1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Mavs go 15-0?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by A-Train, Nov 14, 2002.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Mavs are 8-0, but take a look at this schedule coming up.

15th - at Boston
    16th - at New Jersey (back to back)
    19th - Lakers (with Shaq back)
    21st - Houston (we always play Dallas tough)
    23rd - Seattle
    27th - at Detroit
    28th - at Indiana (another back to back)

Damn, that's brutal. Combined record of 36-17

If they win all those games, they'll be 15-0 and tie us for best all time start in NBA history (along with some other team from the 40s). Personally, I don't think they'll get it, but if they do, they'll HAVE to be considered instant title contenders

Oh, and the 16th game is against Chicago....That would be hilarious if the Mavs first loss came against the Bulls...

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, they won't go 15-0. I think they lose the game against the Nets. Mavs are good, but they are way too susceptible to a loss when they have bad shooting nights. So much of their offense is dependent on their outside shooting.

3. Mudbug

Mudbug Member

No way that they will be 15-0. My guess is 11-4.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Impossible because we will beat them.

5. verse

verse Contributing Member

houston will beat dallas. seriously, we always play them well.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

They almost lost to the Cavs last night. We will take them down.

7. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

everyone go to www.espn.com and vote for the rockets to beat the mavs.. we are in last place right now!

8. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I think the Mavs have the skill to beat all of those teams...but they won't. I think they will lose to the Lakers (IF shaq is back skill wise and everything) if not already falling to the Nets. However, i DO hope that they win most of the games...as i'm a pretty big Mavs fan (almost as big of a Mavs as i am Rockets) all because of my homeboy (British Columbia!!!) Steve Nash.

9. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I also think their first loss will come against the Nets.

I do think they will beat the Lakers though. From what I hear Shaq is expected back this weekend, and even if he is healthy there is no way in hell he will be in top shape. If the Mavs can run his a$$ up and down the court Shaq will tire. Kobe by himself isn't enough to beat the Mavs.

10. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

No way. We will whoop them. :)

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

No way Dallas goes 15-0, and if they do then they're the best team in the NBA because there's no way anybody could go 15-0 with the schedule, and that includes the 72 win Chicago Bulls. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Rockets beat them, that's one of those weird Michigan State/Ohio State, Duke/North Carolina, Cincinnati/Xavier or whatever rivalry where it doesn't matter how much better then other team is talent wise they will lose to the other team. I remember when the Rockets, during their title run, was making a play for a top record and freaking Dallas knocked them off. And during the Big Three's run they were trying to secure the #3 seed and homecourt advantage in the 2nd round and almost lost to Dallas. And 2 years ago, the year Dallas was a #5 seed in the playoffs, earlier in the year the Rockets just jumped all over them. It's a crazy @ss rivalry.

12. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I think they'll end up 12-3 through the first 15 games, losing to NJ (after all, it IS the second game of a back-to-back), Lakers (they can't handle Shaq, even if he's 10% healthy) and Houston will beat them (Steve will own Nash and Houston's defense is better than Dallas' at this point).

So, no, the Mavs won't go 15-0.

13. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

They will go 11-0, then the Rockets will spank them.

14. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

I doubt the Rockets will beat Dallas in Dallas. However, I do have seats 10 rows up, and if there is a Ming jersey, I'm wearing it.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As I told Refman over lunch yesterday...the Mavs are a great regular season team...but their style of play, as much as i like it, doesn't do much for you in the playoffs.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think they'll only win 2 of those games. Houston and LA.

17. JamesC

JamesC Member

I hope they dont. The rockets almost broke the record and I dont want anybody else comming close to it. If the rockets cant do it, then nobody can :mad:

18. Bookit

Bookit Member

The Mavs have lost two of their big guns in Raef and Van Exel. I wouldn't be suprised at all if they lose tonight against Boston.

As far as Dallas not being a good playoff team...:rolleyes: Give me a break. I suppose the Kings were just fun to watch last year and the Mavs play a similar style. Also, the Mavs can win on the road which good playoff team always do. I hate that lame argument that the Mavs are similar to the Nuggets of the 80's. Yeah right. That team couldn't win away from home.

19. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

They're not a very good playoff team becasue in the playoffs, the half court game is more prominant than the "run and gun" offense that they play in the regular season. The half court game means they have to start playing defense; which of Is something they don't seem to know how to do.

Besides, the King's are one of the better defensive teams in the league while being one of the best offesive teams. The Mav's are the best offensive team in the league, but the worst defensive team as well. The Mav's are no where near the type of team that the King's are right now.

#19 HotRocket, Nov 15, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2002
  20. Bookit

Bookit Member

Maybe you better check their opponent's field goal percentage. .417 is pretty good for an up tempo team. The Kings are allowing .425. I am sure you can explain this away too?