1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets contend with Dwight at $15-$20 million?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Firebomb525, May 11, 2016.

1. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Being stuck with him for 5 years would be brutal. He might not want to believe it, but its down-hill from here.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

My plan would be this:

If you can sign Durant and Horford you have a contender and ok, if you cannot sign them, or better, Durant...and Horford to complete the puzzle, you try to sign players who are/have the potential to evolve into all stars or borderline all stars like Whiteside, Barnes, Batum, Conley...

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely not.

The downside risk of losing him to injury/deterioration AND salary/capspace are unacceptable.

His ability/skills/attitude are problems also.

We have much better options.

I don't want him anywhere near our team going forward.

#23 Plowman, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally i prefer Whiteside and Barnes cause:

- they're younger (so you can still build with them in case Harden leaves in the future)

- they're cheaper (something like 10 milions between them and Batum + Conley if i remember well, with the difference you can sign two decent players or a good one)

- they're not injury prone or close to be it

- they play in two spots where we definitley need something, especially since/if Dwight is gone

5. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I don't believe so. Dwight will get worse and worse as he ages.

Last year was as good a year as Harden/Howard were capable.

Whatever the path forward is for the Rockets, it needs to be without Howard in my opinion.

I don't believe in Dwight's "winneriness". Just my $.02. Which you asked for. ;)

6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Sadly I feel Dwight will have a closer shot at a ring much sooner than Morey will ever have a shot at a ring. Last season Dwight came in super healthy, and surrounded by an orchestra of tire fires from GM to coach to supporting cast and a chubby kardashian reality tv star. Whenever someone was actually capable of getting a ball up in the stratosphere he'd slam it down. But we had Corey shooting 0 for 8 behind the 3, Harden shooting 1-13 behind the 3 and Dwight getting 5 attempts. Dumbest scape goat travesty ever. Did he get disinterested? Hell yeah he did.

We will get Horford for 23 mil a year and Howard will go to a contending team with an actual coach and system for 15 mil a year, and every time we play him he will make Horford choose: syrup or jelly.

1 person likes this.
  7. StrawberryJamm

I like Dwight as a person but teams can get open shots by putting him in the pick and roll all day and he's only going to get slower. He could make the improvements as a post player and free throw shooter to be able to punish teams for putting a smaller guy on him but I think that would have happened already if it was going to happen. I just feel like that kind of player is more easily replaceable like running backs in the NFL and that kind of money would be better spent elsewhere. Capella at 2 million is much better value.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not if he's looking for the money cause no contenders will throw 20/25 for him.

Anyway, i agree with you on Harden's last season start, he was absolutely bad, in every aspect. Inexcusable.

But Dwight does have his faults, as he always had, in every team he played...he just doesn't want to play through his strengths, and when his team forces him to do that, he just make weak picks, he doesn't roll well (or at all) and makes the flow of the offense worse cause he just stays there clogging the paint...he also admitted yesterday that he just let himself go out of games since he gets frustrated. And he did all these things in his career, Magic -> Lakers -> Rockets...so yeah, he has not grown a bit as a player, in 10 years, and this is all on him.

I like Dwight, i still think it was the right move to sign him. But i was hopeful that with McHale, Hakeem...he could have change his attitude and approach, grow into a better player, but i was wrong.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He started the interview with a lie, lol. From the heart?

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think they can.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Let's move on. It ain't gonna work with Dwight.

12. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

That sounds goo espicallly if we're able to land another 17-20 point per game scorer we could have a big 3 locked in for a while if we get a coach and him and harden can just set there differences aside on the court

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think Dwight can be dominant in short bursts or for a stretch of games. I don't think he can be dominant consistently anymore. Dwight cannot move like he used to and quite frankly never learned how to take his game to the next level. Without the athleticism, what does Dwight have to consistently offer offensively? Pick and roll? Sure, but does he want to play that way? Probably not and he just doesn't offer enough of anything else in my opinion. Even more than that, I don't think Dwight has what it takes mentally to be dominant. Dwight is taken out of games so easily if things aren't going his way.

I have nothing against Dwight and his time with the Rockets, he was solid for the most part. I just believe it's time to move on and look in a different direction.

14. DuDDleyDawsonII

Good post,Horford will be one of the worst contracts in the league .

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

3 years of H&H combo. 3 years where this was Harden's team. 2 of the 3 years where Howard outshined the leader of the team as clearly the best player of the combo in the playoffs. The last year wasn't as clear. 3 years of a "coach in name only" type of coach. Such a waste.

All we can do is pray that Howard doesn't sign onto a main Western Conference rival. A rival with a system that includes him. That would be a big tough pill to swallow for us next year.

16. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

I'd much rather have DeAndre than Dwight

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

There's not a single contender out there able or willing to sign Dwight at those numbers, and the coach argument is weak, he had a great coach who built a system around him like Stan Van Gundy, and you know how that story ended...but anyway i wish him well for the future, i don't hate Dwight, in fact i still like him but i just think it's time to move on.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We have no chance of getting KD.

Retain Dwight on a value deal in respect to where the cap is heading and bring in a couple of very good two way players. Conley would help.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, it's time to move on.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DD