1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Shaq stop MING

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotoloveit2, Aug 24, 2002.

1. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Too many posts on Shaq will destroy MING. No disagreement that MING cant stop Shaq in the low post. But can Shaq single-handedly stop MING in scoring. With his passing ability, any double-teaming on MING will be a great advantage for the ROX. Any thoughts.

2. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Depends on Shaq's big toe hurting or not.

3. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Assuming Shaq has a nice and curative manicure, his toe problem is gone. So can a healthy Shaq stop MING from scoring. Remember, MING dont need to bang to score, not like
    Shaq.

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Did you notice the back of his shirt it said YAO M. This confirms that Ming is only secondary to Yao. Yao is a much more versatile player than Shaq, so in offence,Yao could outwit Shaq from all over the court, if required. IMHO

5. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

Ming agenst Shaq will post numbers close to or better than Shaq so it will be up to the rest of the team to win the game so that brings it down to kobe and horry agenst Steave and Cat

Then Boki wins the game

6. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

YES, he can

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

The fact Ming is such a good shooter leaves strong reasoning on the challenge of stopping Ming...

Not to mention all the things he brings to the table. Its so great!

8. Greg M

Greg M Member

Against the Lakers, bring Ming out to the high post, setting screens. That will open up the middle for the guard play. Shaq doesn't have the quickness to get back and clog the lane. That's Shaq's Achilles Toe.

9. Possum

Possum Member

Having a center that can pull Shaq away from the basket is going to be priceless when playing LA. One one one Ming doesnt stand a chance against Shaq, at least not yet. Did anyone see the first home game last year against the Lakers? Collier yes Collier was nailing outside jumpers and caused Shaq to have to come out and gaurd him which opened up the lane for our guards. Of course at the other end we had to double and triple team Shaq. I imagine thats the same game plan we'll be using against LA everytime we play them from this point on. :cool:

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

No. Shaq will foul Yao on the arm. Then, guess what? Freethrow time!

So, Shaq will just have to let Ming shoot and hope he misses.

Ha ha ha ha!

Remember, Yao can shoot over everyone in the league. Even,
    Shawn Bradley; Bradley has a vertical leap of what, 2 inches?

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Ming the unstoppable2 episode, Shaq will probably contain Ming but not for long and besides, Ming 's got a soft touch on his perimeter jumper!!

12. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Oh my gosh! I am a Houston Born life long Rockets fan with season tickets for the last three years but there is no way I am going to come on here and post that the most dominating center the league has ever seen is not going to be able to stop a rookie. I can't stand Shaq as a person but you have to respect his power. He is not that much shorter than Ming and he has at least 40-50 lbs. on him. Don't forget that Sabonis is 7'3 and really never could use much of a height advantage against Shaq. I really do hope you are right and Ming tears Shaq a new one but ask me if I can honestly say it is likely - NO WAY

13. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

If Shaq is healthy he will destroy Ming, but that is nothing agianst Ming, Shaq destroys everyone, I personaly cant stand to even hear shaq talk, but the simple truth is, He will dominate EVERY center in the NBA!

14. Panda

Panda Member

We're talking about Shaq against Ming on the defensive end here. Aside from Ming shooting mid range jumpers over Shaq's head, Ming has another weapon. Unlike most other centers, Ming can put the ball on the floor. If Ming is fast enough he'll be crossing over Shaq and break his big toe every time. "Ming drives past Shaq and had Shaq spinning!" It'll be FT time and Shaq will be forced to employ "Hack-a-Ming". It's something worths to keep an eye on fellas.

15. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

If you really think about it....Shaq can't stop Ming! He will BARELY if ever leave the paint to contest a shot. Yao has an inside and outside game. Shaq won't go out to defend Yao's jumpers. If I had first draft pick between Shaq at his present stage with his lil hurt toes and all against Ming. I'd pick Ming in a heartbeat.....think about it.;)

16. clarence lui

clarence lui Member

Please be reminded Sabonis was essentially a crippled man (from injuries including completely torn archille tendons in both legs and all) the moment he started playing in the NBA. I would argue Sabonis in his 20s could have completely neutralized Shaq if not more. I'm aware of the possibility of becoming a target by stating such a bold statement. But before you slash, check this out:

http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~ifernand/sabonis/video.html

17. Timing

Timing Member

The second Yao puts the ball on the floor he negates any advantage he has in this league and from the exhibition game it doesn't look like Yao is particularly strong with the ball. I think most of his TO's were on strips, not on bad passes. Shaq can be a really lazy one on one defender though so it wouldn't suprise me if Yao was able to score on Shaq from the perimeter. When he takes it inside on Shaq, well that's when it all will get really interesting. I'd like to see how he reacts when Shaq starts leaning on him. Will he tire quickly or get frustrated? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

18. trifle3A

trifle3A Member

when they double shaq he will be taken out of the game also. he cant just shoot and pass over a rocket double team .

Rockets can take away 90% of shaq's game.

all they have to do is double him and he wont be able to do much damage

sabonis is that tall and atheltic as ming

19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't about that. If it was that easy, NJ or Sacramento would be the champs.

Even if you double him, Kobe or Horry could do something.

(though I'm not saying that doubling Shaq is a bad thing.)

20. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

That's kind of wishful thinking if you ask me. Once big men start to get problems with their feet it doesn't heal very well. Isn't that what derailed Muresan and Ilgauskas?