1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets contend with Dwight at $15-$20 million?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Firebomb525, May 11, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

15 million/yr Dwight? Yes

20 million? No

Dwight is still good enough to be 3rd best player on a championship team.

Keep him happy with a few postups per game and more than a few alleys.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Better options my ass, plow. Rockets aren't getting KD. They're not getting Horford. Get Conley, Lee, retain Dwight. Dump Brewer somehow and consider moving Ariza. That will leave us with a good amount of cap space to re-tool around Harden, Howard.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I agree it's probably time to move on, but if we get a real #2 guy and Dwight is okay with a big discount then I'd entertain the idea. What center are we going to get that's better than Dwight?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dwight Howard is a LOSER - he will never win anything again now that his ahtleticism has waned.

If you sign Dwight Howard you are WASTING Harden's career.

Just let this loser walk.

2 times you are happy with Dwight Howard.

1. When you sign him
    2. When he leaves

We need number 2.

DD

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Too much money he is only going to get worse because he has done nothing to improve his game and as his athleticism goes he goes south.

6. sammy

It all starts with coaching. A coach that holds Harden and Howard accountable. Leadership comes from the top down. Morey needs to make the right moves. I'm okay with moving on from Dwight but value is value. If you can retain him on a value deal in regards to where the cap is heading, you have to do it.

7. sammy

Morey has made it clear that he will consider retaining Dwight. He said we want to add very good players and that Dwight is a very good player. Don't let this joke of a season be the end-all for everything. JBB had no business coaching this team. Pathetic.

8. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Calling him a loser is a bit harsh.
    Not doubting your points, but curious as to why you need to call him a loser?

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight isn't a star anymore but can still be a solid center in this league if well coached. He needs good coaching just like Harden.

Whether we keep him or let him walk, we still need a #2. If we let him walk we also need a starting caliber center.

10. DaDakota

Because that is what he is, the guy flat out quit on the team this year at times, he sulked through the entire season, refused to accept his role and coasted.

He is a team killer, everywhere he has been the org was happy he left.

Same here, we had 1 good year out of him, last year the team played great when he was OUT 41 games and played far fewer minutes.

He wants to be a star, but he just isn't and it is the muscle between his ears that is holding him back and the Rockets too.

Good riddance.

DD

11. sammy

DD hasn't played ball in decades so he's forgotten what it feels like to actually play. Nobody likes to run back and forth, do all of the dirty work.. All for naught. Keeping the big man involved should be a part of the offense and I don't mean by just methodically dumping it in the post. We had a crap system. This team needed a proper coach and system.

12. DaDakota

I have played ball, but it has been a few years, and have coached too - and yes, I completely agree with getting the big man involved and how that helps chemistry - however, Dwight is a team killer - players do not like him, not just fans, you see other players calling him soft and a wussy, because he is....the guy is just not a great player, and is in serious decline.

If Dwight wanted the ball and was not so wussifying passive aggressive he could have demanded it, and he could have simply gone and got it off the glass.....but instead he pouted - who wants that - talk about making yourself small.

And mentally he is small, and shrinks in big moments.

I am so happy he is leaving - and this team can get busy building around Harden.

DD

13. basketballholic

I'm fine with Dwight leaving as long as we have a definitive solution to replace him. And that is my problem with you guys that wasn't him gone and you suggest that we have better options but you don't last out what these better options are, Plowman. I have a lot of respect for you basketball-wise and with your insider contacts. So please tell us WHAT are the better options? How do you fix our rebounding issue after dumping one of the top 5 rebounders in the whole Association? What are our options to make or defense championship worthy after we dump one of the top 5 rim defenders in the Association?

You wanna dump him.. Fine. What are our better options?

#53 basketballholic, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not so sure about your last sentence, you call a Dwight a mental midget and it was Harden who shrank in the Finals against the Heat years ago.

While Dwight is smiling and shrugging it off, Harden looks the same way emotionally most of the time

Harden is not exactly the best playoff performer either and he is still young but the lackadaisical demeanor aint not going to change much

You call Dwight no winner because he earns too much

Well, James H. is earning less but he is not a winner until he brings it in the Playoffs or goes to the Finals

1 person likes this.
  15. DaDakota

The book is in on Dwight - he is what he is, and no amount of sugar coating is going to change it.

The book on Harden is still being written, he may become an all time great, or he could be Adrian Dantley.

I think you get a good strong coach in here to find that out, and if it turns out that Harden is not the guy you sell high on him too.

But for now, you have to find out if Harden can become that guy, because we already know that Howard is not that guy.

DD

16. Sanity2disChaos

Dwight has let his ego and brand take a bigger role in his career than just winning. When did he start fooling himself into thinking he has a post up game!!!!?? His best years in Orlando included many dunks and blocks ala pre Deandre Jordan. He needs to accept his roll and play to win. Unfortunately his back and knees are almost gone and he will never be that elite again but can be serviceable if accepting of what has made him Superman. At 15$ per\3 to 4 years and a concrete commitment and understanding, I think Morey makes that bet.

Who is better and attainable at his position ??

17. Play07

Play07 Member

He hasn't made the all star team last 2 years.

We're still loving the past, he misses freethrows, turn over machine, not serious, doesn't co-exist with our star, D is not as good, can't shoot a jumper won't even try to shoot a jumper,

18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Yes but id like him gone

19. DaDakota

Anyone other than Dwight, he is a team killer, a divider in the clubhouse, not a uniter, a quitter, a pouter, a loser.

He will absolutely DESTROY that chemistry - with his emo self.

He has to go, don't care how much he makes, we can't afford to waste another of Harden's prime with Howard.

DD

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Dwight at 20 million would be my max but I would pay it. If he is motivated I would give it to him. If he asks for more then no.

Unfortunately, someone will pay him more. Just waaaaaay too much money in the market. He'll be a consolation prize for someone in FA.