1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we go far? I think so.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Molotov Cocktail, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Molotov Cocktail

Molotov Cocktail Contributing Member

Granted one game is only one game (and if the Rockets start looking ahead we are screwed), but I think that if we are fortunate enough to eliminate Dallas, the stars are aligned for us to make a big playoff run.

The reason I say this is because this years' Houston Rockets were built to succeed in the playoffs. Scanning over the rest of the West, really only one other team is built with the same playoff mentality as Houston: San Antonio. And something tells me that the Spurs are ripe for the picking this year; they just don't seem to be cohesive. A hunch tells me that either Denver or Seattle is going to take them out.

This team has a unity and a certain chemistry that I, and I think many others, haven't seen since the mid to late 90's. This is a rare team in which every single player knows what they are supposed to do. That is the first ingredient to building a championship team.

Call me crazy, but I honestly think we could take Phoenix out in the second round. Over the regular season we were one of the few teams who showed that the Suns could not only be stopped but also blown out.

Provided that Seattle follows through with my theory and knocks out San Antonio, a Houston-Seattle conference final I think would closely resemble a Houston-Phoenix semifinal. A cohesive, defensively oriented Rockets team that can also score is the ticket to success against Phoenix or Seattle.

Yeah, I know most of what I said is theoretical and not fact-based. But like I said earlier, something tells me that if we can take Dallas down, this edition of the Houston Rockets is going to do something special.

Dream big but take it one step at a time. I don't post much in the GARM anymore but that's my $0.02. :cool:

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

You are not crazy, not at all, so don't think so for a second. I knew long ago that the Rockets would be going far in this season's playoffs. I stated that if the Rockets beat the Mavbricks that they would go all the way.

Think you're crazy for thinking the Rockets could beat the Suns? Please! The Suns really won't have a much of a chance against the Rockets. Teams like the Suns don't go far in the playoffs. At least not against a slower tempo, inside-outside team, with a great defense like the Rockets. Offense wins highlights and defense wins championships isn't just a cliche.

I gotta stop talking 'cause I'm starting to get into jinxing territory, and I've been watching myself lately to make sure I don't do that. If the Nuggets or Sonics/Kings miraculously do take out the Spurs, the road for the Rockets would get easier and easier. The first round is the hardest matchup for the Rockets.

Also, the Rockets have already shown what they can do to the Heat. I'm not worried about them either.

#2 rockets-#1, Apr 25, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

now that is some positive thinking... but to be honest the west is so open this year, there are a good six teams i think could make it to the finals. excluding the kings and grizzlies. there are not many years that you could say that.

but i would have to say that the rockets have as a good as chance as any other team the west the way they have been playing.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

My thought at the beginning of the playoffs was that the winner of our series will win the West. (and I predicted Rockets in 6)

SA knocked out early due to Duncan's injury (holding up so far), and I think the Rockets have a pretty solid shot against everyone else. Denver might be our toughest roadblock, really. Maybe Sacto would be tough if they got healthy, but I don't think they'll get there fast enough to win 1st rnd.