1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone answer this for me?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by leebigez, May 29, 2002.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

With all the talk about the clippers trading Odom and one of their picks to the Rockets for a chance to grab J.Williams, why , if they are hell bent on getting a good pg just offer Odom and the #12 for either Miller or Davis? Maybe its just me, but for all practical purposes, one or both are availible, both are La guys and both are very good. For Odom's sake , it would benefit him and the team for him to go to Cleveland to be under Lucas. Just think La could have the 25yr old pg they so desperatly want, plus with the 8 or 12 which ever they want to keep, they could draft either Borchardt or Marcus just in case Kandi walks. Cleveland would be getting a very talented 3 man and with their pick, they could select Wilcox or whatever big man they had their sights set on. The same could be said with Davis of Charlotte. Odom and the 8 or 12 for Davis. Charlotte could slide Wesley back to the pg and move Mashburn to the 2 and Odom to the 3 and La could still draft the center of their choice in case they want to let kandi leave. They have options because they have talent Davis or Miller along with Q,Miles,Brand and Kandi is a reall,real good team. If they choose to let Kandi walk to save a little dough, they'll have Marcus or the Stanford guy as backup. It only makes sense to me.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

leebigez -

Your logic (as usual) is pretty solid but here's something further to consider.

Part of your plan includes contingency in case Olowokandi is gone. Kandi-man will be gone if the Clipps/Sterling don't give him a substantial pay increase. If they won't give it to him, will they Max Brand AND Miller?

How much is Sterling (a notorious tightwad) going to shell out for Kandi, Brand, and Miller? (Odom and Maggette are also QO FA's next summer). This is an intangible in your scenario because we all know Williams will not be there after the second pick and is certainly less expensive than Andre or Baron.

It may come down to economics as much as ability.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thats true Gater about Sterling and economics, I'm just saying that they have plenty of options. The can offer Brand and extension this summer as well as Kandi and Davis and Miller is in Brands category also, but maybe they draft with the intentions of letting Kandi walk, resign Brand and Miller/Davis and roll like that. If this guys is serious about keep this team together or competing for the playoffs, they have many, many options. If they trade Odom and bring in a one of the pg's I mentioned, would Elton be mad and not resign? I mean a Davis or Miller could be just as good if not better than having Kandi around. Or if Krause is still so in love with Kandi, maybe they can squeeze Curry out of him? They like the Blazers and Bucks have a lot of talent. It all depends on how serious the owner is about winning. If Baylor gets the OK from the owner, the first thing he could do is go to Brand, after trading for the pg, and say we're going to trade Kandi, but we will draft a 5 man to help you out. If Elton goes for this, you can enter next yr with Miller or Davis,Q,Miles,Brand and either Borchardt or Marcus. To me thats a pretty good team. It really just depends on how serios the owner is about really winning.