1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anyone put the "YAO got tackled" clip to Youtube?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flyant, Mar 5, 2007.

1. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

it DOES NOT matter if Z touched the ball or not

you CANNOT dive in front of a player while he is driving towards the basket

if yao DIVED in front of anybody while they were driving and undercut there legs, it would at least be an intentional foul, possibly suspension

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Wow to all the people who thought that was a clean steal/swipe. :rolleyes:
    Yao needs to start wearing some elbow, shoulder and knee pads to protect himself. He's way too valuable to our franchise to have him hurt again on some freak accident.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

wow

I was watching NBA league pass and they did not show this all in detail

****in disgusting move by Big Z!

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

It was clearly a foul. I don't think it's Illgazcus intentionally wanted to hurt Yao (he tripped, and then instinctively lunged for the ball) but it wasn't exactly a clean play either. It's not exactly like Malone and Bowen (intentionally hurting players to intimidate them), but his goal at the time was merely to stop a drive anyway possible.

To me intentional foul require some pre-meditation, which I don't believe Z had, but his reaction wasn't to clearly strip the ball either but rater impede progress.

And to all those that said it was a clean strip, just because your hand got all ball does not mean it's a clean strip.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If that "foul" by Rafer on Hughes at the end of the game is considered a foul, what the hell is this then on Yao?

Rafer reached across Hughes's body to tip a shot attempt off his outstretched hand with hardly any body contact whatsoever. He got called for mostly "seeming" out of a good defensive position.

Ilgauskas without his feet under him is already falling to the floor right when Yao starts his drive, putting his big body right in front of Yao's legs like a steeplechase obstacle. He swipes at the ball almost from his back. He's making a hustle play and is going for the ball, but its not a clean hustle play. I don't think even Derek Fisher would get way with that.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pt9So1GpsPs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pt9So1GpsPs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

6. Fuse

Fuse Member

Well then, lets just start building barricades in front of TD when he gets that ball at the top of the key. It surely is effective! At worst, its an on the ground foul since he is still dribbling :p

7. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Mike Brown claimed that was a brilliant play. I just hope someone on the Rockets team can be man enough and return the favor to the beloved James and let them see how brilliant this type of play really is.

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Finally got to watch the video and have looked over it a few times. IMO its a foul but its not dirty or intentional. Ilgaskus (sp) was trying to make a hard play and not hurt Yao. Here's what I see on the play.

1. Yao grabs the rebound at the top of the key and puts the ball down with his left hand and drives to the hoop.

2. Ilgaskus is on Yao's right hand side as Yao drives.

3. Ilgaskus tries to step accross Yao's body to reaching for the ball with his right hand.

4. Ilgaskus loses his balance and has his left hand out which touches Yao's right leg on the shorts underneath the hip. Yao is coming forward on his right leg.

5. Ilgaskus doesn't pull Yao down as on the slow mo Yao's shorts don't move downward as they would if he was grabbed.

6. Ilgaskus pulls his left hand off of Yao's shorts as he simultaneously hits the ball with his right hand.

7. Ilgaskus realizing he is going to get hits turns away as Yao's right leg hits Ilgaskus on the back and side.

8. Yao rolls over Ilgaskus.

Here's why IMO it should be a foul. Ilgaskus throws himself accross Yao's path of travel from one side of him to the other virtually guarenteeing contact. Yao cannot pull up and Ilgaskus is moving so that should be a blocking foul. Even if he gets to the ball before Yao trips over him its a continuing motion with only a fraction of a second difference and not a full step between the strip and the impact. Even besides that it is clear Ilgaskus puts his hand on Yao before he gets the ball.

Next if the strip is considered clean and a separate incident from the trip you still can't trip people. Otherwise you could set picks by lying down infront of a defender.

It doesn't look like a dirty play to me. Ilgaskus looks like he is clearly making a play at the ball but whether you consider a foul on the strip or the strip clean its a foul.

9. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

I watched it over and over. Big dirty Z got away with an intentional foul. the ******* refs are blind . guess admiring Lebron's dunk was just too important.

i understand why refs get beat up in soccer now.

10. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

A lot of girls in this BBS. :p

11. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

im behind u on this one, man. Z was trying to hurt Yao, it wasnt the first time, and got away with it cause of the stupid refs.

u just stated a fact, and others are giving u shyt over it. dont let em get u down.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Clear foul......the refs suck.

DD

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

He stated a fact that Ilgaskus' wife miscarried but he is stating opinion implying that Ilgaskus is upset about that and taking it out on Yao.

If he isn't implying that then Ilgaskus' wife's miscarriage has nothing at all to do with issue.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

big z is a big D

15. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

look what Lebron said.

-------------------
    Ilgauskas had just eight points but added three blocks, two steals and made things difficult for Yao.

"He had a great steal on Yao, hit the ball away and we got a fast-break dunk,'' James said.
    -------------------
    http://www.nba.com/games/20070305/HOUCLE/recap.html

16. Astockmarketgod

just because I am saying it was a clean strip... dosent mean he didnt foul Yao..

put aside the fact if it was intentional foul or not... and if Big Z did use his left hand to pull down Yao or not...

bottom line is he undercut Yao.... and that should have been a foul in it self....

most of us agree its a foul...and are arguing apples and oranges....

for the ones who dont think it was a foul... well...then...

17. Astockmarketgod

one more thing... I have said this before... Yao needs to start laying down some hurt...he needs to make it clear that if you get in his way you get hurt...

or else he is going to have a short Career... and we wont see a Championship anytime soon...

You think if Shaq was in the same situation... big Z would have done that...

no way in H*ll... because Shaq would have made sure he landed on Big Z for sure... with a knee or two....

its obvious...Tmac and Yao dont get the respect that Lebron and Wade or Kobe get... I think it is time they went out and got it...

18. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

ya..i cant believe people here are saying that wasn't a foul. intentional or not Big Z layed there infront of yao and tripped him. forget the steal. u can't trip someone like that.

2nd yao should def use people to land on. like the first time he got hurt..he should have landed on tim thomas.

19. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

What made me really mad is the comments from Cavs coach Mike Brown. He basically said that was a brilliant play on the part of Big D(irty) Z. :mad: :mad:

20. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Clearly a chopblock. Not only a missed call, but a flagrant.

Stern should fine / suspend Z, and frankly City of Cleavland DA should file assault charges.