1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anyone guard LaMarcus Aldridge??

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by oakdogg, Feb 9, 2013.

1. AFS

AFS Member

Patterson was playing well and there was not much reason to change up a lineup that was working. Yes, LMA was getting his, but Rockets were still putting up more points because nobody else on the Blazers was stepping up.

Also, I think LMA would abuse DMo in the post. Don't think he's ready for the physicality required to guard one of the league's premiere bigs.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Interesting, so if the opportunity to acquire LMA arises, do you think the Rockets should pass on it?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Depends on what they have to give up. He's definitely worth pursuing IMO.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on whether the Blazers will be "buyers" or "sellers" this season. IMO, it will be very difficult for them to trade LA unless they fall off a cliff the next the next 2 weeks.

Trading him would shatter the remaining shred of cred the broken Blazers org still has.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

LaMarcus Aldridge is one of the top 20 players in the league for a reason. He definitely plays defense and he has a really good jumpshot. Pairing him with Harden would vault the Rockets into contenders.

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If push came to shove, I'd give up any player outside of Harden for Aldridge. But I would do whatever it took to keep Asik and Parsons out of it.

6. tomato

tomato Member

In the post, sure, but not in his mid range

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I like LaMarcus. But he has two flaws for a big man.

1) He is still a jump shooting big man. I will live with a jump shooting big man over someone who wreaks havoc close to the basket. Also, if you get physical with him you can throw him off.

2) Normally a very good free throw shooter, he has a habit of choking at free throws with the game on the line.

I should also add that he doesn't have the IT factor. The IT being the will to dominate and take over the game when it is on the line. He can be very passive at times.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My friend the diehard tells me Blazers fans say there is a reason he's #12: It's means 1/2 at the FT line when it really matters.

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He also has a habit of hitting game winners.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How many has he hit?

11. AFS

AFS Member

Which is why if Dmo was guarding him, LA would post him up and abuse him.

12. ribbit

ribbit Member

Funny thing I've noticed in his game... If it's a well-guarded turn-around jump shot, he almost never misses. But when it's an unguarded straight-up jump shot, there's a higher chance he misses.

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This. The best thing that can happen for the other team is for Aldridge to shot 18 foot jump shots.

14. what

what Member

If the Rockets could get Aldridge, I'd imagine that the rockets would trade anybody and everybody not named Harden.

They'd give up: asik, Lin, Parsons, picks, and anybody else the blazers would want to make a deal happen. In other words, they'd gut their team.

15. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

He is unguardable in the sense he shoots over everyone (super long arms, super high release point).

He beats himself though. He takes too many 20 footers (the Tmac special), which is one of the most if not the most inefficient shot. (Take a few feet back, and get your extra point).

I think he'd be better served to play more in the post. As tall/strong as he is, he should be shooting a lot better than 42%, but he settles for jumpers way too much.