1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we ever see a Showtime team again?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CY02, Dec 25, 2002.

1. CY02

CY02 Member

I am thinking about the 80s Showtime Lakers. And I wonder if we could ever see a team made up of this talent level again. I mean Magic arguably the best pg ever, Kareem the best center ever plus James Worthy (I think he's also in HOF?) and other players who are also stars in their own right. How they could sign so many stars I really don't know. :eek: And the basketball they play is also a beauty to behold.

Look at the current Lakers, the overall talent simply can't match up. Okay also they also have a couple of future HOFers but the other players are best described as average at best in the league. The basketball they play is also really boring compared to the Showtime but somehow they are able to win 3 rings! :eek:

I really think salary cap really restict to teams of having 2 superstars at most and thus deny the current young fans of watching the true great talented teams and great basketball. And that's not good. :(

2. LLJ

LLJ Member

The Kings play a similar game to Showtime Lakers. I imagine the Kings are not liked here very much, but they play uptempo with a lot of passing and cutting, and they score a lot of points (though they've averaged less this season so far).

I would almost also say the Mavs, but that's a guard/small forward oriented team whereas the Showtime Lakers depended on the passing of their big men AND their guards. The Mavs don't have any spectacular big men passers like the Kings or the old Lakers did.