1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we keep Beverley and Smith next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Dec 27, 2014.

1. haydenfisher342

Bev going to get paid. 3 and D pg not going to get paid ? If we get dragic good bye bev. If a legit pg is avab come free agency, good bye bev. Only way I see bev in a rockets uni is if we make a legitimate shot at a chip or loyalty kicks in and signs a cheap deal.

Posted parsons was going to get paid 10 mil. My prediction bev will be offered 5-7 mil. I hope im wrong I like bev alot.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If we get Dragic our team will be 110% focused on winning a championship, meaning we wouldn't let a valuable player like Beverley walk because of money. Everybody important would be retained and we would focus on building the team to it's maximum potential.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Unless Smith just really sucks for the Rockets(which in that case would you really want him back?)....Some desperate team out there will give Smith double the MLE. It's just that they will shorten the length dramatically to probably 2 years. That's not a bad Josh Smith deal to pay on the open market.

So for the Rockets to retain him, he's probably going to have to take a huge pay cut at the MLE. It's not out of the question but if I'm the Rockets I plan to move forward without him next year and view him as a rental for this year.

If you can retain him than great, but don't count on it. The Rockets cannot forget about DMo and TJones. That's still the future beyond this year it's looking like.

#23 dobro1229, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Need to factor in the net amount Smith actually makes from a higher salary given the credit for his Pistons contract. The difference might not be that much, especially when you factor in fact that there is no state income tax in Texas. He might lose little, if anything, from taking a MLE deal with Houston, at least for a year or two, as opposed to signing to play with a team in a tax state. Even if there is a slight difference, he might forgo it to play on this team.

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

What exactly is the he situation? How much cap space would we have to offer? Is smiths contract with the Pistons still relevant in some way? If so, could we just offer another one year contract and everyone is happy?

I really fear smith is gone after the season. With the new tv deal most average players will get 8 million. Smith could very well get 12-15 a year if he plays big for us...

6. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Pistons still owe Josh 50 something millions right? It depends if he's in it for the money like Melo. If he's smart, he stay for another year or 2. Here his points come easy with Harden and Howard in the line up. Not to mention playing along side with his BFF Howard. If a bottom feeder team throw crazy money at him, it's gonna be the same sad situation he was in when he was in Detroit. I don't see him signing to another contender when here he has Howard and Harden unless greed is in his blood

7. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

there are a lot of dumb GM's, but none dumb enough to offer josh smith 10+m a year after what we all saw in detroit. it's not like his old detroit contract was the max. it was like 12m a year. why not claim him off waivers if josh smith is worth 10+m a year?

8. anchel

anchel Member

Problem is Rockets don't have bird rights with Josh. We could retain both Josh and Pat, but if you want to bring Dragic, then you can't retain all of them and you gotta choose.

9. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

After he plays a major role on the 2014-2015 NBA championship team.. other teams will line up to try to sign him--he will get paid

EVerything in Detroit goes out the window

10. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Can we work a sign and trade for our own free agent ? Lol philly?

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

12. cebu

cebu Member

if we make it to the Finals, Les will make a way where there seems to be no way...

13. yobod

yobod Member

Your facts are all wrong, $26M but that's beside the point on what his next contract will be. I wouldn't blame him for taking a $4 year $40M contract for a mediocre team like the Bucks or Kings. That's not our business to expect him to take 2 year MLE ($10M) and leave $30M on the table. The Hawks made the playoffs pretty much every year he was there. Detroit should t define him...

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It doesn't matter who you sign 1st. The most you can offer Smith next summer is the MLE and you can exceed the salary cap to sign Bev since we have his Bird Rights.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Is there a reason for that?

Because of his stretch provision?

16. crash5179

Not sure exactly what your question is? We don't have Josh Smith's bird rights so we can not exceed the salary cap to sign him with out using an exception. The MLE is the largest exception we will have in the summer. If we had Smith's bird rights or were sufficiently below the salary cap we could spend the max on him.

17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Yes, he's not going anywhere and with Dwight on the team, I think we can keep Smith if he performs to standards.

Really just love the starting five. 4 plus defenders all of which can go off on any given night offensively and one of the most dynamic scorers in the league.

Motiejunas, Brewer, Canaan, Terry, Johnson, etc on the bench is gold

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I guess I didn't realize how far against the cap that we were.

How much will the MLE be?

19. crash5179

The Non-Tax Payer MLE will be 5.464 million in the summer of 2015. Depending on what the Luxury Tax Threshold and the Apron is the Rockets may not be able to use the whole MLE. The MLE may not be used to exceed the Apron. If the Rockets have a salary of 76 million and the Apron is at 80 million the Rockets will only be able to use 4 million of the MLE.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think Beverley's contract will be comparable to Isaiah Thomas'.