1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone tell me why Dirk....(concerning the MVP)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Lynus302, May 21, 2003.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No, I was responding to Panda's statement that Nowitski is hurt by the talent he is surrounded by. He and BGM are saying that the high level of talent Nowitski is surrounded by hurts him. Yes Bird played on one of the greatest teams ever in 1986.

2. striker

striker Member

Floppers can't be MVPs. Stand up and play some D and we'll think about it.

3. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

No..Chambers could shoot ,,but there has never been a player to compare with Dirk in the NBA..He has big mans size with small mans skills. Hes a little young to compare him with all time greats such as Bird..but I got to see Tom Chambers a lot during his career..He wasnt close to being as good as Dirk ..at anything.
    Dirk has leadership qualities that are already showing..his team placed 3rd in the world games..and he almost single handedly got them there.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't even mention Chambers and Nowitzki in the same sentence. ;)

5. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Didn't Malone win an MVP?

6. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

LOL :D

Basically awesome offense, zero defense, mediocre passer. Hence when he's having a bad shooting night of which he's had quite a few this post season he's absoutely useless. Players like Duncan, KG, Webber, Kidd etc can have a bad shooting night and still have a pretty good game.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Case Closed

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Bird keeps mentioning himself and Nowitzki (maybe you could start by spelling his name correctly) in the same sentence - he says Nowitzki is the one player that reminds him of himself the most.

Also, Dirk just guided the Mavs through two elimination games in the playoffs. Don't make me pull out the stats for those games. If that's not coming up big in clutch situations, then what is.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

oh my God I spelled a German name wrong, I'm so embarrassed.:rolleyes:

Bird shot a higher percentage, averaged more boards, and doubles Nowtizki in assists, and was a three time second team all defensive NBA player and had his first championship by now. If Nowitzki and Dallas win the championship this year, I might have a change of heart.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What does championship have to do with MVP, which is about regular season performance?

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ask the guy I was responding to, I was just responding to his post about Nowitzki's clutch performance's this year in the playoffs.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's okay, no reason to be embarrassed. He has only been in the NBA for five years, so the slower learners among us did not have sufficient time to pick that up. No hard feelings.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Where are your vaunted stats, or has your argument been reduced to being an a-hole, "I know how to spell his name I must be right".:rolleyes:

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Someone's getting worked up :D.

Here's a quote first (from an ESPN chat):

Tony from Jefferson City, MO: Mr. Bird, Of all of the current players playing today (except of Jordan), who is your favorite or better, who reminds you most of yourself when you played?

Larry Bird: I enjoy watching Ben Wallace from Detroit because he hustles and plays hard despite not having tremendous abilities. He gives a great effort every night.

Dirk Nowitzki in Dallas reminds me of myself. He can run the floor, shoot and rebound.

Then another quote from a Star Telegram article:

DALLAS -It's one thing to hear Mavericks coach Don Nelson bring up basketball legend Larry Bird for comparison's sake when discussing forward Dirk Nowitzki.

But it's something entirely different when Scottie Pippen does it.

After Nowitzki torched the Portland Trail Blazers for a franchise playoff-high 46 points Saturday in Game 1 of the opening round of the playoffs, Pippen and his teammates had nothing but praise for the fifth-year Mavs veteran. In fact, Pippen even used the "B" word.

"I compared him to Larry Bird," said Pippen, voted along with Bird as one of the game's top 50 all-time best players. "He's grown a lot, he's shown that he's going to have a great future in this game, and he's shown people that you can compare him to some of the great players.

"So, as people compare Kobe [Bryant] to Michael [Jordan], you can obviously compare him to Larry Bird."

Nowitzki might not yet have the passing skills or post game that Bird possessed. But the other elements of Bird's game -- the uncanny ability to knock down perimeter shots coupled with adroit dribbling and rebounding abilities -- are evident.

Alright, Pippen is not my favorite guy in the world, but he knows some basketball ;).

Actually, Dirk takes a more humble approach - from the same article:

Nowitzki is not one to boast about his skills. As those around him compare him to Bird, Nowitzki wonders why such comparisons are made.

"Hopefully one day I'll be up there [with Bird], but right now I'm just trying to get better from game-to-game," Nowitzki said. "I still see a lot of potential in me that's left."

