1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Anyone Save Kevin Garnett...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kbm, Feb 27, 2001.

1. kbm

kbm Member

from the timberwolves? an organization stupid enough to sign a player to a deal that knowingly violates league cap rules. a coach who, despite his good press this year, hasnt advanced his team past the first round of the playoffs in his six-year term as head coach--doesn't deserve a player like KG. i can remember when dream seem to be in the same situation. the rockets a mediocre team making the playoffs with a superstar center but never making a serious run at the championship. let's not let this travesty of wasted talent happen to KG. no! let us rise up against the t-wolves and proclaim with a mighty voice of triump KG is coming to HOUSTON! coming to a city where we never underestimate the heart of a champion. the rockets clutch city, usa. can you dig it. cannn you diggg it.

------------------
    I am an invisible man.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think its way past your bedtime. Go to sleep and dream up how we can also save Shaq from Kobe.

------------------

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look, there is little to no chance that KG will ever come to Houston. Secondly, you compare the Wolves and KG to the early Rockets with Hakeem. Now it may be true that they are getting to the playoffs, and not making noise just like the Rockets of the early 90's, but then the Rockets won two championships with Hakeem at the helm.

So by your analogy, if KG just stays put for 2-3 more years, he will win some championships. [​IMG]

------------------
    "all your base are belong to us!"
    "you have no chance to survive make your time!"

4. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

The Timberwolves made ONE mistake since they came into the league. They are allowed that.

Look at how they built that organization and because of greed, it came crumbling down. They had:

Marbury
    Garnett
    Rider
    Gugliotta

A hell of a nucleus. They drafted correctly and had a young group to die for. And what happened? Rider is a headcase and left. Gugliotta got greedy and left. Marbury is a moron and left to a team that is just pathetic. Now, Garnett remains. They correctly locked him up thinking that all the other guys wouldn't mind playing with the most versatile, gifted, and most down to earth big man in a long time.

Oh, and they hired Kevin McHale which gave them instant credibility. He went and got all the right players. Its not his fault they are gone. Look at what they have become after leaving Garnett and the T-Wolves.

I think the other players need saving if you ask me.

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx
    See Homepage for reason.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I sure as hell dont! Say it with me: DEATH TO THE T-WOLVES!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------

6. kbm

kbm Member

I never said KG would come to Houston. In fact, the topic of this thread is CAN ANYONE SAVE KG, not can the rockets. [​IMG]

If minnesota gets a coach like rudy, then yes minnesota will win a championship! There is no doubt in my mind.

My point exactly Rocket River.

------------------
    I am an invisible man.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Since the Timbervolves don't have any low post players and also don't have a draft pick till 2003,why don't we trade Cato to them?If anything he can improve their shot blocking and give them some rebounding and maybe a few points as well.Even if Joe Smith resigns with the Wolves they will still need a center.We should trade Cato for anyone that we can get.One player that could be useful to us could be Billups,who is a good shooter and defender.

------------------

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Bravo Almu! I couldn't agree with you more. If the T-Wolves could have kept their core players a few years ago we might be talking about Minnesota repeating instead of L.A.

------------------
    "Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives,
    but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is." -- Barbara Bush

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rudy would have been able to Cool Rider
    Make Googs and Mebury happy and got them
    to the conference Finals at least 3 times

Rocket River
    :) . . . . Just had to throw that in
    for the flip Saunders Debate crowd :)

------------------

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Gotta disagree on this point, Almu: they knew Rider was a headcase when they drafted him. That was back in the day when the Wolves ignored character issues; they also wasted a pick on Laetner.

The Gugs fiasco also didn't have to happen. They knew he wanted to leave and still refused a nice trade the Lakers were offering (Jones and Campbell, I think).

Marbury's leaving hurt, but they did get a nice PG back in Brandon. IMHO that they would have been better off with a straight-up trade for Cassell, instead of the 3 way deal.

What hasn't been mentioned is the loss of Malik Sealy, and Joe Smith. Malik filled a critical role for that club before his tragic death. Smith's contract fiasco was a result of terrible bungling by that club. They deserved everything they got in that case.

What Minnesota needs to be successful is a solid low-post player. Basically right now they're a jump shooting team (and that includes KG). But without draft picks or cap room, I wish them luck filling that need.

------------------
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

I think the tiberwolves made the right move by drafting laetner. He was a great college player and had a lot of potential, taking him made sense. He even became a pretty good player, but the losing got to him and his attitude became a problem.
    And I don't think marbury was stupid for wanting to play near home and be with his family.

------------------

12. TheRedSon

TheRedSon Member

I don't understand how anyone thinks Rudy would have more luck with Rider than Saunders did (or any other coach he's played for for that matter). Rudy didn't exactly do a great job with a disgruntled Maxwell. No one can fix Rider's problems but J. R. Rider.

------------------

13. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Sorry, I guess I just read this and made the crazy assumption that you were suggesting that KG would come to Houston... Sorry, I will not jump to wild conclusions anymore. [​IMG]

------------------

14. kbm

kbm Member

RunninRaven,

You got me there. I guess I should read my own post before I argue that I never said so and so when clearly I did say so and so. But really this whole post was not some dreamcast fantasy that I thought we could ever get KG. I know we can't! The KG to houston business was just a silly speech I wrote. I never meant for anyone to take it literally. And as Rockets03 said, it was way past my bedtime. [​IMG]

------------------
    I am an invisible man.

15. KG

KG Member

KG is going to stay. period.

He loves this team and has so much here that he would leave behind. Every Single game You'll se a smile on his face and he really gets along with Flip. Also with Joe Smith coming back its just one more reason why he would love to stay.

---------------------------------------------
    Founder of www.nbazone.net

Were looking for Rocket Fans to write for www.rocketszone.com

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

KG is staying, but Joe Smith will never be a Timberwolf again. Stern will never allow it.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

17. KG

KG Member

David Stern may not like it ,but theres really nothing he can do.

------------------
    Timberwolves Online Coming Soon! www.twolves-online.com

18. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

There is lots David Stern can do. All deals have to be approved by the league office. Trust me, Daivd Stern will never willingly let Joe Smith sign with the T'Wolves.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

They still have their second round picks. Maybe, if we loan them Rudy to help with their second round picks, they'll trade us Sczer..Szer..Szce.., uh... Wally for Cato. [​IMG]

------------------

20. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Hmmm, I like that deal a lot, Hottoddie. I think Wally World would be a good fit for this team... but it would make me nervous to trade away Cato for a SF, unless we already knew that:

a: Dream would resign
    b: We would be able to sign a center in Free agency
    c: We could trade for a decent center
    d: We draft a good center

------------------