1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can we really afford to get rid of a Asik??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haiti1804, May 3, 2014.

1. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Without Asik we would have got swept this series, quality seven footers who play defense like that are hard to find , can we really afford to get rid of him? Unless you can get a clear upgrade at the 4 that can compete with the LaMarcus Aldridge or Dirk Nowitzki's out west what is the point of getting rid of him???? lin on the other hand can go.

2. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

I never wanted him traded early in the season and was told here there was a zero percent chance that happened.

I still want to keep him.

3. filamswag

filamswag Rookie

give me kevin love/ryan anderson then ill trade asik

4. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

We have to trade him...his contract is needed off the books so we can resign Parsons.

5. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Getting rid of Asik would be a huge step backwards for this team, he is vital to a championship run, unless you're getting an all star power forward in return

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Long term he's gone anyway, so they better start looking for a new backup center and decide very soon whether or not they believe T-Jones is the answer at power forward.

7. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

parsons is replaceable Asik is not

8. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

I mean, isn't Morey planning on keeping him? Why else would he release Greg Smith for backup backup players in Pittman and Powell?

9. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

10. Andrew Wiggins

Lol, one bad screen. Come on. The way the game was being played, and how they call it in the last minute I am sure he is surprised they called it. Too bad he is wearing a Rockets jersey.

We have to trade him because he has no reason to be loyal to us. He will prefer to leave us when he is a free agent because we promised him he would be a starter and we didn't keep that promise. He wants to start.

11. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Except Asik will Leave once his contract is up,we should try and trade him this Summer Along with Lin and get some Bench help or Melo.

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I was a huge Asik fan, but he does suck. Maybe if he'd spent more time running and exercising instead of b****ing and making to his agent, and everyone else, he'd have enough stamina to pay a solid 20 minutes if the bench. Also, who replaced his hands with lunch boxes? That butter fingered, whiney b****.

13. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Fixed it for me.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Why are we not picking up the option on Parsons' contract?

15. Deniz

Deniz Member

My Predictions

- Asik will be traded
    - Lin will stay with the Rockets

16. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

They can stay if we trade Harden.

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Sure we can afford to get rid of Asik - if we get equal value in return. Asik is a valueable player, he just is not as valueable to us as he might be to another team. So we should try to "get rid" of him - but we shouldn`t be desperate trying to do that.

If we don`t try to clear space I´d take a long hard look at Millsap. He is the do it all player like Parsons, just at the PF spot. With him our starting 5 would be set for the future. But I doubt Atlanta would do the switch straight up.

Another way to go would be, to just let his contract run out (same with Lin) and try to be a big player in 2015 FA. But that would probably mean we have another disappointing postseason.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Asik is way overrated here.

There is a reason Morey didn't pull the trigger on any trades. That's because no one else valued him enough to give up as much as Morey wanted.

Charlotte is the only team in the entire play offs that lost a series in fewer games than we did. And somehow Asik is the reason we weren't swept?

No. There are other players that are cheaper and can play defense and rebound at least half as good as asik but are much better on offense catching finishing...hitting mid range jumpers.

Asik giveth on one end and taketh on the other. Hard to get driving lanes and spacing. Can't shoot reliably, can't finish reliably, can't catch reliably. He's just a big pick setter.

Asik and Lin need to go. Canaan is going to be better than Lin next year IMO. I think he's already better, just needed seasoning. Better all around player and much cheaper.

Only reason Asik looked so good is because tjones was so miserable. There are quite a few back up center options and if you get a pf that is actually an impact player Asik is even further diminished.

If Aldridge had to consistently work on the defensive end that would have been huge. But he didn't. Whether he was guarding Asik or jones, Aldridge got to chill and conserve his energy for offense.

Asik has good defense. He's a good rebounder. But this guy isn't close to being a star player. So yes, we will be ok without him as long as we find a real of and a decent back up center.

1 person likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Asik isn't overrated, he's one of the 10 best centers in the NBA, but on this team he is a luxury. He was only so necessary in this series because we have no PF.

Upgrading PF is priority 1, 2, and 3 this offseason. If we can't upgrade the PF, than we can't trade Asik, as long as that hole exists we need him.

20. basketballholic

The reason Morey didn't trade Asik is because the rest of the league tried to undervalue him and Morey knows his true value. He wasn't going to go backwards in a deal.

Overated my butt. If Asik had started this series from Game 1 we'd have won in 5 or been coming home for game 7 right now.