1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anyone put the "YAO got tackled" clip to Youtube?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flyant, Mar 5, 2007.

1. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

^^^Sorry wrong Z...

2. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

How did he get on the ground? He throw his body in front of Yao's path. You do that in football, not basketball.

Like I said, if NBA allows move like that in a nightly basis, then each team better prepare for a long active roster.

3. whoisray

Our boys Battier and Hayes throws their body infront all the time which is a smart move to get a charge. Dude, I WISH that play was a foul on big Z. I am not trying to argue with you but I saw the replays and its a clean steal. I've seen COUNTLESS times where the ball is stripped and both players hit the floor.

4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

You are comparing apples and oranges. Battier and Hayes fall down after they are hit by the offensive player. Zydrunas threw his body in front of Yao's legs, causing the collision. Isn't that called a slide tackle in soccer?

Yes the steal was clean, but a player shouldn't be allowed to cause that kind of contact in order to create a steal.

5. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

I was so freaking scared. I didn't think he was going to get up. Meanwhile, the refs were running the court so they could see their beloved King James show off with an alley-oop.

6. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

I thoguth you have to STAND in the path of the opponent to get a charge. :confused: I don't remember ever saw Battier tackle like that. I can't believe you think it is clean. Man, just think about, if it is allowed, how many injuries will occur on the court?

7. whoisray

What contact did Z do to make the steal? He made no contact before or even during the steal. Yao tripped over Z after the steal. It's called incidental contact.

8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

That was far from incidental. The only way Z could get to the ball was by throwing his body in front of Yao's legs. If a defender hits a jump shooter immediately after he releases a shot, it is still a foul.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Actually, that's the reason they have the loose-ball foul.

You don't have to have the ball to be fouled. Otherwise anyone could just fall down in front of any player on the other team without the ball, causing them to trip, and it not be a foul.

Incidental contact is something completely different.

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

its incidental contact because he thre himself infront of Yao. Again, this was bad noncall. Were the NBA to allow this, it would be disastrous.

11. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I haven't seen the play but from the description it sounds like a loose ball foul. You can't just throw yourself infront of a moving opponent to try to steal the ball for both your safety and the other players. So you are correct that it is dangerous for both players but part of the rules are to guarentee the safety of all players. If this was aloose ball and a mad scramble that would be something different since you're not diving into the player's legs.

I will have to see the tape but all the descriptions I've heard it sounds like a blown call.

12. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

13. Sextuple Double

Just saw the play, that was horrible. It was a clear foul. If that was legal and I was playing against a team like the Spurs, I would just lay myself out on the ground everytime Duncan makes a move and get myself around 12-15 steals a game.

Problem is this is the first time a move like this has been seen(as far as I know). Most likely league officials didn't know what to do when it happened and will get together during review sessions and start making the call should a similar move happen again. Then again, had that been Wade getting stripped it might have been called a flagrant.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

there is no question that was a foul. brutal officiating down the stretch. we put ourselves in a spot we're the refs could take it away but **** they didn't actually have to do it.

15. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

thanks, Billy Packer.

16. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

its on ESPN.com, the highlights

17. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

word doesn't belong there

18. hotballa

whats their take on it?

19. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

thanks for the heads-up.

i just saw the clip, and good lord, if that's not a fuhkin foul, i dunno what is. he literally took yao's legs out from under him. he may have knocked the ball out, but he hadn't gained possession of it yet. meanwhile, he BROUGHT DOWN yao. that's a foul, regardless of him knocking the ball loose. if you trip a ballhandler after knocking the ball loose, the officials will call that a foul 10 times out of 10. this non-call was ridiculous. we should've won this game. what a joke.

20. hotballa