1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Asik co-exist with Dwight (If Rockets get him)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sleepyazn, Jun 5, 2013.

1. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Alright so this is my first thread so don't totally kill me for this. This is all based on the assumption that Rockets will indeed manage to land Dwight Howard and keeping Ömer Aşık. Quite frankly, this duo on the front court can either make or break the Rockets.

Let's break down the positives.

1. Great interior defense. With both Aşık and Dwight, Rockets will always have a true defensive big man in the interior. This also fixes the problem from this year when Rockets defense basically goes down the toilet when Aşık sits down.

2. Pick and Roll situation. Just think about it, if Rockets get Dwight then when the guards orchestrate the pick and roll, most likely target would be Dwight. Therefore Aşık who is already an afterthought in the offense should be getting a lot more clean looks at the basket with Dwight pulling double teams. Hopefully Aşık would stop doing silly ballerina lay ups as well.

3. Dwight should average 3 blocks or more a game. Now many will doubt this prediction but hear me out. Dwight has never played with another big man with the defensive presence of Aşık. Aşık, himself while a good defender, lack the athleticism to really get up into the air but instead very good at forcing opponents to change their shots. With that, Dwight should get a lot more opportunities to swat those changed shots away.

Negatives
    1. Clogging of the paint. With two massive bodies and Dwight commanding double teams, there will be a lot less room for Lin, Harden, and Parsons to drive into. This is especially true for this Rockets team since our offense revolves entirely around driving into the paint and kicking it out or passing.

2. Freethrows. Neither Aşık or Dwight is very good at freethrows. These open opportunities for teams to start hacking at them. Look at the Clippers, often times in the fourth quarter only Griffin is on the field since Jordan can't shoot freethrows. While Aşık has shown mental fortitude even in hostile environments in BIG situations, Dwight is more a head case.

In my opinion, the positives outweigh the negatives for the most part. I'm also very positive that Aşık could develop a good midrange set shot. While he rarely shot it this year, the times that he did shoot, he scored. So give your reasons on why this duo can work out or won't.

2 people like this.
  2. pnr

pnr Member

I say we give it a go this year with everyone from last year + dwight. If it doesnt work out, trade assets and get ready for the FA palooza next offseason.

3. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I guess you didnt know dwight played with gortat

4. jvu

jvu Member

There is a rockets.com video on YouTube that has Jason Friedman and Chris Ackerman explaining this scenario for 8 minutes. It is posted in the GaRM and I put a breakdown in it so you can skip the blabber talk

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm curious to see what the responses are now that some say Dwight may be intrigued by it. I asked the same question about a month ago and it wad met almost universally with a no.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If we have Asik and Dwight, we should absolutely make sure that one of them is on the court for 48 minutes a game (unless we're getting throttled by small ball or something). Starting them at the same time seems like such a waste, and possibly a mess.

7. WNBA

WNBA Member

no. They cannot. Asik should be traded before the season starts while his value is still high.

8. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

^this

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

This is what I've been asking my self so many times, if Dwight comes can they co exist together? I think they are going try that experiment, and if doesn't work they're going to trade Asik on trade dead line for sure.

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Great thread by the way 5 stars!!! This are the type of threads I want to see.

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

If it doesn't work his trade value remains high beyond the trade deadline, eg trade chip for next draft day deal.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Playing them together would be very difficult (and easily exploited if the opponent has a stretch 4/5 or goes small).

#13 baller4life315, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I like the idea of having Asik on the team, he really justified Morey's faith in him.

He makes a little too much money, and he's a too talented, to become a backup center again.

I don't know if Morey will keep Asik for the time being, if it would help Dwight's peace of mind; he's probably not 100% healthy yet and would see someone who could step in while he's out and keep his minutes down.

Can Dwight play some significant minutes at the 4 without opposing teams smoking us with small ball? It might be possible.

How did Cato at the 4 work? I honestly don't remember.

Or Daryl Morey could try to swing a deal with, say, a Cleveland or a Charlotte for their lottery pick (putting T-rob and whatever else in the mix). Etc etc. (Although this would practically scream, "I already know we got Dwight!") And swing a deal for a more affordable backup center.

15. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

and with Battie and Milicic, there was a time that Howard started as PF and Milicic/Battie played C, well that was before the small ball/shooters +1 bigman became a trend

16. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Already posted, noob. But reps for including the squiggly on Asik's name.

17. MONON

MONON Member

I think we keep Asik if we get Howard & they each play 30 to 35 minutes a game. Who starts isn't the question, because they'll be on the court at the same time most of the game. Our front court'll be Howard, Asik & pf by committee.

If Howard & Asik doesn't work out this year, Asik could be a used to get us LMA or Love.

18. dje243

dje243 Member

The only pieces I would really want to trade him for are LMA or Love. I don't know that either of those could/would happen. Minny might consider it if they are losing Pek... and they surely see that the writing is on the wall for Love. That fool is gone when free agency comes. So we could do something like Asik + Dmo or Asik + Jones. It works in the trade machine but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't in real life.

19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

We started Greg smith at the 4 and had no spacing issues. H

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

IIRC, Yao's immediate comment after the T-Mac trade was that he wished they'd kept Cato.

Cato was the weakside shotblocker the Rockets tried every season to find to put next to Yao but never did.