1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can burners clone/copy games?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Francis3422, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Does anyone know if Cd burners can clone or copy games?

------------------
    I do not believe in god. And it is nice to know that I am going to hell with Hitler, and McVeigh. Although I do not know why.

2. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

usually they can do it just fine, a program like CDRWin which rips raw sectors and can reburn raw sectors is nice for this, if you're talking about psx games, the games will run just fine as long as you have a mod chip, though some games do mod detection, so the best thing to do is install a mod chip and make a switch to enable/disable it.

------------------
    Whatever happened to feminism being about taking off bras and burning them? That was so much cooler. It had two things that men love - jiggly breasts and fire.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

CAVEAT: You shouldn't make illegal copies of CDs. But, for your own use in accordance with the licensing, it is acceptable.

Now that I've said that, yes, yes you can make copies.

This is the key:

<a href="http://www.elby.de/CloneCD/english/">Clone CD</a>

The program makes AN EXACT COPY of any CD you throw at it. Usually, you need a crack or something because software is usually protected, but CloneCD basically does a bit by bit copy of any CD, and I've done fine with everything EXCEPT for EA Sports Madden 2001. And that may be fixed with the newer version, but I've been able to copy literally everything with no problems. And it's MUCH faster than other CD copiers -- I use it for all my bootleg trading.

Like I said in another thread, I don't know how I ever made copies without it . . .

------------------
    "We must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom." --Kang

4. THE BREESE

THE BREESE Member

does that work with ps2 or do you need the mod still

------------------

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

OH MY GOD !!!

What the hell are you guys doing? Buy the games !! Support the people like me who put TONS of hours and YEARS into making a good game like.

Conquest Frontier Wars.

This thread is making me ill.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

6. THE BREESE

THE BREESE Member

its not that im to cheap to buy the game,I bought ncaa 2002 and when i got it it was scratched, and like an idiot walked out without checking the cashier had put the reciept in my bag. So there is no way in hell i will pay another 55$ to get a game that I should already have

------------------

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

DaDa,

Didn't you dabble with some DSS products?

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Dream threads!

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I'm all for buying the games, and I do purchase them . . . I NEVER pirate games. Just providing the info on how to make a copy. I have made copies before in order to have 2 copies for network (some games don't have spawns), or because a CD has too many scratches (CloneCD has awesome error fixing).

But by ALL MEANS, buy the product.

------------------
    "We must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom." --Kang

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

All the pro-Napster sentiment on this board changed my opinion. I'm very much pro-piracy at this point. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Doing stuff is overrated. Hitler did lots of stuff..."
    FilmDallas.com
    ThingFromUranus.com

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You may copy your PS1 or PS2 Games or buy them with the use of a mod chip only if you own the original copy of the game .

------------------
    S.O.S.
    Save Our Signatures!

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Ya, but what are you gonna do? [​IMG] What about the poor college student who can't afford $60 bucks for a new game. Or what about the inner city youth who will stay indoors playing video games instead of hustling outside. The profit margin on these games is obscene.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I hope one of those poor college students comes by and robs your house. I'm sure you won't get mad because it's a "poor college student". Good Lord, people come up with the stupidest excuses for this stuff. "I'm broke, so I have to steal it". Gee, how about doing without it? Duh.

It's interesting you justify the stealing of software by saying "their profit margins are too high and they're screwing us". I suppose you steal other things, too, then? Such as tv's, cars, etc.?

Of course you don't because you know you have a better chance of getting caught if you stole those items... you can't really steal those so easily in the privacy of your own home.

------------------
    "Colson makes a mockery of the PG position. It's like he's out there playing 1 on 9." -- pippendagimp with some candid player evaluations.

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited August 01, 2001).]

13. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

I don't really see how this became a thread about the (im)morality if software piracy, all the man was asking was if burners could clone/copy games, there are many legit reasons to do this, which I do, and until shown otherwise, I'll assume he's participating in, instead of piracy.

------------------
    Whatever happened to feminism being about taking off bras and burning them? That was so much cooler. It had two things that men love - jiggly breasts and fire.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

By all means make copies as backups, that is just smart.

However, whomever said our margins are huge is smoking something illegal.

Do you realize the game I just finished took 4+ years to make, and 7 million dollars?

To break even we have to sell at least 300,000 units world wide.

Personally, I think the game will more then double that, but if it doesn't, look for me in the nearest soup kitchen.

[​IMG]

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Its weird, sometimes i start threads and they get like 100 responses but the topic kinda changes lol

------------------
    I do not believe in god. And it is nice to know that I am going to hell with Hitler, and McVeigh. Although I do not know why.

16. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

You obviously didn't put much thought into that post, I copy every single game I have, playstation or computer. why? Because I have an 8 year old brother, who has done quite a good job of destroying some of the game I BOUGHT, and I don't feel like I should have to pay for another copy of the game simply because I didn't have enough foresight to back it up. So I make backups and use those, and keep the originals put away, so if anything happens to the copy i'm playing, i just bust out the original and burn another copy.

------------------

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<h1>Buy the games</h1>

We are not talking about the big music industry here. These are very small companies usually. These guys are chasing a dream to live their life making games for you.

Small garage bands don't always do it for money. They can have a job on the side and still jam. It is all about the jam, and playing in front of live fans.

game programmers and artists are not the same. They cannot have another job. They work 10 hrs a day to make these games. They need the revenue stream to survive to make more games.

Buy the games. You'll spend more money at ONE CONCERT than you will on that game.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You obviously didn't read his post. He did not say "don't copy." I'm sure DaDakota appreciates your patronage and advocates making back-up.

mrpaige

explain to me why this is so similar to the music industry. If we do not buy games enough, these programmers and artist lose their ability to create. Bands can always find venues to jam--do their art--and even make a little touring money. gamers cannot without the revenue stream.

Besides, aren't there bands who are behind napster. They like the exposure. I can tell you; there are NO game companies behind making $1million pieces of freeware soley for exposure.

And it is incorrect to think that these are big game companies. EA might be big, but don't they invest in smaller companies, and fund game projects. If you don't buy from EA, you hurt the industry.

Even outside the CD-ROM industry (which wasn't part of this thread), Sony and Nintendo fund game projects for sure. If the title doesn't sell, that small company doesn't make it.

[This message has been edited by crispee (edited August 01, 2001).]

19. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

disclaimer
    IMPORTANT:

THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT DESIGNED FOR THE ILLEGAL AND UNAUTHORIZED DUPLICATION OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS. THE AUTHOR REMINDS THAT UNAUTHORIZED DUPLICATION OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IS LIABLE TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF YOUR RIGHTS, PLEASE REFER TO YOUR LOCAL LEGAL ADVISOR.

[​IMG]

------------------
    This space left intentionally blank...

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

DaDakota,

Did you miss my question about DSS usage?

Mango