1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets contend with Dwight at $15-$20 million?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Firebomb525, May 11, 2016.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Not if we add Horford. Horford at $25m per and Dwight at $15m per - we could contend if healthy.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm all for hypothetical's. Especially in the summer....

So to answer the question: technically, yes.

Dwight at $15-20M implies there's room to sign a KD type, so of course, in that highly unlikely scenario we are most certainly contenders.

Don't count on that, though. I would be utterly shocked if he had any desire to come back here. And I think it's pretty evident that retaining him would be a last resort on our end. This isn't quite how the NBA Free Agency fairy tale works.

3. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Honestly, those of you thinking that Dwight will re-sign for $15M are being delusional. That's only 16% of the upcoming $90M salary cap. That's like asking Dwight to re-sign for $9.5M in 2014 when the cap was still at $57M.

And given Dwight's displeasure with his role in Houston, I don't see him taking a huge paycut out of loyalty to the team... lol. If he stays, it'll be for market value.

He's also 30 years old, and this will be the very last big contract he'll ever sign. He'll take the biggest contract that's offered to him. Teams will line up to pay him $25M+ because there is just way too much cap room available this summer. Too many teams with cap space, and not enough decent free agents to go around.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As if teams didn't put Dream in pnr abd get open shots. Its what happens when guards dont fight through screens.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey there, again, BBH.

Let's try this with you throwing out some names and I'll tell you know who I like.

#125 Plowman, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Let Dwight go ride with Capela

DD

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree wholeheartedly on both counts.

Just think another quality/serviceable big man (doesn't have to be uber expensive) is needed to augment CC (who is on his way) at this point.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

What becomes of Dwight when he loses his athleticism? He has no post moves, no jump shot, He relies very heavily on being able to out jump/muscle everyone. Dwight should not be given a 5 year deal.

#128 LCAhmed, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You are already seeing that now, he no longer goes for all the blocked shots, his rim protection has pretty much gone outside of a few cases a game, he rarely challenges shots like he used to.

He stands under the basket to keep his rebounding numbers up - and he has no offensive game.

He has to go - there is no way you sign a declining guy like him - especially when his attitude is that he is the same player as he used to be.

Literally he is a team killer at this point.

DD

10. Lightsnowaction

Don't want a repeat of last season, has to go. As well as half the roster to improve chemistry and heart.

11. ilias

ilias Member

Literally? When did that happen?

On a serious note, despite his many flaws, we cannot replace what he brings to the team for under $20m. He is an elite rebounder, a strong defender and rim protector. Limited on offense and not a positive locker room presence. As McHale said, he is not the problem, but not the solution either.

Going with Capela or any other cheaper FA options, is a step back (unless Capela grows rapidly). Between giving $20m to Dwight $20m or $12-15m to someone like Ezeli/Biyombo/Gasol, Dwight is the better option. If Whiteside comes, then sure, let Dwight go.

My main concern with Dwight is longevity, not current performance. He is worth 3/60m in my mind. If we clear out our bad contracts and unproductive players, that should give us enough cap room for another max signing.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Not everything is on Dwight, and the media definitely has a chip when it comes to reporting on him, but he needs to go. It's just not working out.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He literally killed the entire team. Literally. :eek:

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Everybody is up the wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dwight Howard must not be on a Rockets team. The Rockets hope to have at least two of the following players this year and another in the next season
    ( Whiteside, Duran, Horford and Conley ) Haveing Howard on the team willl up set the the Rockets Plans if successfull in their plancs we will have a fantastic team.:p
    Y
    Stop the crazies!