And finally, here are some stats for you from this article,
    "Nowitzki morphs into Mr. May":

In the current NBA landscape, there is no better win-or-go-home player than Dirk Nowitzki.

He became the reigning undisputed champion of showdowns Saturday night. The Mavericks asked Nowitzki to do more, and he did in the 112-99 victory at American Airlines Center that eliminated Sacramento.

Nowitzki has played the first two Game 7s of his career in the last two weeks. The Mavericks won each time, advancing to the Western Conference finals against San Antonio because of Nowitzki's stunning ability to respond to the moment.

(...)

"I was afraid something like this would happen," Sacramento coach Rick Adelman said.

To score 30 points in a Game 7 while on the same team with freewheeling Nick Van Exel is a remarkable achievement.

"That's what the big boys do," said Mavericks coach Don Nelson, in a conference final for the first time since 1986 with Milwaukee.

This was Nowitzki's seventh career win-or-else game. He has scored at least 30 in six of those games and averaged 31.3 points with a 52.5 shooting percentage. The Mavericks are 5-2 in those games, dating back to the milestone first-round comeback against Utah in 2001.

CASE CLOSED.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He will be in the running for MVP next year.

COUNT ON IT!

16. Band Geek Mobster

Can you think of any other players with very talented teams that have won MVP in the 90's?

I define "very talented" as having at least 2 all-stars on the team along with a very strong 3rd option.

It appears to be evident that a good majority of voters in today's NBA vote for the guy who's loss would most impact his team. I think this is the basis for most votes, of course there will be exceptions, but I think this is a predominant factor in the criteria for today's MVP.

17. Panda

Panda Member

I said Bird was better than Nowitski and hence there should be difference in their status. Bird got the MVP trophy and Nowitsky gets some consideration. So which part worths repeating? As for Bird's great teammates. Does it matter? HOF gets MVP regardless of the talent level. Barkley, Shaq, Dream, Jordan... they are gonna get it anyway becuse they are HOFs. Dirk's not a HOF so what his team has matters here.

Charles Barkley sucked on defense even more than Dirk. Dirk is No.4 in the NBA at defensive rebounding. The Round Mound of Rebound could score, pass and rebound a little better than Dirk. Barkley was nearly useless too when he couldn't score except for getting rebounds. Therefore, Barkley was MVP and Dirk should at least get some consideration, but being surrounded by too many talents who often steal the show makes Dirk seem less important and takes away his shots. I don't find that hard to comprehend.

If there were two other all stars and a bunch of shooters on the Orlando team, you think T-Mac would still put up 32 point a game? No he wouldn't. His importance and value to the team will be diminished, which hurts him a lot when it comes to MVP selection.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Michael Jordan, Shaq,

Can you name teams with more talent than their's. I know with the Lakers, the only other person is Kobe, but during their championship run as well as the Bulls' those two teams were the best teams.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Tony from Jefferson City, MO: Mr. Bird, Of all of the current players playing today (except of Jordan), who is your favorite or better, who reminds you most of yourself when you played?

Larry Bird: I enjoy watching Ben Wallace from Detroit because he hustles and plays hard despite not having tremendous abilities. He gives a great effort every night.

Dirk Nowitzki in Dallas reminds me of myself. He can run the floor, shoot and rebound.

This was Nowitzki's seventh career win-or-else game. He has scored at least 30 in six of those games and averaged 31.3 points with a 52.5 shooting percentage. The Mavericks are 5-2 in those games, dating back to the milestone first-round comeback against Utah in 2001.

Thanks for playing, rookie.

20. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I know you know this, but defensive stats are the worst there are. They tell you very little about the player's defensive presence/ability. Because we know that guys like Hakeem/Wallace/Dikembe are good defenders, we use their defensive stats only to confirm what we already know. But, with Dirk, the stats simply do not tell the story. The half-assed shows on the pick n' roll, the slow rotations, and overall confusion on the defensive end of the court do.

It doesn't matter what his assist average is(If anything, it is inflated because of the jumpshooting offense), the fact is that Dirk does not make his teammates better as do Duncan and Garnett. He does not even draw the double team often enough to get many open shots for teammates, much less create an opportunity through a dribble penetration/post up.