production and no injuries.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I think the truth is somewhere in between. Certainly rate stats have value in that it is meaningless to compare counting stats between players who play radically different minutes per game. On the other hand, players that play fewer minutes should have improved rate stats, because they can use more of their energy in each minute they play, not needing to keep some in the tank for that 36th minute of playing time.

I disagree with heyp's assertion that players not getting playing time always are undeserving of increased playing time. While generally correct, there are notable exceptions like Tom Brady that show sometimes deserving players aren't getting a shot because an established player is in front of them on the depth chart. Certainly these are in fact exceptions, and not the rule, but it allows for some hope that there is a diamond in the rough sitting on the bench.

6. heypartner

LOLs, yet you still had to post in it. Take a break, dude. You don't have to post in every thread.

7. Houston_Rockets

The goal is to make DMO look as good as possible. Clutchfans have a massive amount of people that defend that this guy is a beast because he has the footwork that very few have in the NBA, what people don´t understand is that while it looks sexier then seeing LMA turnaround jumper over anyone, or Blake dunking over anyone, fact is a point is a point, a missed rebound is a missed rebound, back injury is a back injury.

Another thing that is fun reading, 90% of CF call D12 injury prone, and you never see them talk about DMO durability. Dwight missed 8 games in the first 7 seasons while playing 35+mins, I will let let you go and search for DMO "stats" on that one.

And the worst part is that DMO doesn't deserve to be hated or anything, just like TJones, they have worked hard to get better, both have limitations, none are special players, don't need to say which gets the preferential treatment in here.

8. bmd

bmd Member

What are you trying to say?

People used to think D-Mo sucked. The vast majority liked Jones better than D-Mo. Then this past season D-Mo made a huge leap forward. Jones didn't look any different from the previous year.

D-Mo doesn't get preferential treatment. He's earned the praise.

9. OpenLayup-Why3?

1. OP came up with this "people post DMO's per 36 stats all the time" without evidence.
    2. OP has anti DMO agenda in every single post, he should rename this thread to "I hate DMO".
    3. "DMO is the worst player in the NBA" thread is enough of a reason to glorify DMO for the rest of his career. Dude overcome being the worst player in the NBA (according to clutchfans) to extent where a lot of people gonna offer him 8 digit salary. DMO is a legend and TJones is stomping homeless people.

10. Houston_Rockets

Yes, he deserves a significant amount of people in this forum saying that they don´t want LMA because we have DMO :rolleyes:

Some say he will be better in a couple of years, some say he will be better this year, i am sure he deserves this amount of praise. And please don´t tell me to quote people, or say that those are just a few bad posters, significant amount of people believe he is at least a star player in this league going forward.

And the only question is where have people seen this star PF?

If you don´t think Jones is a better player then he was when he was a rookie I can´t help you. Fact is this old age CF discussion about DMO or Jones is worthless for me because both are role players now and going forward, so it is all about chemistry and who should come off the bench. What is not a question is how this forum is biased when it comes to how good DMO is.

Why do people cry about the fact that people were calling DMO a terrible player in the beginning of his NBA career? He played like garbage in the beginning because he was having insane trouble with the physicality of the game, plus his pick and role defense was atrocious. That is a fact, now if people were saying that he was going to be garbage going forward just because of a couple of games, then you have a point, I don't recall significant amount of people ending DMOs career in his first year, while I see people saying how great he is every day.

Cant wait for DMo to get an asinine offer next year, and 70% of this forum to riot if we don´t make a similar offer.

11. dmoneybangbang

Are you sure you just don't like DMo a lot and just sticking up for your boy?

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Heypartner your wasting your time even engaging a guy who's been in here 2 years or so and he's already got over 15K+ posts. DMO has finally turned into a good player and I really love his post moves but he's got to be one of the most over hyped players (up there with Linsanity) I've ever seen in the garm period. Jones has been vilified ever since LaMarcus Aldridge playoff debacle and he'll never lose that stigma in here. I will laugh my ass off if Jones ends up the starting PF this upcoming season because guys like BobbytheFluke and Jopat will need to go on suicide watch LOL. I like both DMO and Jones equally and I want both players healthy this season. The summer doldrums is in full effect :grin:.

1 person likes this.
  13. jbasket

jbasket Member

Werdy Word heypeepee.

No, he has gotten the "What have you done for me lately" praise. People just assume he would play well in the playoffs. People just assume he will come back from the back (pun intended).

Dare I say many Dmo fans are as stupid as LOF. From jtr saying only Anthony Davis is quicker than DMo on the perimeter, to Rocket River saying he almost like Kevin Love, to DD saying that DMo makes Dwight expendable, it is getting out of control. The Dmo circle jerk needs to stop, or at least be contained in some threads. It is starting to ruin many threads, much like Lin did.

Just... control yourselves. We need a Motiejones, not this dump messing up CF.

Edit: dang, jumpshooter beat me to it. Repped. Should not have watched some Youtube videos between writing this post ;)

14. ling ling

ling ling Member

Did James Harden ever average 36 minutes or even start before he was signed for the max?

15. heypartner

Harden has three years as starter with 36+ mpg under his belt and three-time All-Star for that time period. What's your point?

16. jbasket

jbasket Member

He was an Olympian & 6th man of the year.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Heypartner adding some much needed sanity to the mpg and usage arguments.

I agree 100%.

If DMos usage isn't that high there's a reason for that. Will he get more? Maybe maybe no. Probably not to the point where he's an All Stat tho.

18. conquistador#11

I would agree but in demo's case. He plays the best pick and roll Defense on the team, better than bev who always gets lost. And offensively, if you feed him, he has great footwork to make a davis or any other elite big man look foolish guarding him. Not to mention, he is a great passer and wants to pass it, unlike Tjones. I think we can use 31 minutes for demo. Feed him and get the most out of it.

19. ling ling

ling ling Member

Not with Oklahoma before Houston signed him.

20. heypartner

Again, what's your point?