1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anyone put the "YAO got tackled" clip to Youtube?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flyant, Mar 5, 2007.

1. lilyken

lilyken Member

I'm totally with you.

Think about it, before big Z got down for deal, did he honestly think he could

make a clean steal without making Yao fall down hard? Anyone with a common

sense would not agree with that. That is he knows the consequence would be,

and he did it anyway, that is called INTENSIONAL!!!!

Yes, he did look like going after the ball, but there was not a doubt in his

mind that by doing that he would trip Yao over. And that is called

INTENSIONAL!!!

2. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Vs. the knicks, Spanoulis did something very similar to what Big Z did, but the contact wasn't nearly as extreme as Big Z's...yet, Spanoulis was called for a foul.

The play is around the 6:20 mark of R2K's highlight clip (11/20/06 game):
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3_sYaDi70D4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3_sYaDi70D4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Yao got screwed. Definitely should've been a foul on Big Z.

3. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

oops. on the ascending timer, it's around the 6:20 mark, but for the descending timer that shows up with embedded youtube, it's around the 1:35 mark.

4. zong

zong Member

Man, what are you talking about? Any play could lead to a player injure that can be a dirty play. You do not need an intention. Did you watch the game? Even Bill said Yao got injured again. No way worried, I will tell the Alex almost had a heart attach. Tell me why do you knock down a player who just come from a leg injure, and he is 7 and 6 tall?

5. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Given though Ilgauskus' size and Yao's size this was a play that had a high likelyhood of injuring Ilgauskus himself very badly. If Ilgauskus was just looking for the trip he would've turned his face and body away as soon as he went down, such as a soccer player won't turn the front of his body when slide tackling. In the video he is looking at the ball all the way with his body fronting Yao until he taps it and then tries to turn at the last moment.

The only thing that is clearly INTENTIONAL from the video is that he was trying for a steal. That he should've known he would trip Yao isn't obvious from the video. He might not have been thinking about it and was making a play on the ball.

Intentional or not its clearly a foul and should've been called.

6. gramineousworld

I'v thought Big Z was a decent player, so I don't want to believe he's trying to hurt Yao. But it's really dangerous, I'm just too scared to watch it the second time.

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If that's the case then why dont most players dive for the ball when trailing a guy on the fast break...it would seem like a good strategy because as long as you strip the ball cleanly when it's on its way down (on the dribble) then who cares that you take the other guys legs out. It's a foul plain and simple and the refs didn't call it...let's just be thankful that Yao is alright.

8. rocketsmetalspd

That was lame by big Z. He looks like he was going down on Yao and got lucky the Refs didn't call a foul.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

You meant intentional right?

10. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

Wow, the folks that say it was intentional are extremely reaching. You guys seriously think, it that spit second, he thought to himself, "I should trip up Yao so we can get the ball back." C'mon now, that's just ridiculous. Z is in no way a dirty player. He simply made a basketball move. He went from the steal, lost his balance, and Yao tripped over him. Yes it was a foul, but it was not a tackle or intentional.

11. sstww

sstww Member

Yao should learn to protect himself by sending a warning signal to players who do that kind of things. He could have easily give up on his legs on contact and let his knees connect with the guy's head on his way down. I can guarantee you that people would think twice before they do that kind of things to him again if he did that. Yao need to change his image as a nice guy on the court. Both his performance and the length of his professional life depend on this change that he needs to make.

12. fredthered

fredthered Member

Yeah, clean strip if you disregard him slaping Yao's right arm...and that whole tackling thing.

13. larocketer

larocketer Member

Guys, do not sit here arguing with each other, please! If you believe it is a foul and the refs refused to call it, send your emails or your letters to the league office to let them hear your voice!
    To send an email:
    http://www.nba.com/webAction?action.../email_us/email_form_041027.jsp&surveyId=1152
    To send a letter:
    The National Basketball Association, Attn: Fan Services, 645 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10022.

14. lilyken

lilyken Member

Yeah, I think so.
    This is the first time I use this word.

15. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

If Coach tells you that I tripped Yao, then that's that. I may have tripped him once this year but if somebody says i've been an habitual tripper my whole career, then that's enough to get a whole lot started. I told Coach Brown that you don't have to give the people of Cleveland a reason to think about trading me or anything like that. If you trade somebody, you trade them to make the team better...simple as that. I'm cool with that. I'm all about that. The people in Cleveland deserve to have a winner. It's simple as that. It goes further than that ... If I can't trip, I can't play defense. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about tripping. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about tripping. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about tripping, not a foul, not a foul, not a foul, but we're talking about tripping. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about tripping man. How silly is that? ... Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about tripping. We're talking about tripping man. We're talking about tripping. We're talking about tripping. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about tripping. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about tripping right now. ... Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about tripping man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about tripping ... How the hell can I play defense without tripping?

- Zydrunas Ilgauskas (when asked about the tripping incident)

16. Jd1

Jd1 Member

wow... speechless.

17. larocketer

larocketer Member

I know Iverson is not that good in giving a speech, but you expect Zydrunas Ilgauskas delivering that? Give me a break!

All he can say is this, "look, I just don't wanna to be dunked on my head. If I had to be humiliated, I'd take the foul. So that's what I did. And you know what? They(refs) didn't blow the whistle! Guess that's the advantage being Bron's teammate. I do feel sorry for Yao, but hey, even some Rockets fans tell me that's a clean steal, and good job from my part."

18. camp77

camp77 Member

Good no-call?!? It's not like a soccer slide-tackle where if you get the ball first it doesn't matter what happens afterward...