1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the post player holding the ball while screen for another player using pivot?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DeAleck, Aug 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Just a quick basketball rule question: if a post player hold the ball down low, can he pivot his foot to use his body to screen for a teammate who is making a cut to the basket?

The sequence goes like this:

1. He gets the ball and holds it
    2. He let his teammate pass him cutting to the basket
    3. Before the chasing opponent could also pass him, he pivots his foot and uses his body to block him, all while holding the ball
    4. He then pass the ball to his open teammate beneath the basket

Is that legal or offensive foul?

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I would think at the very least that'd be a moving pick. The screener has to be set.....but hey they never seemed to call those against the Warriors so what do I know.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you are not in the act of shooting, the same screening rules apply as usual. Do you know the screening rules? You can't surprise a defender by setting a screen. Defender must have some distance to avoid slamming into you.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Even if they don't rule it as a screen, they could easily ping the player for an offensive foul. You can't forcibly enter the space of a defender....

I have a feeling that even if the play could magically work, it wouldn't really work anyway. Big guy sets high screen, passer cuts, big guy decks defender and looks to pass (has his own man right on him, making the degree of difficulty higher) - if pass makes it to attacking player, help defence probably already there.
    If the cutter can get past the post man IN FRONT of his defender, and far enough in front that the defender could wipe out the trailing defender, then surely the post man would have been better off giving the ball to the cutter instead of waiting to wipe someone out?? If there was no space for the initial cut to score, then surely even less space with a delayed pass??

[ok, I thought this through for far longer than it deserved!!]

5. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I like it. If Gs Warriors can jump in front of people at the last second, hold them, put their elbows in their chest and straight up block them like a left tackle, then i don't see how what you described could possibly be an offensive foul.

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Winner winner.....they called the moving pick violations like nobodies business early in the season. But by the end of the season and into the playoffs they seem to let the Warriors set the most aggegious moving picks I've ever seen. I'd see dwight do them too but he only got away with it a few times. Just watch bogut...he's the most frequent offender of the bunch.

7. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I think from a strictly rulebook perspective, a "pivot pick" would only be legal if the pivot has stopped before the contact. E.g., if the defender was already 3 arms lengths away from the cutter. Hitting the defender as part of the pivot would be illegal.

In reality refs suck at all moving pick calls so it hardly matters what's technically legal.

8. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Its legal unless you are Dwight Howard.

1 person likes this.
  9. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Drawing an extra defender into the post player with the ball doesn't sound like a good idea. There would be a high chance for a turnover.

Also the timing you need to execute such a perfect pivot then a crisp bounce pass thru 2 defenders sounds too complicated.

Better to keep it simple and clear out to let the post player operate and the cutter gets an off ball screen from someone else.

10. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

It's illegal unless you are Andrew Bogut and Draymond Green

1 person likes this.
  11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Green by far does it the most......

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree about the pivot part of it is kinda silly. However, it is very common to use a big man with the ball as a screener, in a standing position holding the ball high. Walton, Jabbar, Sabonis, Duncan, Yao all did that.

13. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

That used to be my go-to move! Except, I used my ass as my pivot. I got called for foul every time.

14. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Yes. I remember Yao used to do that at the top of the key a lot. I don't recall too many plays with him in the post doing that. I definitely could be wrong though.