1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can we really afford to get rid of a Asik??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haiti1804, May 3, 2014.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think about 2 mil less than Asik.

I though Baynes and Splitter did a good job in the paint and against Aldridge together they make about half of what Asik makes...And most of that is Splitter...

Hell, Baynes is practically playing for free by NBA standards.

Asik is super overrated here. He's a 0 offensively and while he is a good defender and rebounder, he's not so good that he's worth what he's being paid.

We can find players that can be decent defenders and rebounders//trash guys/hustle guys for much cheaper.

We got Harden...Then we got Dwight...

Time to trim the fat. Lin and Asik, I'm talking to you. Get your third star, or really good player (Love, Lowry, Carmelo, ect..) and fill in the roster with Bird man, Chalmers, Norris Cole, Aaron Baynes, Tony Allen, Matt Barnes type players)

Cisco isn't a bad filler option on a championship roster, he just doesn't need to be counted on to be a big part of the rotation.

But Lin and Asik? Those guys have to go if we are going to compete for championships. Especially dragging around McHale as the head coach.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I listed several players in another thread. I'm not going to make a list everytime some Asik nut hugger asks for it.

Go to google, search for NBA centers/Bigs and fill in the blanks yourself.

There are several players in the NBA that could play some solid back up minutes behind Dwight. And if you want to know how we can get said players, just close your eyes and think really hard about all the ways players can be aquired in the NBA. I'm sure you can come up with at least 3.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I actually did try to do search and did not find the plethora of available Asik replacements you mentioned. I hope you're right. I just couldn't identify them. Which thread?

I'm not in love with Asik. I just have always liked the idea of 48 minutes of rim protection. Don't want to go back to the Greg Smith days.

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. Dmo needs to step up and Gortat is available.

5. vernonmaxwell11

this seconded if not already. based on his play this season (or lack of, coupled with his b****ing and moaning) asik is NOT a starting caliber center. he pissed me off almost as much as lin did when he couldn't just dunk vs. a weak layup that gets blocked.

6. vernonmaxwell11

how much do you pay for a backup centers? i think gortat is more expensive than asik right?

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don't know who is available and who isn't.

My point was that there were a lot of players that could play solid back-up minutes behind Dwight in the NBA for a much cheaper price than Omer. And while some may not be as good on defense, some can catch and finish much better. But overall, there are a lot of guys who are at least of the Aaron Baynes/Jeff Ayers/Tiago splitter type category of player.

Now of course Pop is a big reason those guys are serviceable, but besides those guys there are other guys like Reggie Evans, Larry Sanders was cheap...Brandon Wright, Jordan Hill, Nick Collison, Jermaine Oneal, Cole Aldrich, Jason Collins, Myers Leonard, Mozgov, Oden, Pachulia...There are slso some young players/rookies that played ok this year....AKA it might not be totally unrealistic to grab a rookie and have him as part of the big man mix...

There's quite a few guys out there that could give you some quality big man, bang the board, play ok defense minutes.

http://espn.go.com/nba/players/_/position/c/league/nba

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Um, did you see that scrub Brook Lopez completely outplay Asik? If you let Brook Lopez outplay you, you can not too valuable. Lopez dominated Asik and even outrebounded too. Ship his overpaid azz outta here and give me a bigman that can catch and make layups

9. treeman

treeman Member

Well, since we can't really afford to keep him and he doesn't want to be here I'd have to say yes, we can afford to get rid of him.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The thing is Asik plays ****in' smart. He positions himself by by reading where the rebound will deflect from and that alone along with his low mileage makes him a compelling commodity. Look at other athletic bigs, they can't snatch nearly as many rebounds per because they don't have it up there... Mchale and his staff wasted everybody's time and the Rox stunk it up because of that very reason..

11. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

I think we definitely can. I think there are cheaper options out there who can do what Asik does.

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

It was Howard that got screwed by Brooks multiple times...such as being pump faked while driving to the hoop. Pump fake by Brook Lopez? Really Howard? You don't ever worry about him shooting a 10-footer, let alone being pumped fake making you jump in the air. I was quite shocked to see that...i was like what the hell....

13. treeman

treeman Member

It doesn't matter. Let me say that again: IT DOESN'T MATTER. Why? Because we can't afford him and because he doesn't want to be here. We either trade him for a useful piece or he walks first chance he gets.

HE IS NOT STAYING HERE. He is leaving, the only question is when. It is not even up to us. He is not a puppet, he is not a slave, he doesn't want to be here and he is not staying any longer than he has to. We can get him what he wants and get something we want in return by trading him, or we can watch him pout for another year before he walks and leaves us holding the bag. NOTHING we say or do is going to change that. Unless we get rid of Dwight, of course. How likely would you say that is?

Asik's fate with this team was sealed the second Howard signed his contract with us. The only questions regarding his departure are when and under what circumstances. Accept it.

1 person likes this.
  14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Economically we just can't keep him. A guy like Okafor or Gortat ( pipe dream he's getting paid) would lessen the blow on the court though

15. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Your talking a few plays. Howard dominated Lopez the majority of the series. But when Howard switched on LMA, Lopez went CRAZY. That left Asik down low with Lopez and Lopez destroyed him. Lopez is a overall better player than Asik and ppl are on here like we need Asik:confused: No. We need a backup center that'll come in and bring energy. The Rockets might lead the league in players playing outta their positions

16. bobotheclown

bobotheclown Member

Yes, as long it's to upgrade other areas. I.e. PF, Bench, PG

17. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

My thoughts too. I thought Robin Lopez had more of an impact on the series than Asik for sure.

Also it should be important that we get someone who doesnt pout so that Dwight can get more rest through the season. Maybe even 2 big men

18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

You can sign Parson with Asik's contract and hit the luxury, Morey and Les already said they would if they feel he is part of the puzzle. The issue with the big contract is adding a free agent, you can do that and go over the cap and if your already over the cap, your screwed like the D.J.

19. kunene

kunene Member

Trade Asik and whoever else to get someone like Millsap. Then sign Spencer Hawes. We can convince him to come here by pitching him the plan that he'll be used to spread the floor, shoot open shots, and crash the boards. He'll love to shoot those open threes. He's also a pretty good passer for a big man. We'll have to pay him 7mil but it'll be worth it to replace Asik.

1 person likes this.
  20. scottie brooks

If it improves the team, yes. Why else would we get rid of Asik?