1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can James Harden get any better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Improve in the Playoffs

PDJACK7 likes this.
  2. mockster

mockster Member

I think he will always get better, how much better I don’t know

Mentally though I think he can improve drastically and think he already has

3. alethios

alethios Member

I think he just needs to make an offensive move earlier in the shot clock during the 3rd & 4th quarters. He's probably gassed by then but that's where improving his stamina & endurance can help.

4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Do it in games james.!!!

5. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Needs to learn to be clutch again!!
    WhAt happened to clutch harden. Used to be the best

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

I've seen this before and I'm not tryna argue. But I just want to know when that genuinely happens. Like highlights or anything. Cause I rarely rarely ever see Harden get that many catch and shoot opportunities. If you have any stats thats good too cause maybe I just missed it.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

He even has the perfect teammate with which to emulate, in CP3.

The way CP3 uses the pick, goes in and then stops, so that the defender trailing the play actually runs into him...that's an example of having eyes in the back of your head, because you can see where the 4 defenders are in your peripheral and direct vision, and feel the 5th defender on either your right side or left side. Gauge the situation, deftly move to an open space and let the midrange fly.

Both CP3 and Harden's games are pretty much at their peaks, but they could learn a lot from each other.

pippendagimp likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I want him to work on his post establishment/step back midrange for late game heroics and to keep the momentum on our side when things get tight in big games.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I want him to work on getting Lebron here. He could be a better recruiter.

hakeem94 and tycoonchip like this.
  10. Mr Chuck Norris

Add that 2014-15 Mid range shot back to his game. And increase his % on catch and shoot shots.....and boy looky here

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think the MVP trophy James Harden received will light an even bigger fire within next year

Stormy1234 and hakeem94 like this.
  12. kevtse

kevtse Member

he definitely need to be more consistent on his three point shots.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Defensively, yes. Leadership wise, yes. Rising to the occasion late in playoff games, yes.

14. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

He doesn't need anything for the regular season.

He needs something to go to when he's dead tired in the playoffs and doesn't have the legs for a 3-point shot. He also needs something to go to when the refs swallow their whistle in the playoffs and allow defenses to foul hard on every drive. I think a running floater or anything else he can release before being pummeled by the defense.

pippendagimp and hakeem94 like this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Lots of good ideas here - James has improved noticeably every summer. Frankly I'm surprised he doesn't get more credit for the strides he has made each offseason over the last 4 years. I could see value in all the things mentioned here but I think the focus needs to be on what he can add to his game to help him deep in the playoff rounds.
    - More consistent 3pt shooting would be huge
    - adding a mid range floater to complement the deceleration/pullup move might help him get a groove when his shots aren't falling and the opposition is sitting in the paint waiting for him. Teams who want to crowd him at the 3pt line and meet him at the rim will have to give him that shot if they want to play him that way.
    - improving his stamina/working on getting a little lighter or maybe learning to stagger his minutes lighter in the 1st half would all help him with the deep 4th quarter stretch. I know James really likes to get into a groove early on and get a lot of minutes in the first half but it does him a disservice later in tight games when every little bit helps.

Really anything he does is icing on the cake though - he is still one of the greatest iso scorers of all time, a passing savant, a high b-ball IQ guy, and an expert at creating shots for others - he has even turned into a passable defender when he needs to be. The thing that prevented him from getting a title this year was CP's injury. Harden can't go 1 All Star vs 4 All Stars for long stretches - not even Lebron(aka the GOAT) can do that.

Stormy1234 and pippendagimp like this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i like the way CP3 sets up his midrange shot, but i'd actually prefer harden using the glass (like thomas/dumars) as opposed to chris' method. this is because when you use the glass you can put a much higher arc on the shot without having to really even jump to get it over the defense. CP3's midrange shot requires him to create a lot of lift and then release at the top of his jump with his back arched, often even falling/fading back. so this kind of shot requires a lot more effort to get off. it's interesting to me that for what seems like the first time in his career, lebron started using the grounded midrange bankshot from the corners that i'm talking about in these past playoffs too.

17. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I think he can add some cutting to his game and looking for more opportunities to play off-ball. Stamina is key because we saw what he's like when he's locked in on defense. If he can do some scoring while playing at that level, we good.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Increase his offensive versatility so that he doesn't just jack a lot of 3s when he's clearly not hitting them.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cutting to the basket would help
    Mid Range of course

Honestly . . . Just another summer with CP3 will definitely help
    I think the natural improvement of familiarity will help

I want LeBron
    but
    If he does not come I think the Rockets can still be contenders
    Hell . .. If they had gotten ANYTHING from RYNO and MBah Moute (as in him not being injured) they have rings

Rocket River

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe LeBron could teach Harden how to have heart