1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Brandon Roy do anything without a pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheFreak, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

The first game where he drained the 3 on us to win the game.

Didn't he had a smooth crossover on Ron Ron to get the easy layup in crunch time?

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How would compare Roy to Clyde Drexler in his Portland days?

3. Asian Sensation

Clyde is my all time favorite player so I may be biased but he was a freak in his Portland days. Roy has better handles and Drexler was the more athletic player thus he was a better rebounder. Everything else is pretty similar except Clyde was a highlight reel. Man was unstoppable when he put his head down and went on the break.

Also Clyde often drew comparisons and was 2nd only to Michael Jordan in the 91-92 season (Speaks volumes on how good Clyde was) before MJ set himself apart in those finals.

I love having Roy here in Portland and hope that he can have a long and illustrious career as Clyde did.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Brandon Roy is a better outside shooter which also makes him a better pick and roll threat. Roy also handles the ball better in half court offense.

Clyde was a far superior athlete. He was a better post player and used his height to his advantage. He was also a better fast break player, both in terms of initiating and finishing. Clyde was one of the best rebounding guards in the league for years. IMO, Clyde was also a better defender, although Roy is not bad either.

Both are great competitors but one thing I have noticed is that Roy likes to push the issue more at times.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

On a last possession in a playoff game, who'd you rather have?

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Brandon Roy because of his outside shooting.

BTW, I don't know if you remember Terry porter from Trailblazers when he teamed up with Clyde in the back court. He was one of my favorite guards back in the days. Brandon Roy is sort of a hybrid of Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter. He can do pretty much everything both of those could do but certain things not as good as either.

#26 Zboy, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  7. lalala902102001

If Brandon Roy were on the Rockets, he would be our best player and would make Houston a legit contender. Roy is one of the best fourth quarte players in the NBA.

8. DreamRoxCoogFan

Pick and Roll is the most successful play in basketball. Its radically simple and difficult to defend. Pros and kids alike can use it effectively.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree with the other comments comparing Roy and Drexler. We can only hope Roy has a comparable and lengthy career to Clyde. As good as Roy is, it's doubtful because of his injury problems.

When it comes to the specific issue of last possession of a game, it's an easy decision for me: Roy. I've seen him do it so many times starting in his rookie year.

10. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Brandon Roy does have a pretty lethal crossover. But like others have said, pick and roll/pick and pop is Portland's bread and butter, and they'll run it till you're sick of it.

11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Good points. I just wouldn't use Deron Williams as a comparison to Roy's alleged inability (by the OP) to *really* break down a defender. The dude has one of the sickest crossovers in the league. He breaks down defenders whenever he feels like it...just ask Rafer.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Roy's game reminds me of Stockton with a two guard body. He just controls the game and never seems like he is in any rush. I think he will have a great career because of it since he doesn't need athleticism to be effective. He will always be able to get his shot off in a PnR situation unless they change the rules.