1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone explain to me

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhadamanthus, Nov 29, 2006.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Why a "human rights group" would be opposed to legal adoption of an orphaned and poverty-stricken child?

I can only think it's motivated by a vindictive emotion. I really don't care whether it's Madonna or Mary from down the street - how is this a bad thing, and why would a "human rights group" challenge it?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061129/ennew_afp/afpentertainment

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Madonna's adopted son was not orphaned, the adoption was illegal by the letter of the law, and the birth father claims that he was misled.

3. rhadamanthus

Ok. So he was up for adoption, but not orphaned. What difference does that make?

How?

4. Major

Major Member

My understanding is that the government or Madonna (not sure which) basically told or implied to the dad that Madonna was going to help provide essentials for the child, but not actually adopt him. In other words, the dad didn't want to permanently give away the child.

5. rhadamanthus

Meh. If that's true - thats pretty messed up.

On the other hand, it seems weird that 67 human rights groups are up in arms over this. How many other adoptions with nebulous legality are they fighting so vehemently? It just seems like some sort of Madonna-envy/spite.

6. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

i think there must be more facts to this case than is generally known, considering it was a coalition of 60+ groups and not just one fringe group...

in general the reasons that there in general is concern with overseas adoptions:

1. the parents aren't being told the whole truth and often are so desperate for $ that they are forced to sell their kids

2. the parents or orphanages use this as a means to make money and then ultimately it leads to babies being conceived with this end goal in mind - this argument is likely more fiction than fact but of course it's made in the u.s. with regard to welfare mothers

3. should celebrities be "fast tracked" when it takes the average family in the U.S. a lot longer to adopt.

4. many cultures are worried that having kids adopted out of county will mean these kids will lose their ethnic culture.

oh btw, i actually think that if 1-3 aren't true than I commend Madonna

#6 bronxfan, Nov 29, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will wait and see how this plays out

but this is not picking up a puppy at the pound
    and
    just because a kid is poor and impoverished doesn't mean
    his dad doesn't love and care for him

Rocket River

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Malawi has laws requiring adoptive parents to live in the country for a period of time before the adoption. Madonna basically got the officials to ignore that rule by donating to orphanages.

Since the father has changed his mind about wanting his son back, in my opinion, they should honor his wishes.