1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can I throw away other people's mail?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kyakko, Jan 13, 2010.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Well, nobody is a hasty generalization. Some people do care, but you won't hear from them soon. You will hear from the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, though, sir. You CANNOT throw it away:
    :eek:

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I throw other people's mail away all the time. Throw away Jury Summons too. Never been hassled by the man yet.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oh No! It's illegal!

Dammit.

Guess I better just keep a collection of the 3 pieces of other people's mail I get per week and make a monthly trip to the post office.

The Government deserves my valuable time.

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I am debating on responding...can't figure out if this is drunk angry moes or sober moes

You don't take it to the post office. Just put wrong addy return to sender and leave it in your mailbox (to the OP...if it's collection notices...they will not stop sending them)

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Did you volunteer or do charity work?

Seems like it was a gift from God.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sarcastic maybe?

I've tried that "return to sender" crap.

At my old apartment there was a cluster**** of mail from foreigners who never bothered to change their addresses. I got them every day. Nothing I tried helped. Return to Sender? Nope. I even had my name written in the mailbox like that one guy said.

Whats worse I had several pieces of mail stolen from me, or received letters that had been opened.

So if the Mail system wants my help after they obviously don't give a **** about personal belongings they can cram it with walnuts.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It may be illegal to destroy the mail. I'm not destroying it. Its in perfect condition when it leaves my possession. ;)

8. Blake

settle down, young sportsman. I realize you come from a long line of frontiersman and outdoors-types

9. SwoLy-D

:( Well, I guess it's not written in BBS form for you to understand :p. It didn't say you HAD TO make a trip to the post office. There are instructions for you to just leave it for the mail person to pick up without you having to go here.
    You're correct, sir. It says "it may be illegal to destroy." That's just a note about "destruction." Above that, it also says what to do with it, like what to write on it, where to place it, to whom you should hand the mis-delivered piece, etc., when you keep it in "perfect" condition. It should only leave your possession as instructed there. :cool:

Still, the initial question is "can I throw away" and the answer is NO.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Believe me, if there is one thing that gets me riled up, its the service at the Post Office. I don't like the service at the post office. You know, it's all
    "rush rush! get'cha in, get'cha out!" Then they've got those
    machines in the lobby, they're even faster, no help there. You
    might even say, I hate the post office.
    That, and my parents. Lousy beatniks.

11. Blake

Neddie!

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, that "name on the mailbox" and that "return to sender!" stuff is garbage. Those have had ZERO effect for us. We get other people's mail constantly.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

Nice :)

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

BS. They made a law about it, but the Federal Government doesn't care either. How many prosecutions have you ever heard about for destruction of mail? Throw the crap away; no one, including the federal government, gives a ****.

15. SwoLy-D

:confused: So... because no one ever gets indicted for a law... people should break it? I'm wondering if that's your rationale about telling the thread starter that it's OK to throw someone else's belongings in the trash. I don't know about any prosecutions, but... is that the reason you're going to give when someone DOES catch you throwing away someone else's mail?

If you tried to mail something to your friend, and your friend no longer lived there, and I went there and found it in the trash... I do not think it would be right for me to keep it...

Still, the answer is "NO, you cannot throw away someone else's mail." :eek:

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

swoly, dude....you take the strongest stands on the most random and meaningless issues...

What's your opinion on tearing the tags off of mattresses? I'm almost afraid to ask...

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I used to, and occasionally will still mark not at this address if I believe it to be important. It just gets to be such a hassle.

18. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I open it if it looks interesting or if I need something to read while taking a dump

Otherwise I either throw it away in the garbage or just throw it in the street and let it be mister wind's responsibility

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

[​IMG]

20. SwoLy-D

You think THAT's strong... why is it "random"? It's just a simple answer to a yes or no question. It's a "NO."
    Start a thread about it and we might just discuss that. :eek: This is not the place for that, sir. If you're afraid, please seek counseling. ;)

:eek: And, Mr. 'tavern19, sir... it's "¡Ay, ay, ay!"... that image is wrong.